• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2, Leyton Orient 2

Evening Echo

The News
BEN Reeves fired Southend United to Wembley and the final of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy with a dramatic stoppage time strike against Leyton Orient at Roots Hall tonight.

More...

That was EMOTIONAL!
Smithy did ok 8.
SC 8.
MP 8.
Luke 7. I hate those lofted slow left foot hoofs to give the ball away.
Barks 8.
Reeves 8
Leonard 8. controllable their right back
Hurst 7. quiet but worked hard in middle.
Woody 6. seemed too unsure.
Lund 7. some very good stuff and some not so good.
Britt 7. ran a lonely path.

BBBC 8, or 8.5, a bit of man love showing for the big man!

Referee? 7/10, mainly got it right.

Idiots on pitch, zero,

Value for money entertainment 10/10:clap:

Everyone played their part but at times we looked overawed and outgunned. We never really fashioned that many chances during the game. Orient were needlessly overphysical I thought given the amount of possession they actually had.

BBBC did a great job. Britt was again off the pace. When Orient went 2-1 up and looked like getting a third (the crossbar hit) I thought Fred or Harris should have come on for Britt to have someone hold the ball up to stem the tide. Trouble is we kept losing the ball cheaply again.

Of course none of this really matters now as when the opportunity came Corr and Reeves stepped up to the plate! Wembley here we come. The scenes after the game were amazing!

Mixed emotions.... Absolutely ecstatic about the result but a bit gutted to not be able to to make the final :(

Not pretty, but everyone dug in. Bazza was immense when he came on. Simply great achievement by the lads. UTB

OH boy made Witham in record time straight in the pub Oh yes and rubbed it in to the col u :thumbsup:

I don't believe it, after 46 years of supporting the club, Wembley at last!

Congrats to the whole team and the wonderful support, two great goals from Corr and Reeves.

Not the best game but gripping stuff, amazing!

Absolutely fabulous night, not at our best from a footballing point of view, but effort and committment was second to none. People have to remember we were playing a good orient side from league 1. One thing PS has installed in this team is a never say die attitude and that ultimately won us the tie over the two legs. Only sour note was the continuous use of the F word and C word being shouted from the back row of the East Yellows. Unfortunately two of the individuals also confronted me at half time after I asked them not to swear on front of the kids. They never appeared second half. Never mind Wembley here we come!

Ok I have had a chill out beer and will attempt to make sense of what just happened. My vantage point this evening was slap in the middle of the blue voice section. The troops were ready and the support was a joy to be associated with. The game started as I had feared. A case of men against boy's in the midfield and nothing sticking up top. Sturrock made a very brave and wise first half change. We were playing hoof ball through sheer panic so lets get corr on and make it stick up top. Helped with the shape and balance of the side too.

Smith 7 done everything required
Clohessey 8 once again showed he could easily play in league one
Phillips 7 good at times slow at others
Prosser 7 composed
Barker 7 composed but possibly should have done beyter for the second Orient goal
Reeves 8 ran his little legs off scored the winner
Lund 6 some good some bad good work rate
Hurst 7 the pick of the midfield great work for winner
Woodyard 5 just got bossed out of it
Leonard 7 solid display
Britt 7 worked really hard but was poop
Corr 9 quite simply put himself up for possible hall of fame status tonight what a dispkay of grit, skill, composure. I love you barry corr.

Paul sturrock 9 my starting 11 would have differed but his courage to change it in the first half was inspired.

Thought Sturrock got the team wrong from the start but top marks for changing. I think we thought it was still a 7:45 kick off because it took us half an hour to start playing.

Great goal from Corr at a time when we were really on top and let's not forget, this is a mid table League One side we were playing. They didn't give us any time on the ball at all.

Brilliant play from Hurst to get to the by-line for the pull back to Reeves and a cool finish too.

Haven't seen the Hall rock like that since we beat Man Utd. Fantastic. Now lets get revenge on Crewe.

Ratings

Smith 7 - Did what was expected, no chance with 1st and unnecessary stick for the 2nd when it was point blank and very hard.

Clohessy - 7 - Good job and decent linking play with Hurst.
Prosser - 7 - Did ok but gave the ball away from long passes too easily and too many times.
Phillips - 9 - MOM - missed very little and what a difference having him at the back.
Barker - 7 - unfortunate slip for their first but gave his all for the cause.

Hurst - 7 - Great for the equaliser but very often not in the game
Lund - 7 - Mixture of class and rubbish - but his class was excellent when it showed
Woodyard - 7 - Did nothing wrong but was tactically subbed and rightly so
Leonard - 8 - One of the best games I've seen from him, really put himself about and very good in the air

Assombalonga - 6 - Looked out of sorts, seems to have lost some pace. Maybe he thrives alongside Tomlin?
Reeves - 7 - Largely anonymous to be honest but what he did was good and of course he was in the right place in the last minute.

Sub -

Corr - 8.5 - Made all the difference when he came on and a great finish

Ref - 7 - Not too bad actually.

Wembley here we come!

Back