• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2, Plymouth Argyle 0

Best part of the match was the Plymouth fans chanting 'have you ever seen your dick' towards Scotty. Had the south stand in stitches......TrueBlue, you are a legend

I think Granty really struggles to play with Ferdinand in the middle and that's why Grant and Timlin of JPK has to be the central pairing until Lee Sawyer is available.
So if Grant and Timlin or Kalala form a decent partnership, who would you drop for Sawyer? No, far as I'm concerned Sawyer will have to fight to get back into the team. He's had one excellent game this season by all accounts, the rest have been a bit meh, that certainly isn't going to see him usurping anyone.

Grant's had some very good games this season, he was poor today but I certainly wouldn't want him to leave. Bear in mind too that Plymouth played 4-5-1 and our midfielders were closed down quickly. He seems to have days when he's really up for it and others when he doesn't seem bothered. I don't think having Ferdinand alongside him brings out the best of him either. Ferdinand has been anonymous every time I've seen him this season. I'd have Timlin, Sawyer and Kalala all ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment and I think Grant would be better alongside them. I like Grant when he's playing a kind of box-to-box role rather than solely as a defensive midfielder.
Me too, that's how he's been in previous seasons. I don't know whether it's that Sturrock's told them to play like this or what, but to me, Ferdinand is the naturally defensive midfielder out of the two so Grant should be the one going box to box. I wonder if Grant just doesn't have the confidence in Kane that he's had in other central midfield colleagues. Or I wonder if Kane has come back from his international stint with an attitude that he's better than this. Whatever it is, I wish the Kane of last season would return.

Best part of the match was the Plymouth fans chanting 'have you ever seen your dick' towards Scotty. Had the south stand in stitches......TrueBlue, you are a legend

Fair play to the Plymouth fans some good banter back and forth always lifts the atmosphere when you have a strong away following something that's been lacking at roots hall in this league!

A definite game of two halves the first half was absolutely ****ing abysmal, the second half improved to just abysmal. Fair play to Sturrock for bringing Harris on early in the second half at least the ball was played more on the deck than in the sky. Oh and we won, and are in the top 6.

I'd sooner 45 minutes of dross and win 2-0 and grind out boring victories over playing really pretty football and hearing about just "needing the rub of the green"...

Boring football, but sod it, we're 6th.

Tend to agree with you but the attendances are saying a different story - without the Plymouth fans that would have been less thn 4,500 which is very worrying as we are already losing money each week.

Anyway, back to the game - the first half was AGAIN another Sturrock tactical disaster with Timlin looking lost on the flanks - at least luggy does something about it at half time by going 4-3-1-2 and we looked so much better.

Agree with a lot of posters that Grant was absolute cack and Ferdinand just cack - but still believe a lot of that is down to the poor tactical set up as they are both far better players than the majority of midfielders in League 2.

The Team that finished the game is the Team that should start the next home game and in that formation imho. Possible change of Prosser for Gilbert as I think Prosser is a better tackler and his distribution is better than Gilbert's.

Can't understand what Prosser did to deserve to lose his place - though my source in the Directors box tells me that Luggy said that Prosser looked tired - weird decision imho.

Harris looked sharp and started playing on the back four - something that Blair cannot or will not do - at home that is what we need. Away from home then Blairs back to goal ability and hold up skills are useful.

Also love the fact that when it kicks off the whole Team dive in - I have been told that this is a Luggy directive to show solidarity and to confuse the situation for the officials - if true then I applaud Luggy for that - reminds me of Willie John McBrides British Lions team for those old enough to remember!

Best game i've seen Dicko have at the Hall. I kept an extra special watch on him as his general heading/flicking on/hold up play has generally been bad but he won 75% of these yesterday and our 2nd goal came from his header which the keeper made a great save from!

Phillips MOM but he was helped by the lack of attacking threat that Plymouth showed.

Look on the bright side,the Plymouth fans will be rejoicing that at least Risdale hasn't walked...:stunned:

To be honest after the 1st half performance my mates and I were wondering whether the players have been paid or not, as there seems to be many simularities with player attitudes to the last time it happened.

To be honest after the 1st half performance my mates and I were wondering whether the players have been paid or not, as there seems to be many simularities with player attitudes to the last time it happened.

I actually said the same thing to Tara yesterday, he assured me they were paid up to date..whether that is correct of course is your guess or mine.

That's a ridiculous statement. The Plymouth players aren't getting paid and they are still full of passion. Not being paid does not equal a bad performance.

As already stated, first half was atrocious, lucky Plymouth were toothless up front. They played some neat football until going behind but Morris could have had the day off. Second half, introduction of Harris changed the game, after the sending off could see us making better inroads on our goal difference.

Morris 7 - Very little to do, no scares, claimed all that came his way
Clohessy 7 - Got forward well in second half with Leonard in front of him
Phillips 7.5 - MOTM Looking a quality centre back with a threat going forward
Barker 7 - Easy afternoon for the skipper
Gilbert 7 - Better game, getting forward more, confidence growing
Hall 7 - Usual threat, set pieces etc, picking up too many bookings for rash challenges
Ferdinand 6 - Quiet game again, better sweeping in front of the back four
Grant 6 - Ditto Ferdinand, for me better breaking into the box, like last season, lost his goal threat
Timlin 6 - He is not a winger, first half 5, second half 7 when in the middle
Sturrock 5.5 - Had nothing left after Tuesdays game, off the pace
Dickinson 7 - Cool penalty, had a point to prove to Plymouth

Harris 7.5 - Changed the game, pulled a tiring Plymouth apart, huge difference to when Blair on
Leonard 6.5 - Added balance and shape without doing anything outstanding

Positives, 2 home wins and 2 clean sheets, which we desperately needed after last Saturday. Interesting what PS does in team selection for next Saturday, without Hall & Grant. Someone will need to step up on set piece duties, this alone is winning us games at the moment.

Positives, 2 home wins and 2 clean sheets, which we desperately needed after last Saturday. Interesting what PS does in team selection for next Saturday, without Hall & Grant. Someone will need to step up on set piece duties, this alone is winning us games at the moment.

I'm sure I read somewhere when we signed him that Harris can take a pretty good free-kick. Not sure what his corners are like though!

Back