• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2, Plymouth Argyle 0

I'm sure I read somewhere when we signed him that Harris can take a pretty good free-kick. Not sure what his corners are like though!
Leonard can do both, and probably a good deal better than some who've taken them recently.

Morris 6 - Largely unemployed
Clohessy 6 - Comfortable against poor opposition
Phillips 6.5 - Very steady, easy game.
Barker 6 - Steady, easy game
Gilbert 6 - Better than usual
Hall 5 - Worse than usual
Ferdinand 5 - Didn't do much
Grant 4 - Poor
Timlin 4 - Poor
Sturrock 3 - Completely anonymous
Dickinson 6 - includes extra mark for pen.

Harris 6 - 100% improvement on Sturrock
Leonard 6 - okay

Shocking performance. Much worse than Tuesday (and that was bad enough) bearing in mind the total ineptitude of the opposition.

Never in 50 years have I got so little pleasure out of two back to back wins. Entertainment value of both games was bordering on nil.

First game I've seen in a while. my tuppence worth:

Plymouth were poor.

Morris looks comfortable, not that he had a save to make. 7.
Clohessy - OK, nothing really special. Likes running into decent positions to cross the ball from out wide but then can't cross. 6
Gilbert. Not that good, is he? Plenty of errors, bad passes etc. 4
Barker. Solid, great defender. MOM by far. 8
Phillips. OK, made a few bad passes in second half, but not too bad. 6
Hall - when were one-up started to get a bit of confidence, before then anonymous. Only bit of creativity in team though. 7
Grant. Hopeless. Not interested. 5
Ferdinand. See Grant.
Timlin. See Grant, but worse. In the first half, he actually had the ball at this feet, had the time to look up and pass exactly where he wanted, and passed to no-one. Absolutely awful. 4
Sturrock. I paid special attention to see what the fuss was about. Sadly, he was awful. But then the midfield didn't help matters. 5
Dickinson. Looks the part, and to be fair, had two cracking headers in the second half. No help from midfield, tried to lead the line, but he's League 2 standard. Can't jump. 6

Leonard. Looks decent, the game picked up a bit of tempo when he came on. 7
Harris. Looks passionate - some good movement. Needs fitness. 7

We were lucky we played a rubbish side.

Gilbert: It was worth the wait

PETER Gilbert was thrilled to end an eight-year-long goal drought to help Southend United see off Plymouth Argyle 2-0 at Roots Hall on Saturday.

More...

PETER Gilbert was thrilled to end an eight-year-long goal drought to help Southend United see off Plymouth Argyle 2-0 at Roots Hall on Saturday.

More...

Was it Gilbert's goal though?

I've re-watched loads of times and still cant work out whether or not a Plymouth defender gets a touch on it, after Gilbert get's his head on it?...

Not that it matters, but could be an OG?

I've re-watched loads of times and still cant work out whether or not a Plymouth defender gets a touch on it, after Gilbert get's his head on it?...

Defo Smiffish - said the same to Em yesterday morning when we watched the goals! Hits their number 8 IIRC!

That's a ridiculous statement. The Plymouth players aren't getting paid and they are still full of passion. Not being paid does not equal a bad performance.

Doesn't mean to say that all players will have the same attitude as Plymouth's though does it?

Can I ask you if you would work your butt off for nothing then?

I preferred Barker's defending to Phillips. Phillips looked a bit shaky at times. Barker's defensive heading was superb.

They take it in turns. Thought Phillips looked better against Gills and Barker looked better against Plymouth. Fact is I'm very happy with both of them. Phillips especially considering his injury nightmare last season - it's like having a brand new signing.

It did hit a Plymouth player, but only on the way in! so has to be Gilberts goal!

It did hit a Plymouth player, but only on the way in! so has to be Gilberts goal!
Watching the replay I'm not convinced if it was going wide or not until the deflection, the defender seems to be in line with or maybe behind Gilbert, I can't see how he would have reached the ball without it originally going wide, may just be the camera angle though

Watching the replay I'm not convinced if it was going wide or not until the deflection, the defender seems to be in line with or maybe behind Gilbert, I can't see how he would have reached the ball without it originally going wide, may just be the camera angle though

Yeh sorry my comment was more giving him the benefit of the doubt, I was convinced at the time that it was an OG but really did want it to be Gilberts goal!

Morris 6
Clohessy 5.5
Gilbert 6.5
Phillips 8
Barker 7
Ferdinand 4.5
Timlin 5.5
Grant 5
Hall 7
Sturrock 4.5
Dickinson 5
Harris 6
Leonard 6.5

No point saying too much about the game that hasn't already been said, however I didn't think the second half was as bad as some people are making out. Personally what affected our first half performance was our horrific midfield; they couldn't control or pass the ball, it really was shocking and I wouldn't have probably taken 3 of them off at half time; not sure which ones though :)

Morris 6 - Didn't have much to do
Clohessy 6 - Defended well and got forward more in the second half
Gilbert 7 - Thinks he has played well since coming back, was looking to pass it to Timlins feet and made a good couple of blocks (and I was furious when he got back in the side on Tuesday!!!)
Phillips 8 (MOM) - Won nearly everything in the air and played well
Barker 7 - Defended well along side Phillips (drend to think what may of happened if our defence didn't turn up in the first half like our midfield)
Timlin 5 - Shocking first half, he must have been seeing things the amount of passes he hit to no-one. Improved in the second half though
Hall 6 - Can't understand how he is getting 7's on here. Was also shocking in the first half and only gets an extra point above the other midfielders for an assist
Grant 5 - See Timlin
Ferdinand 4 - See Timlin, only difference is that he didn't improve in the second half. Surprised he is keeping his place on current form, I've noticed a couple of goals we have conceeded recently (one against Northampton) have been down to him not tracking his marker
Sturrock 5 - Had no service and was dropped back to midfield to help out. Probably not surprising he went off as we had to make a change
Dickinson 6 - Again had no service in the first half, plays a lot better with ball to feet
Harris 7 - Benefited from the fact that our midfield seemed to be able to pass in the second half and showed some neat touches
Leonard 6 - Didn't have a lot of the ball but chased around and it was good to see some energy in midfield and we had better shape when he came one

Back