• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2, Plymouth Argyle 0

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United’s Liam Dickinson and Peter Gilbert both netted against their former Plymouth Argyle side to fire Blues to a 2-0 triumph at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Absolutely abysmal first half,not much better in the second half, awful to watch,but 3 points.

Absolutely awful to watch, was seriously depressed at half time. The second half was marginally better, but we need to improve all round if we want to go up.Players looked tired, nobody looked too good out there today.

The big hope I had at the start of the season was that the team would march out onto the field every week looking like a winning side. They wouldn't always win, but when they lost it would be to a magnificently better side.
Unfortunately, the season so far has shown us that we never know what 'frame of mind' team is walking out of the tunnel.
The results have not always reflected the action on the pitch.

Appalling game, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] half not worth mentioning apart from how bad we were and how much more Plymouth wanted it and seem to know how to move and pass to feet. We improved (a little) in the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] half and actually looked like we knew we were in a game

1st half total dog xxxx, brought a mate with me and his lad my daughter boy friend and I was embaressed and wished I hadn't asked.

we had our first shot of the match second half 20 seconds after Harris came on----coincedence?

Not sure if them going down to 10 made all the difference or Harris and Leonard (Kane was very poor again). we certainly got a lot of crosses in from the right in the second half and quite a few corners.

It would be nice to see a goal from open play . I keep saying that the mark of a good team is to play crap and still win ---- but I think I am kiding myself.

Last edited:
The first half was awful . There was no movement at all and Timlin constantly kept hoofing the ball upfield which led to nothing every time. But definitely an improvement in the second half. Good decision to take off Sturrock as it wasn't a fact of what he did wrong it was the fact he did nothing. I felt we got lucky in the end and the red card just made easy for us. But a win is a win and its two on the trot.:smile:

And i wish there was on Non-league show on tonight. In the blue square north there was 11 games and 37 goals:omg:.

1st half total dog xxxx, brought a mate with me and his lad my daughter boy friend and I was embaressed and wished I hadn't asked.

we had our first shot of the match second half 20 seconds after Harris came on----coincedence?

Not sure if them going down to 10 made all the difference or Corr and Leonard (Kane was very poor again). we certainly got a lot of crosses in from the right in the second half and quite a few corners.

It would be nice to see a goal from open play . I keep saying that the mark of a good team is to play crap and still win ---- but I think I am kiding myself.

Not sure Corr helped much today.

Harris made a big difference, as did Leonard.

Poor performance, 3 points, 6th and in the play offs. I'd rather play poorly and win than play well every week and lose. We rode our luck a bit and Plymouth really brought the game to us.

Not a dissimilar game to Tuesday night. Dire 1st half, we might have been punished against a better team. Could hardly string a few passes together, lack of effort. 2nd half we improved significantly but also have Plymouth to thank for that by giving us a penalty and getting a man sent off. Sturrock's EARLY subs also helped and our play improved after them - Leonard on the right and Timlin moving to the middle gave us a better midfield and Harris played well when he came on. Plymouth got frustrated after the red card (understandable in their situation) and barely threatened our goal. Good to see Gilbert get his first goal for the club, Harris needs the same thing. Grant and Ferdinand (again) were poor in the middle. Dickinson was slightly disappointing on his return but put away the penalty. Timlin and Phillips were probably our best players. Hall's deliveries were excellent as usual. Not a great performance but that's 2 home wins in a week before a tough away trip to Rotherham and they say grinding out wins without playing well is a good sign.

p.s. Credit to the Plymouth fans.

Total crap again. But another 3 points. We'll get thumped at Rotherham unless they pull their finger out their arses. The end.

We don't start playing football untill....we go behind....we go up against ten men. That is how I have seen it at home this season. We were basically out played by a youth team today, not good enough at all.

Plymouth packed the midfield going 4-5-1 and I guess we tried to match that by having a 4-3-3 where the 2 wide men upfront would drop back (sturrock was right back at times). Half the time I couldn't work out what the formation was because it was such a mess in the midfield, Grant and Ferdinand had bad games, but were not helped by having no time on the ball at all.

Didn't realise we had so many ex Plymouth players in the squad, Argyle were just as good as any other side who have come to the Hall this season (bar maybe Northampton).

We have alot to work on, I'm not sure if Sturrocks set-ups are a help on the lads, but untill we were against ten men, none of our lads were moving for each other, the fall backs were being forced to hoof long again because of a lack of width and support. Can't help but feel a different manager might be able to use this squad to it's potential, but Sturrock has to be commended on getting a decent squad together.

Ratings:

Morris - 6 - Complete opposite to Tuesdays game as he didn't have anything to do, Kicked well today and was decent enough in the air.

Clohessy - 7 - Only player that offers real width as I have said in most reviews this season, defended ok.
Phillips - 7 - Another good centre back performance, no nonsense and nearly had a goal again.
Barker - 7 - Probably the pick of the players today (not a surprise). Solid and assured but was not really tested to much.
Gilbert - 7 - A bit less hoof ball due to the man being sent off and the goal! His last goal was for Plymouth in 2003, so this is a real rarity to see!

Timlin - 7 - Got the penalty and possibly caused the red card? Only just gets a 7 mind, the pick of the central 3.
Grant - 5 - Didn't turn up, but not helped by packed midfield, misses next game as he was booked?
Ferdinand - 5 - Same as above, bad touches and just couldn't get going, looks like we won't get any money for him after all.

Hall - 6 - Showed glimpses of class and delivery was not at its best today, wasteful though today.
Sturrock - 5 - Not really his kind of game, wasn't used at all and rightfully subbed, he has had a few good games mind.
Dickinson - 7 - Quite isolated in the first half, won a fair amount of headers, scored the pen and if it wasn't for a wonder save he would have had another, got caught in 2 minds when one on one though when he should have tested the keeper.

Subs

Leonard - 6 - Did ok
Harris - 7 - Dunno how he hasn't got a goal still, looked good when he came on.

The old cliche, "it was a game of two halves", certainly applied today. Lackluste, drivel was served up in the 1st, followed by goals, scuffles and cards in the 2nd. Still, at least Sturrock changed things early (are you listenening Tilly) and sparked a bit of life into them.

Morris 6..Not much to do. Tidy, as usual.
Clohessy 6..Was battered and bruised, but did ok.
Gilbert 6..Still don't rate him. Tackles well, but gives nothing going forward (other than the odd goal...lol).
Phillips 7.. Solid
Barker 7..Solid
Sturrock 5..Gave nothing going forward. I couldn't work out where he was supposed to be playing
Ferdinand 6..Worked hard, even if it didn't always come off. Unlucky to be substituted.
Timlin 7..The pick of our midfield. Grafted and tried running at them
Grant 5..IMO he was poor today. Falling over and breaking down the game is fine away from home, but at home against a weak side you need your passing to flow.
Hall 7..Some nice touches and his booking for chasing down their Full back showed he cares, which is enough for me.
Dickinson 6..Not that strong in the air for a big chap. Worked hard tough.
Subs:
Harris 7..Changed the game. The players heads lifted when he came on. Used his experience well.
Leonard 6..Ok

Great to get the win and another clean sheet, lifting us up to 6th, but the first half was the worst we've played this season and depressing to watch. We created almost nothing and couldn't string together any decent passing moves. Plymouth didn't look like scoring either apart from a few wayward long shots but they were very comfortable and not threatened at all. At home to the bottom of the table side you should be able to create something but we didn't have a single shot on target in the first 45 minutes.

There was definitely an improvement in the second half though, but the Dickinson's penalty still came as a relief and allowed the team to play with more confidence for the remainder of the game. Despite Harris being on the pitch, Dickinson chose to take it and took it well, that's 3 out of 3 penalties scored this season for him now. Shortly after that came Fletcher's red card, apparently he grabbed Timlin by the throat though I didn't see it myself, and that made the game comfortable for us. We actually put together some good moves and looked like a good attacking team in the last 20 minutes and could have scored more, Dickinson and Harris both coming close. That shows what we're capable of, we just need to play like that for the whole game rather than just half of it, because against a better team we would have been punished in the first half.

It's slightly concerning that we keep getting so many yellow cards, Ryan Hall will now miss the Rotherham game which is a massive blow, though I thought Grant was poor once again so at least it will force Sturrock to leave him out of the team. Ferdinand isn't playing to the standards of last season at the moment and Blair Sturrock had a poor game today despite playing well in his last two. The defence looked solid, albeit against a team devoid of any attacking creativity or quality, but two clean sheets is a welcome boost and should give confidence to our defenders. Overall, we deserved the win due to our second half performance but improvement is needed after our dire showing in the first 45 minutes.

The first half actually made me feel ill, our midfield (again) was awful, timlin was a disgrace to the word football as was grant. Kane was almost as bad, lee sawyer must be pleased as punch with what they are dishing up. The introduction of harris and his excellent movement seemed to improve things a bit, Timlin pulled his finger out in the 2nd half and to be fair played well. Chuffed with the three points though.

3 **** performances, but 6 points from 9.
got to be happy with that.
let's not kid ourselves we're the Barcelona of this league.

Back