• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
4 wins on the bounce despite some controversial refereeing.

Thoughts and ratings here please.

Southend United 3 - 0 Oldham Athletic

TEN-MAN Southend United dug deep to secure a dramatic 3-0 win against Oldham Athletic at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Southend United 3 - 0 Oldham Athletic

And the beat goes on, la di la di dah. Get your reports down here chums.

After 70+ minutes of frustration and anger at the ref when nile scored that goal it felt like one of those you look back and think thats massive! The positivity that we can take into tuesday on the back of that must be great! Just a couple of questions did anyone see what exactly happened with the kid that ran on after the third goal..it looked like he took a selfie with the whole team!! Also what are the lyrics of the song that was sung at the final whistle i feel i bit of an idiot humming along ..like john redwood politics fans..and want to sing loud and proud

niggly poor quality game not helped by a hapless ref. (shocking all game)

came to life thanks to the ref sending off Lenny. Looked a hard challenge worthy of a booking maybe from the East but not a sending off.

The ref missed a two footed challenge by them and then McGlashan's challenge before his run at goal went unpunished.

The lino gave the penalty ! God only knows where the ref was looking. He then only yellow carded him when the other defender would never of got there.

Ranger got zero decisions until he got injured in a tackle with Clarke and then every time their player even breathed on him , he got a foul !

The quality in depth on our bench won the day with Robinson creating and then scoring one after he came on.

Looking forward to Tuesday night now.

Terrible game, terrible ref, great result.

Had an end of season feel about it with it being light when we left and some sunshine.

Keeper looked assured. Even though he didn't have much to do, he still looked more confident and comfortable than Ted but Ted'll be great next season I reckon with a year under his belt.

Back four - pretty solid, standard stuff that we've come to expect from four good footballers.

Midfield - McLaughlin and Atkinson weren't doing much. Wordsworth continues to look leggy and lazy even though we know he's not and wasn't sure if Lenny was a red or not. One thing I do know is that we are lucky to have someone like Tims who can just slot in to central midfield and is of similar quality.

Up front - I expect Ranger won't be fit for Tuesday but thought he was good today with Coxy quite quiet. Whether Robinson (class) or Fortune (unlucky to not be playing regular football IMO) start, we've got quality.

Special mention to McGlashan. Far from a fan's favourite but not for the first time this season he's come on and looked a menace. Might push for a start Tuesday...

UTB

Will just repeat what I sent as a text message to BBC Essex:

In a season of shocking refs, we witnessed a new low today at Roots Hall! However, if ever a result epitomised out team spirit, this was it. To score all three goals after we went down to ten men was amazing.

The pace of McGlashan and Robinson made the difference and we can look forward to the rest of the season with even greater confidence.
Just hope that the loss of Lenny for the next 3 games doesn't come back to haunt us.

Well down everyone today, a great team performance and well done Phil Brown for making the right subs at the right time.

Superb result.

Theo should have got MOTM. He won us that game.

Games like that are pivotal to seasons. HUGE win.

Anyone know how long Leonard is banned for, for that red? Is it 3 games or 1?

Tremendous character from the players, against difficult opponents and a below average refereeing performance! :thumbsup:

RATINGS :

Walton 7.5 - Really impressive debut. There's a high quality keeper in there. No doubt.

Demetriou 7.5 - Had a good game. Got a couple of important interceptions in, when needed.

Ferdinand 9 MOM - As always, reads the game so well. Class above.

Thompson 7.5 - Another solid performance, which we've come to expect.

Coker 7.5 - Threatening going forward and not frightened to mix it with the oppo.

Atkinson 6.5 - Bit in and out, today.

Leonard 6.5 - Not one of Lenny's better days. Did well enough, though.

Wordsworth 7 - Pick of an average overall midfield performance.

McLaughlin 6 - Really struggled today. Had to switch over with Will, as it wasn't working out at all.

Ranger 8 - Battled all the way and another crucial goal. Getting better and fitter with every game.

Cox 7 - Didn't get much change out of the oppo and things didn't quite come off for him.

SUBS :

McGlashan 8 - Just how well did he do for the penalty. Love the way he just keeps on going, even when they tried to pull him down outside the box.

Robinson 8.5 - Superb. So strong and so much desire and that was a bullet header. Flew in.

Timlin 7.5 - Think he'll slot perfectly into Lenny's role for the next 3 games.

REFEREE :

:smile::dim::dunce::blush:

OLDHAM ATHLETIC :

They were a huge side!

Actually thought they were the better team for the most part. Had a plan to get tight and try to run with the ball on the break. They couldn't hit a long pass if they tried. Ollie Banks (No. 8) was probably their best player.

Both centre-halves handled Nile well enough.

You can see why they don't score many goals. Their shooting was pretty poor.

Their supporters were immense! .. Hats off to them.

OVERALL :

Fantastic win, given the circumstances.

To score 3 goals against a difficult side with 10 men on the pitch shows just what desire and belief we have.

Can't wait for Tuesday night!

Last edited:
Thought the loan goalkeeper looked more assured than Ted and looked more experienced that gave me more confidence in his ability. Just little things like spotting a run from Cox and kicking the ball to the right place for him, and a little push on one of their players as the ball came into the box to put him off and of course his build - he is bigger and stronger than Ted Smith.

The referee as we all know was awful and it is not often that the whole ground sings "you don't know what you're doing!" The lino's though were good and were let down by the ref.

Christian Walters 7 - Not a lot to do but what he did have to do was done confidently
Demetriou 7 - assured and classy
Coker 7.5 - as for Demetriou
Thompson 7.5 as above
Ferdinand - 7.5 as above
Macca 7 - wasn't quite into the game
Wordsworth 7 same as macca and does not seem to go where it hurts
Leonard - 8 once again barnstorming performance and reliable
Atkinson - 7 as for Wordsworth but braver
Cox 7.5 - Pure positioning class and he makes so much room for others
Ranger - 7.5 I didnt think he was quite into the game tbh, but always goes into possible hurtful situations with bravery

Robinson 8 Great when he came on, made one and scored one frightened the life out of their defence with his pace, which we didnt have 1st half.

Macca 7.5 Another with pace that hurt them - made the blatant penalty which the ref did his best not to give

Timlin 8 his two passes in behind their defence to Robinson resulted in two goals!

Brown - 9 great subs at the right time and he didn't tinker with the starting line up

Ref 4 Seemed to favour Oldham, gave them free kicks but not us for the same offence, should have sent one of their players off for a tackle on Cox which was worse than Lenny's but who he did send off.

Performance - 5 first half - 6 second half - 8 after the substitutions

Performance at West Stand coffee shop - 5 same as Southend's first half performance, inefficient and lacking urgency!

I'll start with Oldham. They were very tough, physical and we'll organised imo they fought us to a standstill in that first half thought there number 8 looked a very good player. Then I believe phil brown got everything 100 % spot on. Bring theo and mcgashlin on changed the dynamic of the game completely. Pace and direct running.
The lenny sending off....tough to see from the west family.....looked as though he flew in though and looked reckless. Loved theos header from a sublime Wordsworth delivery.
Another game where we left roots hall fully believing this could be a bit special. Thought the atmosphere was good too.

The young lad did indeed get a selfie in the middle of the whole team. Hopefully he will be given a warning and thats it.

I was in the South Upper, towards the East Bank, so it happened right below us.

The chief steward had a word with him at length and he looked sheepish and apologetic, but then he went back into the crowd, so I think just the talking to was as far as it went.

Was great fun, though! :thumbsup:

There's already been a lot of stuff posted in this thread which reflects my overall view of the game so I'm not going to add anything on that front. What I would say is that indirectly the referee caused us to win the game. That may sound a bit daft, but until he red carded Lenny we weren't revved up in a way that said 'play-off candidates'. After the red card and with some inspired substitutions from Mr Brown we proceeded to rip Oldham a new one. The determination levels rocketed up and in went the goals. We certainly left the West stand with the now firm belief that the play-offs are definitely on because this team does not know when it's beaten.

In passing, the West stand fans in my area were 'bang on' on the support front and I will not be sorry if I never hear the Oldham fans drum(s) ever again. They seriously got on my wick so our three goals just served that drummer right!

Always proud to be Blues supporters, and each game is making me and her feel even prouder, thanks Phil and the team.

The young lad did indeed get a selfie in the middle of the whole team. Hopefully he will be given a warning and thats it.

Out of interest I would love to see that pic... If anyone has it can they share it (with the kid's permissions obvs). It did look as if the stewards were looking at his phone so I hope they didn't delete it.

A very interesting game for many reasons.

Firstly I thought the Shrimpers crowd did very well, showed patience with our players and gave them and PB full backing from start to finish; no moans about our side from the Easts. TBV did usual well too. For a very small number the Oldham fans sang, made noise and helped give the game a good atmosphere.

The officials are a separate thread, inconsistent and nonconstructive in the main.

PB had a blinder of a game, good subs and intelligent responses to the game's passage.
Sheriden was like his team, bruising and spoiling, single minded to break any flow and after a clean sheet point, fell apart and no plan B after Nile scored.

Walters, 7, not much to do, looked commanding and confident.
Demi, 7, good game.
Anton, Thommo, 7 a piece, rarely misplaced or out muscled.
Coker, 8, got forward well, silly booking.
MacL, 6, not a great day but better when he swapped from left to right.
Willow, 6, didn't get forward enough, usual high work rate.
Len, 7, harsh red card but he kept back chatting ref and I think if he had been more respectful/less questioning he may have got a yellow BUT it was a harsh call and he will be missed in next 3 games.
Woody, 8, lots of running, some brave blocking and some neat passing, confident pen.
Ranger, 9, Clarke kept fouling him but could control him, good goal. I hope he isn't injured more than just 2 days rest can fix.
Cox, 8, works and works, tracks back and full of sparkle.

Subs
MacG, 8, worked the line, tracked back, made runs into space, should have shot once himself when thru but laid it off, made the pen.
Tims, 9, fitted in seamlessly, some great passes, good organising and rallying.
Theo, 9, pace to burn, fox in the box goal.

Oldham will beat the drop, again, they lacked any proper goal threat forward but some of their youngsters may be good for next season if they can keep them and get a balance.

Back