• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-0 Port Vale

I think Gilbert is fine, we can't have two full backs that bomb forward, it simply wouldn't work! His defensive work was very good today and I don't actually think he was properly beaten once.

if kalala plays well SUFC plays well, he stops the oppo playing and his energy in doing so is excellent, and he today he passed the ball very well.

I like Kalala and the way he breaks up the opposition play but I did notice that he took his foot of the pedal and was a bit too casual towards the end of the game unecessarily losing the ball on a few occasions - I know the game was won but its complacency like that which allows teams back into a game. But I agree that when is on his game he should be an automatic selection for the first team.

Was not impressed with martin looked nervous and clumsy on the ball-one or two moments apart, obviously time to settle in etc, many on here praising benyon......dont see it myself even less of a goal threat than harris (who i think should be starting btw)

Think Martin is very rusty and hasn't played a lot of games, but I really believe he'll be an asset and having him in the side and will be a big plus at this level. It was good for him to get 90 mins today.
Benyon is very busy and works hard, but I thought he could have gambled a bit more today. Hall hit a cross that went across goal after Dicko was unable to get on it and Benyon should have anticipated it. Then, when same thing happened, he again watched the ball go across the goal. He's still settling in and learning how we play, but a goal next week at Northampton will do him wonders.

Think Martin is very rusty and hasn't played a lot of games, but I really believe he'll be an asset and having him in the side and will be a big plus at this level. It was good for him to get 90 mins today.
Benyon is very busy and works hard, but I thought he could have gambled a bit more today. Hall hit a cross that went across goal after Dicko was unable to get on it and Benyon should have anticipated it. Then, when same thing happened, he again watched the ball go across the goal. He's still settling in and learning how we play, but a goal next week at Northampton will do him wonders.

there were two or three times when dangerous balls went in and benyon didnt bother, harris would have at least had a gamble

My second game of the season (another Australian expat). The first being the debacle v Bradford. I have to say I find it incredibly hard to understand the vast difference between the two sides and games.

I loved the game today although I was somewhat reluctant after the Bradford horror show! I only normally get to read the reports so I'm going to enjoy providing some ratings!

Overall I thought we played very well and mixed the short pass with the direct. I always feel that if the direct pass doesn't go to someone it's still effective to provide the second ball. I thought the team looked confident and for the first time in a long time I thought the defence looked remarkably solid and I had no concerns such was the confidence of the defence. I thought midfield was excellent closing down the opposition and 'snapping at the heels' and our forwards showed a great balance of little and large - holding and direct. The only small downside was some of the movement and in the second half a little too conservative seeing that the vale had 10 men - although it was a standard wind the game down strategy. I think this was close to being our strongest team in terms of structure, shape and balance. When the subs ran past this was further demonstrated... All of them could get in the first team!

Morris - 7 - great to see him play. He was confident, showed good positioning and the defence benefited.
Clohessy - 8 - defended well, passed well, got forward well - so he has done what he is paid to! Really developing well and one of our top perhaps underrated players.
Gilbert - 7 - passing was a little awry at times but played confidently and defended really well with some nice defensive touches. Pleasantly impressed!
Phillips - 9 - from what I could see the perfect defensive performance and a goal to boot. Covered well passed well commanded well. So important to the team and hav completely forgotten him from last season.
Barker - 7 - not as good as phillips but still did what was required.
Hall - 7 - stats show probably one of our better players however he lost points for some bad decision making in the game and disappeared a couple of times.. A little predicatable too.. Get the ball, shimmy and cut in on the left foot to cross or shoot
Timlin - 8 - great player good passer, good tackler, great touch, good vision box to box. A great signing! A new midfield hero?
Kalala - 8 - first time I've seen him and really impressed. I thought he did what he had to. Always hassling hassling and I thought his passing was effective an allowed the wingers to do their work.
Martin - 6 - showed he had the skill and movement but didn't quite pull it off and make it useful. Hugged the left wing and I'm sure will do well once games are under the belt. Really offered some super balance to the team.
Dickinson - 8 - put himself about constantly hassled scored a goal held the ball up well - a good day at the office! Really showed his worth.
Benyon - 7 - nice player good skill some good pace and a good shot on him. Unlucky only because of some poor tackling. Pulled the defence apart and will score if we keep playing like we did today.

A really good performance, nice football and felt there was a higher gear available if we needed. Defence solid we passed from the back (equally gobsmacked when the ball was rolled out by morris!). More of this and we will get promotion! Up the blues. Look forward to following the results on Sunday mornings on the Internet.

I think Gilbert is fine, we can't have two full backs that bomb forward, it simply wouldn't work! His defensive work was very good today and I don't actually think he was properly beaten once.

I cant see why people are saying he hoofed all game...he hardly hoofed at all. Great inter play with Martin, nothing did get past him and he had a solid game. I'm not his biggest fan but he played well today

I dont think he hoofs, he clearly looks for Dickinson who runs the channels well, in fact quite a lot of our best moves originate from a Gilbert "hoof" upfield.

You can only play whats put in front of you so the scoreline is xcellent in that respect. But I repeat my " nots let get too carried away again" drum. Because Port Vale are about to enter a catastrophic period similar to what we went through a couple of years ago. No signings that were promised, players possibly forced to accept pay cuts, players unhappy and even Micky Adams in his pre-match conference virtually said his side had no chance today. Tougher games are coming up for us soon against the likes of Swindon, Shrewsbury and Crawley. That'll really test us.

Think the main problem is that he has very limited options a vast majority of the time as there always seems to be nobody to play the short ball to.Still gives us more balance at the back
Can someone Please teach Gilbert that it is not illegal to pass on the floor!! I Think Martin will be good when he is fit, (Remember Hall took 4months or so to get going). Better performance all round. Bring on Northampton!

Not the greatest performance but two good goals from Phillips and Dicko. Surprised to see Sturrock on the bench, thought his contract was up? Cannot see how he will contribute to any promotion push and was expecting to see him appear in the ex Shrimpers sub-forum someday soon.

Think the main problem is that he has very limited options a vast majority of the time as there always seems to be nobody to play the short ball to.Still gives us more balance at the back

100% agree with this. I think those have have a dig at him for hoofing must be short sighted (or people Mohsni has said hi to on FB). I'd like them to point out the obvious short on the deck pass, because alongside Gilbert, and many others on SZ I couldn't see that option available to him.

You're kidding me? See Sky240286 for a decent assessment of Gilbert. Every time he gets the ball, he never has an option. Entire second half, he'd receive the ball, and have no option, forcing him to hit it long. He did very well considering the complete lack of support he received on the pitch.

Agreed 100%

Southend fans are thickle, we always have one of our own players as a scapegoat and someone they can blame each week. Been the same season in season out!!!! It almost becomes fashionable to follow others booing and moaning at players.

Gilbert is a decent defender which ultimately is his main responsibility. In one on one situations, he is fantastic, he tackles well and today proved he is always an option. Basically, he isn't the best going forward and does go long a tad too much, but each week he never hides. Yes he moans off but he talks and organises too.

Finally, Gilbert is a regular and a SOUTHEND UNITED player. Lets get behind our players and support the team. Today's atmosphere was awful, but people are quick to moan at individuals.

Up the Blues

Maybe Gilbert was right to say what he did about Bilel last month. Its precisely the opposite, i,e the pats on the back and the worshipping he receives makes him think he can misdemeanour all the time.because people are quick to sympathise and laud over him. Maybe now Bilel's learned his lesson. I hope so.

Agreed 100%

Southend fans are thickle, we always have one of our own players as a scapegoat and someone they can blame each week. Been the same season in season out!!!! It almost becomes fashionable to follow others booing and moaning at players.

Gilbert is a decent defender which ultimately is his main responsibility. In one on one situations, he is fantastic, he tackles well and today proved he is always an option. Basically, he isn't the best going forward and does go long a tad too much, but each week he never hides. Yes he moans off but he talks and organises too.

Finally, Gilbert is a regular and a SOUTHEND UNITED player. Lets get behind our players and support the team. Today's atmosphere was awful, but people are quick to moan at individuals.

Up the Blues

Only one rating... Gilbert 2.....how he can blame Mohsni for not getting to Anfield is beyond me. He should be playing at Wakering and cutting up the oranges to boot...useless!

Only one rating... Gilbert 2.....how he can blame Mohsni for not getting to Anfield is beyond me. He should be playing at Wakering and cutting up the oranges to boot...useless!

That rating says more about you than it does about Gilbert.

Defesively Gilbert is fine, much improved from the start of the season, the problem I have with him is that when other players are forced to hoof upfield their balls are relatively close to a player, maybe I'm being overly critical but most of Gilbert's hoofs almost always go to 5 yards from the corner flag by the west stand, where noone is. Admittantly in the second half he did improve, and he is capable of short passes so if Martin can find space Gilbert will find him.
Then again Timlin can also be guilty of this, as he frequently was in this game at times, I didn't think he had a great game either, whilst everyone else is raving anout Timlin's performance, so maybe I'm too harsh on people's mistakes.

well summarised, spot on for me.

only thing bad for me today was the amount of moaning i had (in the West, then outside, then in the Cricketers where my mate and I were met with " **** game lads I hear - well the other blokes who came in said it was"). Constanting shouts of "get it fffing forward" from a dick and his mate behing me who apparently would rather see it hoofed than us keeping posession. Only topped by some utter utter smear of excrement shouting at Martin to "get into the game" 20 minutes into his debut (which I thought was OK). Great idea to get into someone in his first game isn't it? I swear there is an element at Roots Hall who LOVE being miserable and really would rather us be on the edge of extinction.

Probably nice and easier for him having a proper wide player playing infront of him. To be fair, that allows him to link up, feel protected etc.

Impressive for me today, we look a very handy side when we play. Then we have the more 'direct' style to mix it up.

Benyon and Martin both worked hard and showed good touches, they will improve loads with match sharpness so them both getting 90 minutes under their belts will be a huge help.

Defence looked decent as did Morris. Midfield competed well and Dicko up top had a very good match (especially 1st half). 3 points, 3 goals, clean sheet and an enjoyable afternoon. Bet this result soured Swindon and Crawley's afternoons a little :winking:

UTB

spot on for me except I think Barker looks to be not fully fit. I think he is great, don't get me wrong, but I do wonder if his legs are going.

About right Smiffy..the big difference being we kept it on the floor!

Next home game 10th Feb now...seems like a lifetime away :(

Back