• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-0 Port Vale

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United surged up to second in the League Two table with a comfortable 3-0 triumph over Port Vale at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Our very own Tinkerbell got very caught up in all the second half excitement.

66x1eb.jpg

Turned up just after the og, saw the sending off then the game seemed to die. Anyone got any spare crates to bolster my secret view from just outside the ground, yours cheapskate shrimper!

didn't go. what's the verdict? horrible performance and great result again, or by some miracle did we play well?

Very very happy we played football along the floor. To be honest we looked rusty at it but I was so so so much happy we tried to play football rather than aimless hoofs. I was actually shocked how good Phillips and barker were with the ball at their feet. Made it so much easier to find another midfielder or forward. Well done Sturrock

What has happened to Gilbert? Good passing, good interplay with Martin, pushing way up field, getting good crosses in, one of which their player banged in for the OG.

Just seen the o.g on SSN, left the keeper with no chance!

comfortable win. clohessy had a quality game as usual. didnt think their player deserved to be sent off i was sitting in the south stand and he did get the ball. couldnt stop laughing at owens og though :hilarious:

What has happened to Gilbert? Good passing, good interplay with Martin, pushing way up field, getting good crosses in, one of which their player banged in for the OG.
Sorry we played well but 90% of Gilbert's passes were hoofs that went to noone. As for the own goal noone was within 5 yards of that defender, only the defender's own stupidity made the goal.
Wasn't the best performance in the world but Vale were so poor we didn't really need to try

If anything Gilbert was the weak link today ...does he realise that we play in Blue....so many of his passes went to the opposition.

A very good performance today very happy with the defence and the we played our football. But saying that if we didnt win against Port vale who had apparently only 13 senior players fit so it would have been a disaster if we lost. But we didnt and the crosses in were excellent today as our goals came from crosses. Hopefully this win will kick start our home form.

Up the blues!

Probably nice and easier for him having a proper wide player playing infront of him. To be fair, that allows him to link up, feel protected etc.

Impressive for me today, we look a very handy side when we play. Then we have the more 'direct' style to mix it up.

Benyon and Martin both worked hard and showed good touches, they will improve loads with match sharpness so them both getting 90 minutes under their belts will be a huge help.

Defence looked decent as did Morris. Midfield competed well and Dicko up top had a very good match (especially 1st half). 3 points, 3 goals, clean sheet and an enjoyable afternoon. Bet this result soured Swindon and Crawley's afternoons a little :winking:

UTB

Can someone Please teach Gilbert that it is not illegal to pass on the floor!! I Think Martin will be good when he is fit, (Remember Hall took 4months or so to get going). Better performance all round. Bring on Northampton!

Finally football on the floor. Weren't dazzling, but more effective than the usual style. Vale were awful.

Morris - 7
Clohessey - 7.5
Phillips - 7
Barker - 7
Gilbert - 6.5 (improved but still too much aimless 'longball' for my liking.)

Timlin - 7
Kalala - 7
Hall - 7
Martin - 6.5 (looks skilful, but maybe tried too hard)

Benyon - 7.5
Dickinson - 7.5

Benyon held the ball up surprisingly well given his size and Dickinson had an excellent game as did Clohessey (as usual). Surprised there hasn't been an obvious interest in him from bigger clubs? So consistent!

Not complaining about any of the FA cup results from today either...

Only disappointing thing was attendance which was extremely poor, despite the usual Block W's efforts to get the crowd going. It was flat throughout although this isn't entirely surprising seeing as we took a comfortable lead from the start...

Hopefully with this new style, attendances will start to rise again especially as we have a couple of huge games in the next month or so against the likes of Crawley and Swindon.

Much better. Why? Because we knocked it about on the deck! Hurrah! First half was very good and Vale couldnt live with us. Second half if anything we knocked it about too much and lacked the cutting edge of the first 45. No complaints from me though. Job done against an awful Vale side. Special mentions to Barks and Phillips who were rock solid. As was JP in the middle, who does a great job breaking up play. Benyon worked tirelessly and Dicko was winning more and linking well. Martin showed some glimpses, but clearly lacks match sharpness, that will come. Much better, but we must build on this now.

Much better. Why? Because we knocked it about on the deck! Hurrah! First half was very good and Vale couldnt live with us. Second half if anything we knocked it about too much and lacked the cutting edge of the first 45. No complaints from me though. Job done against an awful Vale side. Special mentions to Barks and Phillips who were rock solid. As was JP in the middle, who does a great job breaking up play. Benyon worked tirelessly and Dicko was winning more and linking well. Martin showed some glimpses, but clearly lacks match sharpness, that will come. Much better, but we must build on this now.

About right Smiffy..the big difference being we kept it on the floor!

Next home game 10th Feb now...seems like a lifetime away :(

Phillips is slowly but surely overtaking Chris Barker as our best centre half. Once again Phillips, for me, was supreme. Swept everything up and seems increasingly more mobile than Barker.

Back