• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United made it three home wins in the space of seven days with a 3-1 triumph over 10 man Dagenham and Redbridge this afternoon.

More...

well done the boys credit all round

well done boys credit all round

Last edited:
Today proved why Martin it on the transfer list. He is probably the laziest player I have seen in a long time and he should have come off a lot earlier.

Today proved why Martin it on the transfer list. He is probably the laziest player I have seen in a long time and he should have come off a lot earlier.

How on earth is he lazy ?!?!?!

Looked like he was trying pretty hard to me, he was however just not that good.

maybe that has been his problem and Sturrock has seen it day to day?? just an idea??

Do you mean Ron Martin?

Dave martin did a lot of running and his run down the flank when Spicer had the ball drew the player away from Spicer giving him time to pick his pass that led to our second goal.

I think you are wrong about Dave Martin.

How did we look with 2 attacking wingers? Is Sturrock's worry about the lack of protecton justified?

How did we look with 2 attacking wingers? Is Sturrock's worry about the lack of protecton justified?

They scored because Martin lost a challenge :smile:

It was nice having two wingers but to be honest I though Martin was poor. Hasnt played much so maybe he will improve, but wasnt impressed. However Straker was not an improvement when he came on either.

As for making a judgement on whether it will work, we played all game against 10 men and they did have more chances than they should have, so make of that what you will.

One other thing to think about is Tilson got us promoted using one winger so its not a Sturrock thing.

yeh thought dave martin done ok today, full of running and never lazy, nothing out of this world today but played his part.

How on earth is he lazy ?!?!?!

Looked like he was trying pretty hard to me, he was however just not that good.

I was sat right where he was playing in the first half and a lot of the time when we were attacking he would just stand on the halfway line and stroll slowly towards the box and then when we lost it he would just watch it go over his head. He was just useless today.

I was sat right where he was playing in the first half and a lot of the time when we were attacking he would just stand on the halfway line and stroll slowly towards the box and then when we lost it he would just watch it go over his head. He was just useless today.

Id certainly agree he didnt play well, but thats a far cry from being "lazy".

He was running plenty, just didnt do a lot when he got the ball.

Id certainly agree he didnt play well, but thats a far cry from being "lazy".

He was running plenty, just didnt do a lot when he got the ball.

Okay then I'll rephrase that. He wasn't lazy he just didn't do anything. :smile:

From where I was the red looked harsh, on top of that it looked like our lad took a very late stumble... won't complain though.

There were many clear cut chances in this game, Daggers opened us up on 3 occasions and how they did not score all 3 I will never know (Barker made a good clearance for one mind).
Tomlin and even Britt were fairly wasteful also, but both worked hard and played well, great header by Britt.

Smith was doing okay until his howler, no way should have let that in, but get any mistakes out of your system in this kind of game I say.

We finally got the two wingers I have been shouting for, and both did well, Hurst looks like he has a very good cross on him and Martin adds a bit of flair to us. I did think Straker did well on the left wing later on as well. When they tired we really stretched them and the wings became an even better outlet.

Smith 5 - One good save and a howler, decent aerial ability and kicking.

Clohessy - 7 - great cross for the best goal of the game plus the usual consistency.
Phillips - 6 - didn't see him put a foot wrong. Nearly got him a goal himself.
Cresswell - 7 - Good commitment, a few silly needless challenges, I reckon he could be our top scorer this season!
Barker - 6 - Did okay at left back, got forward and had a few good crosses late on.

Hurst - 7 - Always trying to get involved and crosses looked dangerous, good link up with Clohessy, feel a bit more confident about a possible life after Hall.
Timlin - 8 - Had one of his better games, good range of passing on display today.
Spicer - 6 - Only seemed to get in to the game later on when Daggers were more tired, seemed tidy on the ball but I thought Timlin outshone him.
Martin - 6 - Thought he did okay, gives us more of a threat having two wingers on the pitch!!!

Britt - 8 - 2 goals and good strength, awareness and link up with Tomlin....Wasted a couple of chances.
Tomlin - 7 - Should have had 2 goals definitely, looks like he is trying to hard to score, like him though, did well for the team.

Subs:

Harris - 7 - Tried to get involved and made a few good runs/crosses.
Straker - 7 - Thought he did very well when Daggers were more tired, maybe the wing is the place for him?
Benyon - Not enough time.

From where I was the red looked harsh, on top of that it looked like our lad took a very late stumble... won't complain though.

There were many clear cut chances in this game, Daggers opened us up on 3 occasions and how they did not score all 3 I will never know (Barker made a good clearance for one mind).
Tomlin and even Britt were fairly wasteful also, but both worked hard and played well, great header by Britt.

Smith was doing okay until his howler, no way should have let that in, but get any mistakes out of your system in this kind of game I say.

We finally got the two wingers I have been shouting for, and both did well, Hurst looks like he has a very good cross on him and Martin adds a bit of flair to us. I did think Straker did well on the left wing later on as well. When they tired we really stretched them and the wings became an even better outlet.

Smith 5 - One good save and a howler, decent aerial ability and kicking.

Clohessy - 7 - great cross for the best goal of the game plus the usual consistency.
Phillips - 6 - didn't see him put a foot wrong. Nearly got him a goal himself.
Cresswell - 7 - Good commitment, a few silly needless challenges, I reckon he could be our top scorer this season!
Barker - 6 - Did okay at left back, got forward and had a few good crosses late on.

Hurst - 7 - Always trying to get involved and crosses looked dangerous, good link up with Clohessy, feel a bit more confident about a possible life after Hall.
Timlin - 8 - Had one of his better games, good range of passing on display today.
Spicer - 6 - Only seemed to get in to the game later on when Daggers were more tired, seemed tidy on the ball but I thought Timlin outshone him.
Martin - 6 - Thought he did okay, gives us more of a threat having two wingers on the pitch!!!

Britt - 8 - 2 goals and good strength, awareness and link up with Tomlin....Wasted a couple of chances.
Tomlin - 7 - Should have had 2 goals definitely, looks like he is trying to hard to score, like him though, did well for the team.

Subs:

Harris - 7 - Tried to get involved and made a few good runs/crosses.
Straker - 7 - Thought he did very well when Daggers were more tired, maybe the wing is the place for him?
Benyon - Not enough time.

Shows how opinions differ, thought Martin was pretty poor and Straker did next to nothing when he came on.

Jesus lay off Martin already, he gave a good shift, when ever I saw him he was back helping out in defence...I don't call that lazy. Also saw him have a couple of decent runs, should not be on the transfer list.

Shows how opinions differ, thought Martin was pretty poor and Straker did next to nothing when he came on.

Yep, thought Straker looked tidy on the ball, nothing amazing. The same with Martin, I thought he put a shift in and did okay down the wing, definitely not worth anything less than a 6/10.

spot on agree with that like u say smith looked solid until the error but did pick himself up and put in professional performance good stop from 8 yards kicking and handling top notch. all in all good result up the league we go happy days ahead.

I must of been watching a different game to you as in the first half, not for the first time this season, he doesn't seem to understand his team mates wear blue!!!

Back