• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-1 Grimsby Town

Talk about a Curate's Egg. First half we scored so early that I thought we might get a hat full, but instead we went for the headless chicken approach which was our trademark at the start of the season. Truthfully, we could have been 3-1 down at H/T but the gods were kind to us and posts and bar kept the score at 1-0. The second half was the exact opposite with two substitutions at the start of it and the team actually got into their faces and made it difficult for them. A well worked free kick straight from the training ground and Tom Clifford stroked the ball into the right hand corner. Then more substitutions from MM and on came Halford, and bugger me he scored (though I'm not convinced it wasn't an og, but no matter. 3-1 and the West Stand sphincters were once again relaxing. So overall, lots to admire and lots to learn lessons from. Like it or not, Without Macca we were not at all convincing in the middle of the park, with him it just looks so much more organised. On Saturday Akinola didn't overly impress me, but tonight he was just what we needed. He has that ability to spring jump and win headers against taller defenders and partnering with Halford looks like it may be what we need for the rest of the season.

So, 6 points from the last two games and now we have a platform to push on. Lets hope we do. I tell you what as well, the table looks a bit healthier for us now.

Screenshot (85).png

I'm now off for a hot cup of coffee because concrete steps and plastic seats are not a marriage made in heaven for my old bones and I'm pretty bloody cold at the moment, but there again a win makes it worth it.

Well done to MM for making the changes at half time. First half after a fantastic start we sat to deep and the pressure told. Second half we controlled the game and deserved to win. Can see halford being used as impact sub during his month stay, looks useful in the air and can hold the ball up to bring others into play. Man of match for me is Hobson, he getting better and better each game.

Credit to MM tonight he’s clearly learning as a young manager but he had the balls to change it and HT and what a difference. I thought they looked really organised first half but after the changes I don’t really recall Oxley having to make a save?

Akinola is a tricky player and one I think we will grow to love watching. Halford looked decent and used his experience well winning fouls up the pitch and I think Acquah can learn a thing or two from him even though he isn’t an out and out striker. Egbri has looked good off of the bench in the past few weeks as well and is a constant nuisance.

MOTM for me was Hobson. Him and Dieng have formed a partnership in recent weeks and looked reasonably solid but tonight I thought he dominated in the air and his distribution in parts was exceptional, notably the ball to Elvis in the second half. He’s growing in confidence as are the entire team.

Back to back wins, a strong(ish) bench, new signings, no embargo, experienced players fit. Call me crazy but I feel slightly optimistic all of a sudden!
You can see our strength in depth is improving when:

1. We brought on 5 subs and didn't look weaker for it and:
2. We still had Nathaniel-George on the bench at the end

Onwards and Upwards people. Some smart signings in January and things will definitely look a lot better.

Key to this season is keeping olayinka in January. Didn’t set the world alight tonight but is a cut above. Any criticism of acquah is valid tonight, but he is still learning his trade. I still think there is a player in Sterling, just hope he can find his form.
UTB
You were doing well until the third sentence.
Acquah doesn't even look like a footballer.
Those rolling shoulders betray bulk he doesn't need, and anyway, his jumping is awful. Compare with Akinola and his leap.
Sterling needs mucho work.
He has little sense of anticipation and the ball rarely sticks when it comes to him.
That second-half team looks more like the side that could save us.

Acquah

Effort - 0
Running ability - 0
Speed - 0
Body language - 0
Passion - 0
Jumping and heading - 0
Team player - 0
Hands in hips skill -10

This really must be worst forward we have ever had, lack of ability i can tolerate but lazy i cant forgive, at 64 years old i honestly i think i could out jump and beat him over 100 metres

He should never play for us again

Sterling needs to be sent back. I felt a bit for Acquah, there was no support at all for him, but correct to take him off.

Olayinka has to play in the middle, completely wasted on the right.

As for Egbri, think he is very harshly criticised a lot of the time, but makes a complete nuisance of himself and never gave up and adds support for Elvis.

Akinola was excellent when he came on, both upfront and out wide.

We gave Grimsby far too much room in the first half, but closed them down a lot better in the second, which made such a difference.

Acquah

Effort - 0
Running ability - 0
Speed - 0
Body language - 0
Passion - 0
Jumping and heading - 0
Team player - 0
Hands in hips skill -10

This really must be worst forward we have ever had, lack of ability i can tolerate but lazy i cant forgive, at 64 years old i honestly i think i could out jump and beat him over 100 metres

What about his role in the opening goal?

Sorry but Acquah need rid of and get someone else in, he's stealing a living as a footballer ? I jokingly said to the missus at halftime we might as well stick Halford on upfront, he'd be better with his height than the cart horse Acquah and look what happened ??

Acquah

Effort - 0
Running ability - 0
Speed - 0
Body language - 0
Passion - 0
Jumping and heading - 0
Team player - 0
Hands in hips skill -10

What a roller coaster of a game.
Superb goal by Kyle, took the shot on and got the prize.

Then.....
Ox spread the word and slowed it down, we stopped playing on the front foot and Grimsby can count themselves unlucky not to go in at 3 1 up, they bossed it.
MM, imo bottled it, the equaliser was SO coming and Emile and Sterling were passengers for 30 minutes and should have been hooked off; MM was telling them what he wanted and they weren't doing it!
Olyinka ought never to be played wide as he doesn't know or do the job and is wasted.
I don't think Taylor is fit yet, nor Hart who worked but ran out of energy.
The subs were, again obvious and correct.
Dieng and Hobson look sound.
Tom Clifford is a possible M of M contender over the 98 minutes with a goal and an assist.
Akinola looks a proper striker, works hard, tricky and leaps like a salmon.
Macca is essential if we are to make steady progress.
There are lots of lessons to learn from this game by the players and the management.
We are a few players short of what we need.
On to The Stags, UTB!

I'd doubt if Halford has been signed as a forward.

Halford played upfront for Forest a few times IIRC. If he can win headers, hold the ball up, and chip in with the odd goal, then why not. Certainly in the past we have played defenders upfront in the past to fairly good effect. Dublin, Newman and Mohsni spring to mind.

But time will tell.

Acqua getting slammed. He was absolutely knackered from the off. Legs gone. I'm going to be kind and say the kid needs a rest.
I posted at half time that acqua among others looked dead. Then MM makes two excellent subs...Akinola I'm sure he is carrying something...definitely not as fit as required but he was excellent when he came on...egbri provided much needed energy and tenacity. We then started playing some football. Fantastic corner routine for the 2nd.
You can see coaching coming through. Hobson is coming along nicely seems to have adapted to the pace of the pro game...dieng playing well at CB. Options from the bench. We might just stay up you know x

So much has changed hasn't it. Early season we were being rolled over and fully deserved it. Then we got a few players back, improved a bit but every bit of luck went against us. That's when you know you're doomed. Now the psychological and practical stone around our neck of the embargo has gone and been replaced by belief and hope. And Lady Luck has changed sides - no coincidence there. I doubt Halford has been signed to be our physical presence up front but he's a versatile guy and did he fill that roll tonight. Akinola is going to be a handful for all the teams in league 2 ... not just the two very poor teams we've beaten. My big hope was that we'd be able to stay in touching distance of the teams above us come the January sales. If our 4th new signing Luck continues to produce the goods we'll be better than that. Let's hope for good reinforcements in the transfer window and we can dream of playing our first game at Fossetts in the football league.

You were doing well until the third sentence.
Acquah doesn't even look like a footballer.
Those rolling shoulders betray bulk he doesn't need, and anyway, his jumping is awful. Compare with Akinola and his leap.
Sterling needs mucho work.
He has little sense of anticipation and the ball rarely sticks when it comes to him.
That second-half team looks more like the side that could save us.
Thanks for your opinion. Problem i have with it is that sterling is highly rated at one of the best youth set ups in the country. Transitioning to play league 2 football on a cabbage patch pitch takes time, but getting minutes under managers such as pochettino doesn’t happen if you’re rubbish. Just come back from a long term injury and I’ll take my chances with pochettinos eye for a player over yours. Give the kid a chance, he chased and hurried today and won some good fouls when we needed to calm the game down. If you took SZ literally, you’d think he got his professional contract in a lucky bag.

Agreed that the second half team needs to start, Emile and sterling will be good options on the bench.

A much needed 3 points but that was a shocking game to watch. It didn’t help that we scored so early as we just sat back and tried to strangle the life out of the game, time wasting almost from the off.

In the end we got the win via a set piece and a hilarious goalkeeping error. I suppose Halford’s experience was what we’ve been missing as he conned the ref into twice booking their guy for the same offence. The rest of the night was largely spent time wasting.

But winning two in a row is huge.

The Hobson-Dieng pairing at the back looks a viable partnership although our problems at left-back remain. Yet another goal conceded down our left. No doubt Elvis was to blame.

We now have a full squad and Egbri is earning his minutes on merit.
Akinola isn’t a centreforward but he he’s excellent with the ball at his feet and can beat a man from a standing start. He looked a lot better on the left and means we can ditch Goodship - did he even make the bench today?

Finally, that is now twice we’ve won 3-1 the game before lockdown. Another dozen or so lockdowns should see us safe.

Acquah

Effort - 0
Running ability - 0
Speed - 0
Body language - 0
Passion - 0
Jumping and heading - 0
Team player - 0
Hands in hips skill -10

He wasn’t even the worst forward on the pitch in the first half.

I think one of the best things to see is not only are the fans getting back behind the team, but the players really seem to get on well and support each other.

I'm not in the know but I've heard plenty of whispers coming out of what was a toxic changing room in our last couple years of decline.

I finally have a manager and a set of players I can throw my support behind.

Also, what happened to the Shaun Hobson who started this season? He looks a completely different animal now, really suits the big lump role we need at the back. I don't think there were many crosses today that he didn't get a head or a leg on.

Back