• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-1 Grimsby Town

Acquah

Effort - 0
Running ability - 0
Speed - 0
Body language - 0
Passion - 0
Jumping and heading - 0
Team player - 0
Hands in hips skill -10

This really must be worst forward we have ever had, lack of ability i can tolerate but lazy i cant forgive, at 64 years old i honestly i think i could out jump and beat him over 100 metres

He should never play for us again
Congrats for being the author of the worst SZ comment ever. Kids 20 years old making a name for himself being bash by a 64 year old man who would’ve given his left bo**ock to be a professional footballer.

we have won 3-1 yet sad cases feel the need to bash one of our youth products for having a bad game. Get a grip

Fair play to MM , he’s got a CB pairing that don’t look like conceding every time the ball goes into the box , he has a few wise heads who killed the game when needed and added some height , aggression and experience .

Hobson was decent tonight and thought Akinola changed the game .
Also a special mention to Egbri who injected some pace and willingness to run at players .

That was a big 15 minute half time chat . Personally I’d lose Sterling , Aqcuah in January and get one decent player in who will add value to the team .

Not pretty at times but effective

I wouldn't lose Acquah. He's shown a hell of a lot of improvement since he first came into the first team picture. He's so young to be playing such a physical role in the team and I would allow him to stick around and learn from some of the more experienced players.

Yes, he should not be starting games just yet but given the improvements he has shown at an early age, it would be short-sighted not to keep him around if we can.

Hobbers looks much improved, it was a real tough start for him and he's really grown over the past few weeks.

Well what I do not want to see is a Ron stating that "I have saved the world by getting the embargo lifted etc. etc. etc."
We can all see the difference that adding experience and quality has added to the squad and our performances and we do not own the club!
This begs the question "Why didn't you get the embargo lifted months ago Ron"?
If you had we might be mid-table (remember those heady days!) and the fans (remember them Ron) would be so much more upbeat, happier have confidence in the future of the club, bought season cards etc. I am absolutely at a loss to understand why Ron has managed the club the way he has over the last 2 years. There is though a glimmer of light for this club so onwards and upwards COYB!!

Congrats for being the author of the worst SZ comment ever. Kids 20 years old making a name for himself being bash by a 64 year old man who would’ve given his left bo**ock to be a professional footballer.

we have won 3-1 yet sad cases feel the need to bash one of our youth products for having a bad game. Get a grip
AS i said a bit of effort would be good, it doesn't matter what his age is, all we expect is the player to give their all and he clearly never has.

Agreed with the sentiments about Shaun Hobson. A young player who had never played at this level before this season, he has really grown into it lately and has been consistently good for a number of weeks now. He hasn’t quite looked as comfortable on the ball as I had expected, but the last few weeks that aspect of his game has been much improved and I’ll put that down to confidence. Him and Dieng look to get on well, and i think are settling into a good partnership which will only help Oxley (again, much improved recently), Elvis and Cliff.

JD & Macca’s fitness will be crucial. I think Kyle and Olayinka are doing just fine, but need either or both of those two help them through the games. Akinola was superb tonight. Wide left is his position, and his leap is surprising. A different kind of hold up player to Acquah, but tonight much more effective than Emile - - who deserves our patience and support. He’s learning, and I think could do with an experienced target man to watch up close.

Molesley deserves an awful lot of credit, both for tonight and the last few weeks. I like his demeanour, I like how he has adapted and learned and I like how he has persevered when he’s felt he’s right. I thought his post match comments were spot on tonight too. I had worried a month or so back, having heard of some misgivings from within the club, but I think that’s starting to change and the camp is certainly an optimistic and together one. We’re now resolute, relatively tough to break down, scoring goals and looking up. Doesn’t that make a change.

There are players in Emile and Sterling, BUT unless they get their heads in gear and knuckle down with better work and thought practices they won't make it.
They need to work work and then work some more, jogging about, not believing they will win a 50-50 or get a deflection, slip, rebound, lucky break is a sure way of never making their own luck.

Ox 6 - not much to do and unlucky with the goal

Elvis 6 - a bit too easily beaten in the first half
Hobson 8 - starting to look like a player
Dieng 7 - looked more than comfortable
Clifford 7 - looked a bit off in the first half, but great strike for the goal

taylor 7 - goal and neat and tidy throughout. Really good player
Olyinka 6.5 - did well, but final ball was a bit lacking. This is what he really needs to work on. For all of his ability, he doesn’t create enough chances for other players
Demi 7 - had a dip in form, but seems to have got back to a 7 out of 10 every week
Hart 6.5 - not as good as Saturday, but still one surging run through the middle

sterling 6.5 - I thought he tried hard and competed well. Any balls in behind he had no chance with.
Acquah 4 - wasn’t good from Emile tonight. When he plays well he gets by, but tonight he didn’t play well. Whether he was carrying an injury I don’t know. I’d look to loan him for a bit of experience and see how he gets on down a level or two.

Subs
Akinola 8 - MOTM. Ok, maybe I’m over egging it, but he held the ball really well and competed. Recycled the ball that won the corner for Cliffords goal. Recycled the ball for Halfords goal. This doesn’t seem much, but it was the difference from the first half or most games this season. There would have been no recycling, the ball would have been lost and we would have been defending.
Halford 7 - didn’t seem to do much, apart from score a scrawny goal, get an elbow and a head butt which got their captain sent off (the second yellow was harsh IMO)
Egbri 7 - ran about and was a nuisance.
macca 6.5 -did what he had to
Klass - too early to score, but in his cameo he did win an awkward challenge in our penalty box with a great bit of defending.

Well done MM - it proves that having half decent players really is needed to give a manager a chance

Key to this season is keeping olayinka in January. Didn’t set the world alight tonight but is a cut above. Any criticism of acquah is valid tonight, but he is still learning his trade. I still think there is a player in Sterling, just hope he can find his form.
UTB
Game of two halves tonight. First half we had Acquah and Sterling up front. What a difference Akinola and Halford made in the second half...no comparison for me.

Agreed with the sentiments about Shaun Hobson. A young player who had never played at this level before this season, he has really grown into it lately and has been consistently good for a number of weeks now. He hasn’t quite looked as comfortable on the ball as I had expected, but the last few weeks that aspect of his game has been much improved and I’ll put that down to confidence. Him and Dieng look to get on well, and i think are settling into a good partnership which will only help Oxley (again, much improved recently), Elvis and Cliff.

JD & Macca’s fitness will be crucial. I think Kyle and Olayinka are doing just fine, but need either or both of those two help them through the games. Akinola was superb tonight. Wide left is his position, and his leap is surprising. A different kind of hold up player to Acquah, but tonight much more effective than Emile - - who deserves our patience and support. He’s learning, and I think could do with an experienced target man to watch up close.

Molesley deserves an awful lot of credit, both for tonight and the last few weeks. I like his demeanour, I like how he has adapted and learned and I like how he has persevered when he’s felt he’s right. I thought his post match comments were spot on tonight too. I had worried a month or so back, having heard of some misgivings from within the club, but I think that’s starting to change and the camp is certainly an optimistic and together one. We’re now resolute, relatively tough to break down, scoring goals and looking up. Doesn’t that make a change.

I can think of few previous Southend managers that could have matched MM's coolness and composure under fire. Despite being dealt a tough hand at the club, he has never scapegoated the players or felt sorry for himself. In fact, MM has the 'smarts' to realise that playing the 'blame game' almost inevitably backfires and becomes an obstacle to an improvement on the pitch.

Well what a difference 10 days can make. We went into this run of games knowing that we had to pick points and that's 1 draw and two wins in 3, and with a faultering Mansfield to come Saturday.

Saturday and even more so tonight showed MM qualieties and also the difference depth and quality on the bench can give you. Hart and Akinola although not 100% fit are already showing what they can offer the side, Macca fit and firing adds that experience in the middle of the park along with JD and on tonight short evidence Halford also offers something different. A settled back four also helps with both Clifford and Elvis looking back to their best and a special mention for Dieng and Hobson who have been brilliant the last few games. Hobson in particular is growing game by game. Oxley is way more vocal and adding some stability between the sticks.

Taylor and Olyinka ooze class and both must be retained in January. Throw in Egbri and ANG and the squad has options. Even Klass tonight showed something positive in his brief appearance.

Yes we've rode our luck over the last few games, but we've had **** all for most the season so maybe it's our turn. A huge well done to MM for spotting the obvious issues tonight, making the changes and changing the game massively in our favour and we deserved that there tonight

Well done again to the club for organising a safe environment for us to be in and simply gutted we won't be able to return again for a while as certain our support has helped the team this week

Still a long way to go but we have belief and hope back, but can not afford to let this slip now.

Well what a difference 10 days can make. We went into this run of games knowing that we had to pick points and that's 1 draw and two wins in 3, and with a faultering Mansfield to come Saturday.

Saturday and even more so tonight showed MM qualieties and also the difference depth and quality on the bench can give you. Hart and Akinola although not 100% fit are already showing what they can offer the side, Macca fit and firing adds that experience in the middle of the park along with JD and on tonight short evidence Halford also offers something different. A settled back four also helps with both Clifford and Elvis looking back to their best and a special mention for Dieng and Hobson who have been brilliant the last few games. Hobson in particular is growing game by game. Oxley is way more vocal and adding some stability between the sticks.

Taylor and Olyinka ooze class and both must be retained in January. Throw in Egbri and ANG and the squad has options. Even Klass tonight showed something positive in his brief appearance.

Yes we've rode our luck over the last few games, but we've had **** all for most the season so maybe it's our turn. A huge well done to MM for spotting the obvious issues tonight, making the changes and changing the game massively in our favour and we deserved that there tonight

Well done again to the club for organising a safe environment for us to be in and simply gutted we won't be able to return again for a while as certain our support has helped the team this week

Still a long way to go but we have belief and hope back, but can not afford to let this slip now.

Tonight was a strange game indeed. I thought Saturday was slightly fortunate but well deserved as the visiting team didn't try to win the game. Tonight was just, well, massively fortunate.

Grimsby could well have been out of sight after 45 minutes. How on earth we managed to go in level at half time I suppose is only known by the gods of football. We were TERRIBLE. No creativity, literally every ball came straight back. Our left hand side was targeted mercilessly and eventually Sam Hart ran out of juice, they worked the overlap and equalised.

Molesley had actually recognised this and had moved Sterling to the right for an extra body in midfield but unfortunately, Grimsby knew Hart was knackered and Clifford was unsure and their new guy Morais was superb. In particular, Olayinka was well out of sorts, his movement off the ball was really concerning tonight - it was one of the reasons our first half was so poor. He didn't seem to want the ball or if he did, his movement was non-existant.

At half time, Molesley had his chance and the substitutions changed the game completely. Egbri gave us new energy, and offered an outlet because he was willing to run at the defence. Akinola similarly gave us something different and worried their defence which was cumbersome and struggled to deal with his flair. He gave us a real taste of what he can offer tonight, but we need to sign one or two more decent strikers to give him a chance.

The set-piece for Clifford's goal was clearly one that had been worked on and rightly so because we still offer very little physical threat for a direct ball into the box. Chalk another one up for the PE teachers.

Halford proved to be a masterstroke - his experience and physicality were just about enough to get away with playing that position (although I would be disappointed if we were considering it as a viable long-term option), and he was just what Grimsby didn't need to deal with at that stage of the game. Macca added a bit of organisation and the visitors really didn't threaten again.

A mention for Hobson who was superb and continues to grow. At 22, he's still a very young centre half but he's learning fast. Man of the match for me. Great for Taylor to get his first goal and it will definitely live long in the memory. Fans again had no time for being negative, and got behind the team and it probably made the difference - once again, we were not necessarily the better side but have ended up with three points. The lower gates don't seem to affect the atmosphere - these 2,000 are the hardest of the hard, the ones who were willing (and able, I am sure many others would have done had they been able to) to support the club financially when live football was very much uncertain and have continued to stay by the team through the toughest of times. Tier 3 is a real choker and we'll all miss the place.

Thanks for your opinion. Problem i have with it is that sterling is highly rated at one of the best youth set ups in the country. Transitioning to play league 2 football on a cabbage patch pitch takes time, but getting minutes under managers such as pochettino doesn’t happen if you’re rubbish. Just come back from a long term injury and I’ll take my chances with pochettinos eye for a player over yours. Give the kid a chance, he chased and hurried today and won some good fouls when we needed to calm the game down. If you took SZ literally, you’d think he got his professional contract in a lucky bag.

Agreed that the second half team needs to start, Emile and sterling will be good options on the bench.
You may well be right, but its hard to see that when youd pick any grimsby player over him...

Just a few thoughts having just watched the highlights....the game was played at a very anti social time here so I did not watch it live.
I see the stats say that Grimsby had 64% of possession and had ten shots at goal as opposed to our four. You will not normally win games like that so in the circumstances it was a good effort but Grimsby's league position suggests they are not that good a side so we still need to continue to improve if we are to secure our Football League status.
We won the second half 2-0 and scored in the 75th minute following an 80th minute goal on Saturday. It may be just my imagination but during the last three or four seasons it seemed we were invariably on the wrong end of it in the second half often conceding goals late in the game. This suggested both lack of mental toughness and suspect levels of physical fitness. Am I clutching at straws here, or, are these late goals evidence that at last we have players fit enough to compete for a full ninety minutes?
Commenting on the game many ShrimperZoners have been very complimentary about the efforts of Hobson and Dieng. I was also following Saturday's win while generally it seems most find the defence is now looking altogether more solid. May I suggest that this might be a result of us at last being able to field a functioning midfield? Being able have any two of Kyle Taylor, Macca or JD on the field at any one time gives our team a very solid look, and, takes pressure off the defence. It also no doubt helps the attack; was I the only one who never saw three goals coming last night?
Despite our win Acquah was criticised by some. It has been said he contributed nothing, and, it may well be he was generally ineffective. However, very early in the game he did win a challenge, and, was then able to slip the ball to Oliyanka to start the move that led to Kyle Taylor scoring. As he played a significant part in the build up to our goal I think it is a stretch to claim he did nothing although he may have well have struggled subsequently.
I was not expecting Holford to play (I went to bed not even knowing he had been signed) and could not help but think back to some more recent managers where it seemed we only signed players following a few days (sometimes even longer) speculation in the press. The present approach is much more to my liking.
What is the story behind Holford? Did he approach us or did we put feelers out? And is he really playing for nothing, or, did he just trial for us without asking for payment. Even if it was just the latter it shows a refreshing attitude not often seen among present day players. I am stating the obvious when I say it is an improvement on Ridgewell!
We went into the last three matches knowing that unless we were able to glean some points from them a drop to the Conference was a real possibility. Seven points from a possible nine was a grand return, and, better than the most optimistic of us expected. All that, and, we managed to avoid any significant injuries in these three games!
Although our squad still looks threadbare in some respects it should improve as the newcomers gain in match fitness. Even more importantly self belief in the squad must be growing as will be confidence levels.
We won ugly on Saturday, and, perhaps semi ugly last night. I feel a really good win coming soon. Let us hope it is on Saturday at Mansfield! Go You Blues!

Thanks for your opinion. Problem i have with it is that sterling is highly rated at one of the best youth set ups in the country. Transitioning to play league 2 football on a cabbage patch pitch takes time, but getting minutes under managers such as pochettino doesn’t happen if you’re rubbish. Just come back from a long term injury and I’ll take my chances with pochettinos eye for a player over yours. Give the kid a chance, he chased and hurried today and won some good fouls when we needed to calm the game down. If you took SZ literally, you’d think he got his professional contract in a lucky bag.

Agreed that the second half team needs to start, Emile and sterling will be good options on the bench.

I disagree with this; I expected better from someone from a Premier League setup and it wasn't just yesterday, what has the guy done in any game he's played for us?

Egbri was head and shoulders above Sterling, and if I was Sterling, I would be embarrassed by that.

Back