• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another game that highlights the potential in this side but a manager who can't get it out of them consistently

Brainless subs again. I can get Weston coming off as he looked like he was cramping up but the other 2 were made for the sake of it. I learned at under 8's that you don't make a substitution when defending a set piece and this is a clown who in his playing career was a defender

He said yesterday he'll keep playing his best 11 as the season isn't over. Despite after the Rochdale game saying it is over. He then proceeds to play an 11 tonight that have never played together 😂😂😂😂

He's been here 3 years now and has never known his best team

Oh, and Sheffield United have a touch of the Leeds syndrome. Big club, yes. Big team, behave yourselves!

Massive chip on their shoulder

Another game that highlights the potential in this side but a manager who can't get it out of them consistently

Brainless subs again
. I can get Weston coming off as he looked like he was cramping up but the other 2 were made for the sake of it. I learned at under 8's that you don't make a substitution when defending a set piece and this is a clown who in his playing career was a defender

He said yesterday he'll keep playing his best 11 as the season isn't over. Despite after the Rochdale game saying it is over. He then proceeds to play an 11 tonight that have never played together 

Seriously mate.....You haven't got a clue.

Seriously mate.....You haven't got a clue.

Hahahahaha oh and I suppose you and super Phil do?

Brown's subs have constantly left people scratching their heads. He brings on Mr yes man John White and totally confused everything with how the back line was lined up, they were all looking at eachother thinking well who's playing where now then?! His next sub was to try and correct that

When was the last time we actually finished a game with the same shape we started it with? The man is a joke

Rather than hilariously claim I haven't got a clue, how about adding something to a topic?

Brown's subs have constantly left people scratching their heads. He brings on Mr yes man John White and totally confused everything with how the back line was lined up, they were all looking at eachother thinking well who's playing where now then?!

You have made this up!! How in the world did people get confused by bringing on a right back and reverting to 4 at the back; pretty simply really and IMO the correct move

Hahahahaha oh and I suppose you and super Phil do?

Brown's subs have constantly left people scratching their heads. He brings on Mr yes man John White and totally confused everything with how the back line was lined up, they were all looking at eachother thinking well who's playing where now then?! His next sub was to try and correct that

When was the last time we actually finished a game with the same shape we started it with? The man is a joke

Rather than hilariously claim I haven't got a clue, how about adding something to a topic?

To to be fair McLaughlin defo had cramp, he went down in front us and was clearly struggling. Worrall hasn't started for weeks so he also looked knackered. I was disappointed not with the subs that came on but he changed a formation that was working. But, we did win in the end, so credit where credits due, the team last night from start to finish got a bit lucky but in the end deserved the win. Same again Saturday please.

Great to see width in the side on both sides. Thought both Worrall and McLaughlin had excellent games, best wingers at the club when fit. Deegan and Atkinson solid in the middle, Barnett and Payne excellent up top. Defence at times looked shaky and Bentley defo had a few moments! Overall a comfortable win. Hope PB sticks with formation, but who knows. Good night, excellent crowd and usual win on tv!!!!
Didn't feel too comfortable when Sharp and Adams somehow managed not to score and when they hit the post almost making it 2-2 my heart was in my mouth. Then we get a route one sublime goal from man of the match Payne.

Brainless subs again. I can get Weston coming off as he looked like he was cramping up but the other 2 were made for the sake of it. I learned at under 8's that you don't make a substitution when defending a set piece and this is a clown who in his playing career was a defender

He said yesterday he'll keep playing his best 11 as the season isn't over. Despite after the Rochdale game saying it is over. He then proceeds to play an 11 tonight that have never played together 

Subs were needed as Sheffield threw the kitchen sink at us. White came on to secure the defence and as he ran on he was clearly giving Browns instructions to go to a back 4 and giving an air of assurance in a crucial stage of a hard fought match.
I agree to some extent about knowing his best team but Brown has to put up with injuries and some players still coming to terms with this higher league. Not sure the term "brainless" is appropriate.

We played good, attacking football with width.

Yes we could have lost it but we didn't.

Really enjoyable game and more of the same please.

What a shame we've spent so much of the season playing sterile defensive stuff whilst all packed together in the middle of the pitch.

Well done yesterday Brown and let's keep this positive approach.

An enjoyable game between two sides who didn't see it as a "dead rubber" but a last chance at the play off saloon AND played up for the cameras.....and shop window.
Interesting line up and for the first 20+ minutes PB shouted himself hoarse at Thommo to keep out to the right side - some pre-watershed foul language.
Deegs seemed to have rattled a few of their midfielders and the Blades' only player to offer him any physical stuff was Billy Sharp- the ref seemed to perform for the TV too, few fouls, even fewer hand balls and plenty of chat.
A BIG NEGATIVE was the poor set piece defending, again BUT with an ever changing team and no-one knowing who is starting it must be hard working on some stuff like that?
Ty was back to the player who joined, interested and fired up, Jack oozed class. Wozza was on a mission.
Westy needed the game time and ran and almost got it good several times but was missing the sharpness that games give.
Mac was good going forward, tackling back etc.
MOM Jack, closely followed by Deegs and Wozza.
Slightly odd subs but JW slotted in easy, the minutes for Lennie might be a good starting point for him to get his match fitness back from.

Sky definitely got their money's worth last night. The best thing about the TV cameras is that it puts the moaners off from attending. So the East stand was a lot better last night ...well done to us fans.

I was also worried about the ref at first but he contributed to a good game. Credit to Sheffield, like us, they play without rolling around. Great second half, Sharp lobs it over the bar and we go down the other end and Worrall scores. They hit the post we score from the clearance.

Just a note on the set pieces. For their goal the 7 Ryan Flynn had excellent body language and a good dummy step which was just enough for us to expect the right foot shot. Still a good delivery and header even if we were not tight at the back post. Cocker had one from a similar position early in the first half. We rarely have another player standing over the ball and if we do, their half hearted body language fools no one. Its small margins but what if we had scored 3 or 4 more from set pieces and not conceded 3 or 4 we would be in the play-offs.

Good night, that.

Subs were correct.

McLaughlin was cramping up and Sheffield United had brought Calvert-Lewin on and had switched to three up front, so it was right to change to a back four.

Just finished watching the game again.

Massive plus points for Deegan, Worrall and McLaughlin and I thought Coker was very good, given he was playing centre-half, though he did have that one slip up that let Sharp in.

PB set up 3-5-2 to counteract their 3-5-2 system and to double up on Sharp at the back, but it also gave us more options.

Payne was outstanding and Barnett worked tirelessly.

Note to SKY TV : We didn't play the whole of the first half with a diamond system! We played 3-5-2 from the start .. Jeez, don't they even ask PB what system he is playing, before the game! :blush:

After all the media guff this week I didn’t really have a clue what, or who, to expect when the team ran out last night. So Worrall, Weston and Mclaughlin starting didn’t really come as a surprise.

We kicked off with three at the back and some crisp one touch football and after 28 minutes reaped the reward when Barnett scored on 28 minutes. I missed the goal because of the metal post supporting the stand to my left obscuring my view! I still jumped up and cheered with the rest waiting for someone to tell me who scored, and no one did, I had to wait till the tannoy man did his job. 1-0 up and playing well, time to sit back and relax.......until the 34[SUP]th[/SUP] minute when Sheffield equalised due to our inability to defend. And so on to half time with some scares in both goalmouths. I have to say that I though Sheffield would be big time, they weren’t, in fact it was about huff and puff and a bit of muscle for them.

Of the three players I mentioned above, Worrall and McLaughlin really put in a shift in the first half and obviously were out to impress. Weston? He ran about a lot, most of it very quickly, but not much end product. That was probably because he has been out of the action for so long, but I struggled not think it was Weston being Weston (probably unfair).

Second half, and off we go again. I have to agree with everyone else on here, Payne was having one of those games where opposition defenders found him unplayable. That said, he could still do with working on his decision making, to pass or not to pass, that is the question. Barnett was continuing to bully their back four and, all in all, we were pressing with intent. We were rewarded on the 60[SUP]th[/SUP] minute with a lovely curling shot from Worrall, which was just reward for all of his efforts. The bloke ran his nuts off last night, won headers he had no right to win and thoroughly deserved his MoM award. Last up was Jack’s goal. This will be dribbled over on here at length this week, so suffice to say it was real class.

Other worthy mentions? Atkinson and Deegan in the middle, working so hard, Coker playing out of position and performing as we have come to expect. Downsides? A bit harsh maybe, but Adam showed his age at times and Thompson didn’t fill me with confidence either.

So, last week I had a reality check, and then they go and do this and that has re-introduced a little bit of doubt that it’s all over. You just have to love Southend, don’t you?

PS - did anyone notice that Lenny is back?:smiles:

Back