• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I take it you were never captain of the under 8's

Ironicially that's what JW looks like as a captain on the pitch

I believe you're making that as a jab at me. Well pardon me for being taught the correct ways of football from a young age which a lot of people on here and sit in the stands at roots hall could have done with getting

Plenty of Football people at the Hall last night. The usual suspects, Edinburgh and Harris. Nice to see Barry Corr chatting with the lads. Neil McDonald was taking notes for Saturday. Make sure Jack remembers his shin-pads for the trip.

After all the media guff this week I didn’t really have a clue what, or who, to expect when the team ran out last night. So Worrall, Weston and Mclaughlin starting didn’t really come as a surprise.

We kicked off with three at the back and some crisp one touch football and after 28 minutes reaped the reward when Barnett scored on 28 minutes. I missed the goal because of the metal post supporting the stand to my left obscuring my view! I still jumped up and cheered with the rest waiting for someone to tell me who scored, and no one did, I had to wait till the tannoy man did his job. 1-0 up and playing well, time to sit back and relax.......until the 34[SUP]th[/SUP] minute when Sheffield equalised due to our inability to defend. And so on to half time with some scares in both goalmouths. I have to say that I though Sheffield would be big time, they weren’t, in fact it was about huff and puff and a bit of muscle for them.

Of the three players I mentioned above, Worrall and McLaughlin really put in a shift in the first half and obviously were out to impress. Weston? He ran about a lot, most of it very quickly, but not much end product. That was probably because he has been out of the action for so long, but I struggled not think it was Weston being Weston (probably unfair).

Second half, and off we go again. I have to agree with everyone else on here, Payne was having one of those games where opposition defenders found him unplayable. That said, he could still do with working on his decision making, to pass or not to pass, that is the question. Barnett was continuing to bully their back four and, all in all, we were pressing with intent. We were rewarded on the 60[SUP]th[/SUP] minute with a lovely curling shot from Worrall, which was just reward for all of his efforts. The bloke ran his nuts off last night, won headers he had no right to win and thoroughly deserved his MoM award. Last up was Jack’s goal. This will be dribbled over on here at length this week, so suffice to say it was real class.

Other worthy mentions? Atkinson and Deegan in the middle, working so hard, Coker playing out of position and performing as we have come to expect. Downsides? A bit harsh maybe, but Adam showed his age at times and Thompson didn’t fill me with confidence either.

So, last week I had a reality check, and then they go and do this and that has re-introduced a little bit of doubt that it’s all over. You just have to love Southend, don’t you?

PS - did anyone notice that Lenny is back?:smiles:

You just wrote my match report for me RHB, totally agree with all of that. I had either Worrall or McLaughlin as MOM but then Jack scored and nicked it off them at the death.
You must sit near me because I didn't see who scored the first goal because of the post as well.

Plenty of Football people at the Hall last night. The usual suspects, Edinburgh and Harris. Nice to see Barry Corr chatting with the lads. Neil McDonald was taking notes for Saturday. Make sure Jack remembers his shin-pads for the trip.

There certainly were, just a little over 7k of us.

You just wrote my match report for me RHB, totally agree with all of that. I had either Worrall or McLaughlin as MOM but then Jack scored and nicked it off them at the death.
You must sit near me because I didn't see who scored the first goal because of the post as well.

Get yourself over to the Sky highlights thread, you can watch it without those pesky posts.

Got very lucky last night. We played well, but on another night, the first goal is disallowed as the keeper had both hands on it, Billy Sharp scores that lob 9 times out of 10, and they squeeze that one in that hits the post in the last minute and we end up 2-2 or losing.

The idiot on here that thinks the subs were wrong is just trying to get attention, and Weston and Macca were both cramping up having not played for months. The only other option when PB had to take Macca off would of been to keep the shape and put Hurst as a wing back (yes, not a good idea).

I think we are all going a little over the top with Payne again, as yes it was a great goal, but there was a lot of time in the first half especially he was not involved or gave the ball away.

Deegan was my MOM as he was constantly picking up the clearances and re-cyling the ball to keep attacks going, and also scared their midfield and won a lot of balls he had no right to. The second goal was a prime example of this.

Still think we will finish a bit short, but we will know a lot more after the next couple of games.

Still think we will finish a bit short, but we will know a lot more after the next couple of games.

It's that lack of consistency that is so vexatious ............ and exasperating. :nope:

Oh hang on. It's Southend United we're supporting ............

...... I think I'll dig out a bucket and spade for the weekend coming. :smile:

Got very lucky last night. We played well, but on another night, the first goal is disallowed as the keeper had both hands on it, Billy Sharp scores that lob 9 times out of 10, and they squeeze that one in that hits the post in the last minute and we end up 2-2 or losing.

The idiot on here that thinks the subs were wrong is just trying to get attention, and Weston and Macca were both cramping up having not played for months. The only other option when PB had to take Macca off would of been to keep the shape and put Hurst as a wing back (yes, not a good idea).

I think we are all going a little over the top with Payne again, as yes it was a great goal, but there was a lot of time in the first half especially he was not involved or gave the ball away.

Deegan was my MOM as he was constantly picking up the clearances and re-cyling the ball to keep attacks going, and also scared their midfield and won a lot of balls he had no right to. The second goal was a prime example of this.

Agree with most of your post but not the two hands on the ball bit. Perfectly good goal for me. Remember they scored a very similar goal at Bramall lane.

My first game at Roots Hall after moving back to my spiritual home of Essex last week (been living in London since 05'). Only my third game this season (good vs Peterboro, terrible vs Millwall).

Really enjoyed it last night and randomly had my auntie over from Australia who was desperate to watch an English 'soccer' match. She thought the atmosphere was incredible - and swearing in the chants hilarious!

Felt we got lucky last night, turning point for me was at 1-1 when Sheff Utd no.10 was 1 on 1 with Bentley - and went for the glory finish, only to find the roof of the net. Spurred us back into life.

Ball seems to glue to Payne's feet (give him a three-year deal, please), Atkinson and Deegan bossed the centre mid and Ty Barnett works tirelessly. Also rate Thompson, clean and tidy centre back.

Biggest criticism is how many men we commit forward at corners/set-plays - and are slow to get back. And also the terrible marking for their goal.

Anyway, happy to be back up the road and hoping to watch more of the same before the season ends - and could be tempted into getting a season ticket for the first time since the bleak days of Division Three next year :dim::dim:

When they showed it on a different camera angle he first had 2 hands on it, then lost control and had one hand on it, and Barnett then tapped it in. It turned out to be a brilliant decision by the Ref and the Lino. All the Sky commentators and experts said there was nothing wrong with the goal after seeing the replays and slowmo.

Have the balls to tag me in a post.

Yes, 2 of the players who came off have been out with long injuries but my issue is the players who came on and the shape we ended up with

Have the balls to tag me in a post.

Yes, 2 of the players who came off have been out with long injuries but my issue is the players who came on and the shape we ended up with

Why don't you show us some balls and instead of just slagging, tell us who you would have subbed and why.

Were you even at RH?

Why don't you show us some balls and instead of just slagging, tell us who you would have subbed and why.

Were you even at RH?

Bit gay

I would have made like for like replacements. McQueen for Weston was fine but White for McLaughlin? Behave. Bring on Hurst, an actual winger who has actually started to re-discover a bit of form of late.

Leonard, I wouldn't have chucked him in after a bad injury and at the start of the week Brown was saying he's only just come through some non contact stuff in training so I found that one very strange.

Just as an aside, where was Kamara, by the way?

Is he injured?

Not that I would have played him anyway, but both him and Worsdworth went from playing on Friday, to not even being on the bench last night.

Just as an aside, where was Kamara, by the way?

Is he injured?

Not that I would have played him anyway, but both him and Worsdworth went from playing on Friday, to not even being on the bench last night.

He got called up to the Finland squad so I'm not sure if he's not back yet or just rested.

Bit gay

I would have made like for like replacements. McQueen for Weston was fine but White for McLaughlin? Behave. Bring on Hurst, an actual winger who has actually started to re-discover a bit of form of late.

Leonard, I wouldn't have chucked him in after a bad injury and at the start of the week Brown was saying he's only just come through some non contact stuff in training so I found that one very strange.

So your medical knowledge is better than all our backroom staff and PB. If not Leonard then who? Was it right to sub Worrall?

I'll ask again were you even at RH.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game last night, end to end, plenty of width and both sides there to win! Superb. What is so frustrating about sitting through many of our games this season is that we have a decent squad, some talented players who can put on such a great display, as so beautifully demonstrated last night, yet we constantly pick a side who is then instructed to get one goal then sit back and defend with no width and no creativity - why oh why can't Mr Brown set the team up to play to our obvious strengths every week?? :'( If he did, our Saturday's would be much more interesting for a start, and we wouldn't be in contention for a possible play off finish, we would much more likely be firmly up there close to the automatics! Those of you who know me will know that I prefer the simple philosophy of scoring more goals than the opposition and watching attacking attractive football. We got that last night by the bucketload, and we are good at it, so why we try to defend for 89 minutes week in week out is beyond me... Rant over!

despite a bit of kamikaze defending at set pieces (what was going on for their goal...?), I like the 352 formation, and it was good to see such a strong attacking line up for once. We looked dangerous on the attack, and with Deegan and Atkinson in the middle, we were solid in midfield and in defence, up against a very capable Sheffield side. The new and improved Deegan has obviously been working hard to maintain his discipline, and he did a good job of staying calm in the midst of a lot of jostling - I thought he was central to everything last night. Captain marvel, a certain AB, was awesome again. A bit slow, yes, but his positioning and experience definately trumps his longstanding lack of mobility! Thought Coker looked slightly off the pace by his standards, but still did okay. Worrall was outstanding, simple as. Saw the highlights on sky, and that goal has got to be up there as one of the best this season, it looked good last night, and it was even better on the replay! Good to see Weston back, lacked sharpness, as only to be expected given his lay off, but he got in some good positions, made some great runs and gave them something else to think about! macloughlin played well, his speed and width open up a lot of space, giving Payne plenty of space to roam and do what he does best - that goal was genius, only possible with that fantastic pass from McQueen, another bright young talent! Another stand out was Barnett, strong, determined and worked hard, thoroughly deserving his goal. Even the change of formation was justified, bringing White on to help out on the right was the way to go, as both Macloughlin and Weston were running out of steam, and it was good to see McQueen get some game time as he has a lot to offer. Great to see Lenny back as well, looking strong and fit, just hope he isn't rushing back too quickly from that injury.

all in all 10/10.

Great all round performance, we saw 2 goals that could each easily be the league 1 goal of the season, can't disagree with Worrall as MOM but very close over Deegan. We need to be on telly every week!

Back