• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Superb performance and result! At half time things could easily have gone the way of Rochdale, the defending for their goal was shocking and we looked nervous at the back throughout, but that was still a quality performance.

Bentley 7 Couple of shaky moments but did everything he had to do well
Worrall 8 Proved a point out of position, very well taken goal
Thompson 7 Won his battles, though occasionally struggled against their movement and pace
Barrett 6.5 Struggled with their pace but won the aerial battles
Coker 8.5 Bar the one slip which let Sharp through, he was superb tonight
McLaughlin 7.5 Very good performance and added some much needed width
Atkinson 6.5 Usual hard work but little significant impact
Deegan 7 Hassled them, lucky not to get booked
Weston 6 Didn't really contribute, hard to expect much after so long out but still disappointing, probably not fit to start in normal conditions
Payne 9.5 Magician
Barnett 7.5 Fought and worked hard non stop, won every tackle and header he could
Subs
McQueen 6.5 Did what was needed
White 7 Solidified things a bit in the final minutes
Leonard - Great to have him back

Highlight for me though is Phil's post match claim that Payne could sign a new deal by Saturday.

What a goal by Payne, that little dink was certainly Messi like! Good performance, but I'm not getting carried away by the playoffs. We've still got to play 4 away games (2 against the current top 3) , and we've not been good away from home recently.

From the telly:

Bentley - 7/10 - Some great saves, with one or two tricky moments
Atkinson - 7/10 - Industrious and tidy in possession
Barrett - 8/10 - Very solid and rarely troubled
Thompson - 8/10 - A really decent performance
Coker - 7/10 - Caught out one on one which should have resulted in a goal. Otherwise a good performance
Worrall - 8/10 - Back to his best. Hard working and dangerous. Great goal
Deegan - 8/10 - Quietly effective, great in possession, added some grit and found space to support attacks. Needless dig on Sharp.
Payne - 10/10 - An exceptional performance capped with a fantastic goal
Weston - 6/10 - Sadly he was off the pace, but good to have him back
McLoughlin - 7/10 - Outnumbered and exposed for their goal. Worked hard in response and almost scored a good goal.
Barnett - 7/10 - Really hard working, but sometimes chose the wrong option and guilty of turning over possession needlessly.

Subs:
McQueen - Tidy
Leonard - Little time to do much
White - ok

Superb performance and result! At half time things could easily have gone the way of Rochdale, the defending for their goal was shocking and we looked nervous at the back throughout, but that was still a quality performance.

Bentley 7 Couple of shaky moments but did everything he had to do well
Worrall 8 Proved a point out of position, very well taken goal
Thompson 7 Won his battles, though occasionally struggled against their movement and pace
Barrett 6.5 Struggled with their pace but won the aerial battles
Coker 8.5 Bar the one slip which let Sharp through, he was superb tonight
McLaughlin 7.5 Very good performance and added some much needed width
Atkinson 6.5
Deegan 7 Hassled them, lucky not to get booked
Weston 6 Didn't really contribute, hard to expect much after so long out but still disappointing, probably not fit to start in normal conditions
Payne 9.5 Magician
Barnett 8 Fought and worked hard non stop, won every tackle and header he could
Subs
mcQueen 6.5 Did what was needed
White 7 Solidified things a bit in the final minutes
Leonard - Great to have him back

Highlight for me though is Phil's post match claim that Payne could sign a new deal by Saturday.
If I was in his shoes I certainly wouldn't sign any deal this week, wait until the summer and get an offer from a Championship club. Obviously I really hope this doesn't happen but I certainly wouldn't begrudge him it.

Match report: Southend United 3, Sheffield United 1

SOUTHEND United surged back up to eighth in the League One standings with a well-deserved 3-1 win against Sheffield United at Roots Hall*tonight.

More...

Just got in. I probably need to think what I saw through a little bit before I write too much, but Payne was great, Worrall thoroughly deserved his man of the match and his goal and Mclaughlin had a class game and it was so good to see Lenny take the pitch. I'll offer words on the central defence tomorrow, knackered now. Respect to the East Stand for their chorus of 'Come on Southend', we heard it in the West!

Great result and a very good performance. Well done again Phil Brown.

Jack Payne is a real talent. And isn't Tyrone Barnett good? What a strong trier he is. Good to see Weston and Lennie back.

We have a pretty good run-in ahead of us. Come on you Blues!!

McQueen pass to Payne from the edge of the Blues 18 yard box was just sublime.

Great stuff. Barrett and Worrall played very well. Payne :thumbsup:

What a talent Payne is. Wont be suprised to see Adkins get the boot soon.

Don't forget the often unrecognised work in the middle by Deegan and Atkinson, Deegan in particular broke up so much of their play and then played a simple ball to someone with more skill.....just a shame he can't shoot for toffee:winking:

Although I like the 3-5-2 system, I was a bit worried about todays line-up mainly because we were playing our really good left back at centre half just to accommodate it. (Especially when we have 2 perfectly good CBs out on loan and one on the bench)Still it meant we actually had some width and it showed how much of a difference it makes to the forward players when we do. Mclaughlin and Worrall were superb. Why Mclaughlin hasnt been in the team sooner I dont know. To be fair Coker did ok considering he is in no way a Centre Back. Shown by his misjudgement which allowed Sharp through who should have done a lot better when it was 1-1. We did look shaky at the back, but fantastic everywhere else. Deegan had his best game of the season I thought, Atkinson also looked composed. Barnett seems to save his best efforts for TV. He never gave up and won everything. Payne though. He just gets better. He can still dribble when he should pass and visa versa, but he is learning fast and the goal was amazing. Having width leaves more space in the middle for Jack to do his magic. Worrall I think got man of the match which shows how well he played too. So frustating though isnt it?. Seeing that performance, knowing that this league isnt really that good and knowing we should be in the play-offs. Too many systems and personnel changes really hasnt helped us in my opinion. Comedy moment in the second half when Barrett on one of his usual journeys up front struggled to get back. It did look like he was running backwards. Anyway, who knows, Leonard back in the team, this kind of performance we could sneak it. Cue, 3-1 defeat at Blackpool, a new system and 6 changes.
Bentley 6, Worrall 9, Barrett 6, Thompson 7, Coker 7, McLaughlin 8, Deegan 8, Atkinson 7, Payne 9.5 MOTM, Weston 6, Barnett 7.5. Subs Mcqueen 7

Great to see Worrall, McLoughlin and above all Leonard back.

Payne and Worrall's goals were excellent.

Payne was superb , but for me Deegan was MOM , that's how good I thought he was.

PB mentioned on the radio that we've taken 13 out of 18 points when playing with a back 3. Keep up that ratio for the rest of the season and we won't be far from the play-offs. That's always assuming we play 3 at the back for the rest of the season.... 😀

Great to see width in the side on both sides. Thought both Worrall and McLaughlin had excellent games, best wingers at the club when fit. Deegan and Atkinson solid in the middle, Barnett and Payne excellent up top. Defence at times looked shaky and Bentley defo had a few moments! Overall a comfortable win. Hope PB sticks with formation, but who knows. Good night, excellent crowd and usual win on tv!!!!

Back