• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-2 Burton Albion

Where to start? Well, I have a smile on my face which, if it was any wider would probably split my mouth open. That's how happy I am at the moment. The whole game was exciting, no other word for it. Obviously the predictions from some that Burton would already be on the beach was a bit off beam. There were a very disciplined team that we had to work hard to beat for the whole 90+ minutes.

That was, without a doubt, the most exciting home game I have seen this season and it was probably the tightest my arse, and those around me, has been for those final minutes of the 90 and then the 5 mins of added time. Where did that come from? At 3-1 I thought it was done and dusted, but no, we were treated to another Burton goal to give us the grandstand finish we didn't really need.

It would be wrong of me to name a MoM as they were all heroes. But from a analysis viewpoint it was hard to recognise Turner & Elvis based on recent views on here of the blokes. Today they were both just what I hoped they would be before ko, stand out players.

A special word of praise for the crowd today. Everyone got behind the team and the Blue Voice was immense. In fact the West Stand rocked in a way I haven't experienced for a long time.

So, three points on the board and Rochdale next. Please don't **** it up now lads.

Still smiling, all together now..........We are staying up, I say we are staying up.............

What a game - I had those horrible nervous shakes that you normally get when you're cold, for the last 20 minutes!

Everyone gave their all, and you really can't ask any more of them than that.

Cracking save from Oxley in the 2nd half, I thought Kightly made a huge difference when he came on, they seemed more scared of him than they'd been of any of the other players. The two wing backs, Hart and Elvis were both fantastic. Mantom was immense in midfield, and Coxy just ran his legs into the ground.

Maybe all those retro shirts brought us some luck today, we were certainly due some especially as we barely got a foul given our way until Kightly came on!

Oxley - 7
Elvis - 8
White - 7.5
Turner - 8
Moore - 7.5
Hart - 8
Mantom - 8
Yearwood - 7.5
Kiernan - 7
Bunn - 7.5
Cox - 8.5 my MOTM

Subs - Hyam for Kiernan - 7
Dieng for Yearwood - 7
Kightly for Bunn - 7.5

I guess I need to make a decision about Rochdale now, lol!

Very good performance today. You could see what it meant to the players after the game. I haven’t heard Roots Hall rocking like that all season: superb atmosphere. Just goes to show how the players performance affects the crowd and vice versa.

As for player performances, I thought Elvis and Cox were excellent today, but Mantom my MOM; that’s what I’d call a proper captains performance. Also a mention for Oxley who pulled off a great save late on and came off his line twice (yes, it did really happen) to make crucial tackle/block and smother the ball.

I was due to play cricket next Saturday, but am now unavailable as I’ll be at Spotland... COYB!!

Where to start? Well, I have a smile on my face which, if it was any wider would probably split my mouth open. That's how happy I am at the moment. The whole game was exciting, no other word for it. Obviously the predictions from some that Burton would already be on the beach was a bit off beam. There were a very disciplined team that we had to work hard to beat for the whole 90+ minutes.

That was, without a doubt, the most exciting home game I have seen this season and it was probably the tightest my arse, and those around me, has been for those final minutes of the 90 and then the 5 mins of added time. Where did that come from? At 3-1 I thought it was done and dusted, but no, we were treated to another Burton goal to give us the grandstand finish we didn't really need.

It would be wrong of me to name a MoM as they were all heroes. But from a analysis viewpoint it was hard to recognise Turner & Elvis based on recent views on here of the blokes. Today they were both just what I hoped they would be before ko, stand out players.

A special word of praise for the crowd today. Everyone got behind the team and the Blue Voice was immense. In fact the West Stand rocked in a way I haven't experienced for a long time.

So, three points on the board and Rochdale next. Please don't **** it up now lads.

Still smiling, all together now..........We are staying up, I say we are staying up.............

It’s like being transported back to the heady days of David Coleman or Brian Moore !

Three points in the bank, some seriously good cold lamb for dinner tonight courtsey of the freeloaders having gone home yesterday and not finishing it all off, still some of my decent red wine left to go with it (they did try to drain it all but failed) and then all polished off with episode two of Game of Thrones. That makes it a pretty good Easter Monday for me. Still smiling too!!

Work rate and application got the three points today.

Good subs from Bond. Thought Burton full backs were being allowed to venture too far into our half before we engaged them. Bringing Kightly on to make a midfield 4 countered that.

Great to finally get that winning feeling once again!

Awesome performance, awesome atmosphere. Credit to Burton, they kept playing football and wanted to win that game, it was a very testing last few minutes and it has been literally MONTHS since we had a game of such tension and excitement.

The injustice of Good Friday showed itself in a spirit that was really never say die. Every player gave their all and it was good enough - just - for today.

One thing - where was that desire all season? The players that have so often gone missing and let us down suddenly played their part. Well done for today but make sure that you give everything next week and the week after. The job is not yet done.

Oxley - 8 - Back to his more reliable self, two or three good saves and one great one.
Elvis - 8.5 - Best performance of the season by him. Showed how much he wanted it and stepped up.
Hart - 7 - Decent parts to his game combined with the parts that are really not good enough. Went AWOL for their first goal and had done the same a few minutes earlier.
Moore - 8 - Good performance from the lad, made some telling tackles.
Turner - 8 - A win on his 500th game, well done Michael. Good performance too.
White - 6 - The only player a little off the pace today.
Mantom - 9 - MOM - I've been one of his harshest critics but so good to see him back to what we know he can do.
Yearwood - 7 - Lots of energy, I was surprised he was subbed to be honest.
Kiernan - 7 - So good in the air, I was surprised when he didn't come out for the second half. Maybe 2 games in 4 days is too much for him as he has barely played for 2 years.
Cox - 8.5 - Usual hard working performance, great effort.
Bunn - 7 - Got the 2nd, so unfit but that's probably as a result of his injuries. Still gave 100%.

Subs -

Hyam - 8 - Committed performance, really wanted it, nearly scored with a terrific shot brilliantly saved.
Dieng - 8 - There is a good player in there... great header. So what have the performances been about in the last few weeks then?
Kightly - 7.5 - Even he did better than usual, always involved, great free kick for the third. Should have squared it to Mantom rather than try and score from an impossible angle though.

Bond - 8 - Always involved, giving instructions. Credit where credit is due, he's got them performing with that effort, well done.

Ref - 7 - Quite good but missed a couple of absolute assaults on Hart and Cox.

The crowd - 10 - What an atmosphere and we were going from the kick off. We all got the players through that. We didn't stop encouraging the players which is what we should always do... none of this booing and criticising. It is absolutely in our power to get the players over the line.

COME ON WE CAN DO THIS!

Last edited:
What a game - I had those horrible nervous shakes that you normally get when you're cold, for the last 20 minutes!

Everyone gave their all, and you really can't ask any more of them than that.

Cracking save from Oxley in the 2nd half, I thought Kightly made a huge difference when he came on, they seemed more scared of him than they'd been of any of the other players. The two wing backs, Hart and Elvis were both fantastic. Mantom was immense in midfield, and Coxy just ran his legs into the ground.

Maybe all those retro shirts brought us some luck today, we were certainly due some especially as we barely got a foul given our way until Kightly came on!

Oxley - 7
Elvis - 8
White - 7.5
Turner - 8
Moore - 7.5
Hart - 8
Mantom - 8
Yearwood - 7.5
Kiernan - 7
Bunn - 7.5
Cox - 8.5 my MOTM

Subs - Hyam for Kiernan - 7
Dieng for Yearwood - 7
Kightly for Bunn - 7.5

I guess I need to make a decision about Rochdale now, lol!

Awesome performance, awesome atmosphere. Credit to Burton, they kept playing football and wanted to win that game, it was a very testing last few minutes and it has been literally MONTHS since we had a game of such tension and excitement.

The injustice of Good Friday showed itself in a spirit that was really never say die. Every player gave their all and it was good enough - just - for today.

One thing - where was that desire all season? The players that have so often gone missing and let us down suddenly played their part. Well done for today but make sure that you give everything next week and the week after. The job is not yet done.

Oxley - 8 - Back to his more reliable self, two or three good saves and one great one.
Elvis - 8.5 - Best performance of the season by him. Showed how much he wanted it and stepped up.
Hart - 7 - Decent parts to his game combined with the parts that are really not good enough. Went AWOL for their first goal and had done the same a few minutes earlier.
Moore - 8 - Good performance from the lad, made some telling tackles.
Turner - 8 - A win on his 500th game, well done Michael. Good performance too.
White - 6 - The only player a little off the pace today.
Mantom - 9 - MOM - I've been one of his harshest critics but so good to see him back to what we know he can do.
Yearwood - 7 - Lots of energy, I was surprised he was subbed to be honest.
Kiernan - 7 - So good in the air, I was surprised when he didn't come out for the second half. Maybe 2 games in 4 days is too much for him as he has barely played for 2 years.
Cox - 8.5 - Usual hard working performance, great effort.
Bunn - 7 - Got the 2nd, so unfit but that's probably as a result of his injuries. Still gave 100%.

Subs -

Hyam - 8 - Committed performance, really wanted it, nearly scored with a terrific shot brilliantly saved.
Dieng - 8 - There is a good player in there... great header. So what have the performances been about in the last few weeks then?
Kightly - 7.5 - Even he did better than usual, always involved, great free kick for the third. Should have squared it to Bunn rather than try and score from an impossible angle though.

Bond - 8 - Always involved, giving instructions. Credit where credit is due, he's got them performing with that effort, well done.

Ref - 7 - Quite good but missed a couple of absolute assaults on Hart and Cox.

The crowd - 10 - What an atmosphere and we were going from the kick off. We all got the players through that. We didn't stop encouraging the players which is what we should always do... none of this booing and criticising. It is absolutely in our power to get the players over the line.

COME ON WE CAN DO THIS!

Would have been harder for Bunn to score that being as though he wasn't on the pitch. Kightly replaced him

I THINK it might help that Rochdale won. Their desperation won't be quite as fierce as it might have been.
Typical though a crucial match has to be in a God awful place thousands* of miles away against a team we've beaten only once in the last seven.
How big was today's win?

*figuratively

Back