• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cracking game this afternoon, all the players put in a shift, thought we thoroughly deserved the victory. Kightly was fantastic today, my MotM.

Atmosphere was fantastic ! TBV were incredible !

Same players, but a totally different attitude. Yeah the defending was sometimes a bit ropey, but their keeper made at least four saves that another day would have ended up in the net. I hope this win gives them the confidence to climb the table to safety and then to kick-on in 2018/19.

They now have a manager they respect and want to play for. I was like watching 11 different players to the recent games. It helps they all played in their correct positions too..

So much more commitment from every player today.

They now have a manager they respect and want to play for. I was like watching 11 different players to the recent games. It helps they all played in their correct positions too..

So much more commitment from every player today.

Kightly and Mclaughlin played on opposite sides to normal ? When Kightly played on the left beginning of season we had a thread slating Brown for playing him there.

I think that was the best we have played all season I didn’t think those players had it in them to be honest but just shows what you can do with a positive change, fans aswell fantastic and think we should all get right behind Powell and get down to Peterborough next week really show our true support! UTB

Great game and a very good win against a strong Scunthorpe side. Thought White and Turner did particularly well given we were set up to be attacking and they were strong going forward. White is our best CB IMO and I am impressed by Turner- not quick but he never was, but quick enough and could form a very good partnership with JW

Great to see Tims back to doing what he does best, and Dru has a great career ahead of him. They did very well given we were playing two wide men.

McLaughlin and Kightly different class and both carried a real goal threat.

Cox very good, work rate top notch, Fortune as ever defying the years.

Good to see Cokes as skipper- approaching his normal standards.

If we sign one player in the window let it be a real aerial threat upfront- rather all the money went there tbh

Turner: "I was a young pro at Charlton when the manager was a senior pro. I trained with him quite a bit and he's one of the best professionals I've ever trained with. The way he conducted himself and looked after the younger players was second to none."

Thoroughly enjoyable performance on a thoroughly miserable afternoon. Think people underestimated initially how slippy it was out there and how well, therefore, Cox, McLaughlin and Kightly in particular did in that first 20 minutes. It was like watching a rejuvenated team, they were playing with passion, pride and intent, never seen Kightly so pumped as he was since he's been back with us.

Don't care if it was a cross or not, his goal was terrific, and then McLaughlin took a fee kick to give us another memorable goal. All finished off with Michael Turner popping up to secure the winner in injury time. Thoroughly deserved and made all the better because of the ineptitude of the officials - it felt like sticking two fingers up at the ref for everything he let Scunthorpe get away with.

Chris Powell on the touchline was in total contrast to his predecessor, nice to see, and full credit to Ricky Duncan and Kevin Maher for stepping up and helping get these players ticking again.

Oxley - 6, couple of very dodgy moments
Demetriou 6, not one of his better performances
White - 8, imperious, no nonsense
Turner - 7, solid and scored the winner
Coker - 7, wore the armband and won! Don't think poor old Lenny managed that at all! Did ok didn't overlap as much as normal
McLaughlin - 8, real strength and intent, very, very solid performance
Yearwood - 7.5, the lad did very well though there were a couple of times when inexperience showed
Timlin - 7.5, the Tims of old, very committed and got stuck in
Kightly - 8.5, my MOTM, thought he was immense
Cox - 8, some great shots on target, very unlucky not to have scored, worked bloody hard throughout
Fortune - 7.5, held the ball up well and showed why him and Cox is the best forward line up we have

Subs:
Robinson for Fortune - can't say I noticed him much. My only criticism today was the substitutions, game was calling out for fresh legs to run at a tired defence, to only use one when players out there had given their all on that surface and in those conditions was wrong, in my opinion, Wabo would have been a better choice for me, and I'd have liked to see McGlashan brought on too.

That was the 3rd season in a row at home, where we've conceded first to Scunthorpe and won the game :-

2015-16 : 2-1
2016-17 : 2-1
2017-18 : 3-2

Well that was more like it, played with pride, passion and as a 'team'

Oxley - 5.5, Weak today, poor kicking at times and slow to come for crosses
Demetriou -4.5, Very Poor, at fault for first goal, offers nothing going forward, never rated him
Coker-7, Great to see him made captain, our most consistent player, so good choice. Solid game
Turner-7, Solid performance, great in the air and got the crucial winner
White-7, Looked like a good partnership with Turner and bossed their attackers
McLaughlin-7.5, Great free kick and some lovely touches, hopefully returning to form from first half of last season
Yearwood-7, not MOM but very solid and good too see CP blending youth with experience, great prospect
Timlin,7, no Lenny and we do need a bit more creativity, but much better when played in his correct position
Kightly 7.5, best performance of the season for me, as I have been really unimpressed so far, hope he keeps it going
Cox, 8 MOM, lead the line superbly and many more shots than usual
Fortune, 6.5, held the ball up well and nice touches, but not the striker we need and never shoots

Overall great to see some back to basics, playing with width, shoot on site policy, good team selection and nobody played out of position. Defence still worries me and we need to clear our lines better and cut out the silly mistakes.

Need a goalscoring target man, creative central midfielder and another centre back to shore up the defence in the transfer window!

Feel good factor back at the Hall, Chrissy Powell's barmy army!!

Great team performance. Yes, we conceded two sloppy goals but unlike a week or so ago the lads shrugged it off and got on with it and won the game. A performance full of effort, desire and commitment and as fans that's the least we should expect. What was different for me today was that we really pressed high up the pitch and forcing their centre backs to panic and hoof a lot. For me the stand out players were Cox, Kightly, macca, white and timlin. Thought Dru did well but surprised he got mom. What I urge now is for as many of you to travel to Peterborough next week. SCP will have a whole week to work with the team, maybe 2 or 3 new players in as well. Let's get behind him and the team and cheer them on to another 3 points which are more than gettable at Borough.

Just as I thought, the change of regime has made a huge difference. It was like we had signed several new players today, and it was lovely to watch! I have just heard Chris Powell's post match interview. He said there is a lot to do, and he was really pleased with the performances today. He said he wanted shots and crosses, and boy did we see some of those! What was so good for me was seeing everyone in their right positions (and yes, Kightly and McLaughlin were on opposite sides to normal), and it worked! There was no disconnect between the midfield and the forwards, and at times there were 3 or 4 of our lads running, so suddenly we look like an attacking side. If CP can make such a difference after 2 days, the rest of the season is going to be far more interesting!

Scunthorpe are a decent side, and we matched them today. We aren't quite as sharp, and we are not quite as quick, and I thought that our players all looked a bit knackered by 80 minutes - but they haven't worked so tirelessly for a while, so probably not a surprise! We have work to do, it wasn't perfect by any means, and we have some tough games coming up. But, I like what CP said, one game at a time, no targets, take each step as it comes. I think I am a little in love �� all over again!

Kightly was my MOM, followed closely by Coxy, who looks like the Simon Cox who used to frighten the life out of defenders and terrorise everyone, and John White, who was unassumingly awesome today. Young Yearwood looked very comfortable, so pleased for him that he got the sponsor's nod and the champagne. If he carries on like that, with Woody and Wright still to come back, is our search for another midfielder suddenly as pressing? Thought JD was having a tough time, and Coker wasn't quite as good as normal. Overall, a very entertaining game in awful conditions, and an unexpected 3 points!

Just a special mention for the terrible refereeing decisions... apart from the red card, which could have been 1/2 hour earlier if he had been watch the game, he was appalling!

I was thinking on SCP's switching sides with the wingers, it could be that he likes the idea of early crosses actually angled in towards the keeper, so on rushing players only need a slight touch to score.

It certainly worked with the first goal, having Kites cut inside and send a cross bending in towards the far post.

Last edited:
What a refreshing interview Chrissie, players need to feel good about themselves not sagged off at every opportunity

Back