• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
What a superb win! So much desire and passion that had been missing and players willing to have a go. Defensively there's still a lot of work to do, but given all that really changed in time for today was the attitude, it was a superb display and win.

Too often we've conceded and heads have dropped and it's ended up being 4 or 5 but today the lads never gave up and it was enjoyable to watch.

Some players really had the bit between their teeth, Cox and Fortune in particular, and gave their all and seeing parts of that play, up against a top four side, you can see where this side should be in the league.

Oxley 6 To blame for the first goal.
Demetriou 6 Also to blame for the first goal.
White 7 A couple of skewed hoofs but generally strong.
Turner 5 Kept hoofing and heading the ball out of play unnecessarily.
Coker 6 Didn't get forward as usual but solid at the back.
Kightly 7 Moments of class and moments where he looks completely average. Well taken fluke.
Yearwood 8 Performance way beyond his years, MOM may have been generous but he did a great job.
Timlin 7 Showed what he can add when played in the middle. Put their keeper off at both free-kicks we scored from.
McLaughlin 7.5 Got forward well and had an end product. Powerful free-kick.
Cox 8 Didn't stop throughout, had a go from distance and tested them. More like last season.
Fortune 8 As above.

Sub
Robinson 6 Headless chicken.

Haven't celebrated a goal like Turner's winner in a long time, especially at Roots Hall, so brilliant to see and a real kick start to our season if Powell can get the team playing with that belief week in week out.

Out come the rose-tinted glass mob, he’s our savior.
A bit more desire from our guys, more like theywere playing for their contracts. Horrendous defending, their first was set upby Oxley's poor kicking putting a soft defense on the back foot, it did notimprove much. Forwards told, for the most part shoot on sight, which made anice change, it also keeps the supporters sprits up. Going to need a whole lot moreto balance and some big defenders. The Rotherham side were poor for their league position

First half full of energy, desire and more importantly some actual attacking patterns of play....fully earnt the slice of luck for kightlys goal. Their keeper made 4 or 5 really good saves.
2nd half was a bit flat to be fair. Macca free kick was good. Last gasp winner always welcome.
Yearwood looks the real deal for me.
Only criticism was the reluctance to change things a bit when we were clearly lacking with 20 to go. Other than that....my absolute hero Chris Powell is a winner

[FONT=&quot]First time we've come from behind to win this season in the league and first since Walsall on March 18th year. Came from 2-0 down to win 3-2.[/FONT]

Get in there!!! Very important win :smile:

Don't want to take today's performance too much in to account today since Powell has only had 2 days training with the team, but it almost felt 'same old story' up until we nicked it at the end. Played well first half, but gifted the opposition 2 soft goals and dropped off a lot in the 2nd half towards the end as we tired and Scunthorpe took control. Lacked options on the bench I think since our first sub wasn't until the last 5 minutes or so despite desperately needing a change.

On to the positives! Will be interesting to see where Powell looks to improve the squad going forward, we played with a more direct and high tempo style than usual and I think he'll look to sign a strike partner for Cox. Crowd really got behind the team today, was great to see. And a last minute winner - who doesn't love those? Also Yearwood looks a real talent, clever little pass in to Kightly to win that free kick at the end that most players wouldn't have seen.

Onwards and upwards!

Great win, shame about the crowd, was always gonna be under 7,000 against Scunthorpe, bigger gates coming up against Wigan and Portsmouth tho:thumbsup:

Lads put a real shift in today, can't argue with that. Really good and enjoyable game to watch. We tried to play out from the back too much but when we started just getting rid we looked better. Took lots of shots, their keeper made some good saves. We were the better team and deserved to win so I'm very glad that we actually did

Did we need that .Just a few subtle differences and we actually scored 3 goals!!.A lot more effect and positive shots in front of goal with Cox and FW playing a lot closer together and looking like a strike force ,Kightly after a shaky start grew into game and showed what he can do.Yearwood looks a great prospect and can only improve if played regularly in the right position. A lot more width in play which was nice to see.Still not settled at the back ,but early CP days and the team effort and 3 points were the most important part of the day

What a cracking advert for League One football that was. We were on the train with a Scunny fan on the way to the game and I warned him they’d need to see out the first 20 minutes coz we were gonna start the game like a house on fire. We didn’t disappoint and were bright from the off. Unfortunately we still seem to be indecisive at the back and nervous about the pitch and are making some poor decisions between playing our way out from the back or no nonsense defending. We didn’t deal with the ball into the box and fall behind even though we should probably have been ahead by that point.

But today the side had a different feel about it. The whole side seemed to play with freedom, effort and determination which has been sadly lacking all season. Everyone in the crowd seemed pumped up too and every 50-50 won was greeted with a roar from the home support.

10 minutes before half time and Kightly, who’d had an outstanding first half overhits a cross and it goes in off the post and we get a slice of luck our first half performance has merited.

In the second half we finally start getting some decisions from the hapless officials who’d awarded us very little in the first period and I was starting to wonder if the man in the middle could only point in one direction. Macca slams it in and we’re in dreamland - winning a game after losing 8 of the previous 9. Unfortunately we keep Scunny at bay for all of 3 minutes before their second chance of the game is clinically taken and was again caused by indecision in the home side’s backline.

But you can’t have a dramatic last minute winner without a disappointing equaliser from the away side earlier in the game.

Michael Turner - thanks for making my day.

Ref was total pony. Let Scunthorpe do what they wanted, numerous pushing and holding. Foul on our player that should have been a free kick before Scunny scored their second. MAF should have had a penalty, blatantly pulled back in the area.

Players played for the manager today. Dodgy at the back at times but 110% commitment from every player. Blocks, tackles and all full of running.

Went mad when Turner put the ball in the net at the end.

Powell has work to do but a great start to his reign

On the train to London getting told off for being on here, don't care. Managed the whole game, a bit hairy getting our train but we did it. Totally knackered but deliriously happy. Not sure about Dru as MoM but what the ****. Come on the Blues and the Lion King.

First half full of energy, desire and more importantly some actual attacking patterns of play....fully earnt the slice of luck for kightlys goal. Their keeper made 4 or 5 really good saves.
2nd half was a bit flat to be fair. Macca free kick was good. Last gasp winner always welcome.
Yearwood looks the real deal for me.
Only criticism was the reluctance to change things a bit when we were clearly lacking with 20 to go. Other than that....my absolute hero Chris Powell is a winner

Ref was total pony. Let Scunthorpe do what they wanted, numerous pushing and holding. Foul on our player that should have been a free kick before Scunny scored their second. MAF should have had a penalty, blatantly pulled back in the area.

Players played for the manager today. Dodgy at the back at times but 110% commitment from every player. Blocks, tackles and all full of running.

Went mad when Turner put the ball in the net at the end.

Powell has work to do but a great start to his reign

I agree about the ref; how in the world that wasn't a penalty is beyond me - grabbed him round the neck, yet he gave them fouls for less than that!!

Match report: Southend United 3, Scunthorpe United 2

SOUTHEND United started life under new manager Chris Powell with a dramatic 3-2 win against Scunthorpe United at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Well, what a finish to an excellent game, given the dreadful pitch.

Thought we got it pretty much spot on, except trying to over-play a little at the back and some half clearances. Give it some welly, son!

I think we mixed a bit of directness, with some decent football.

The biggest plus point was the shooting. We tested the keeper constantly. When we got that second free-kick just after Kites had tried to curl the first one, we all said just run-up and smack the f**ker! .. Macca did and what a strike. Couple of other superb efforts from distance as well, especially Coxy's which had dip and bend on it.

A real team effort and loads of guts and determination.

Thoroughly deserved that.

Oxley 6.5 - Not quite at his best. Although he did scuff the clearance for their goal, the initial problem was that JW really should have played it back to him in the first place, but instead scooped a ball into no mans land and the break came from there.

Demetriou 6.5 - Struggled a lot with his footing, but overall did OK, considering he had Josh Morris for company.

White 7.5 - Very steady and no nonsense performance.

Turner 8 - Thought he was excellent and great to see him pop up with the winner!

Coker 7 - Had a good game, as well. Well played skipper!

Kightly 8.5 MOM - Thought he had the best game I've seen him play. His work-rate didn't go un-noticed either. Hope this is the start of him showing the class he clearly has.

Yearwood 7.5 - Thought he did well, but was a little surprised he was the sponsors MOM, I'll be honest. But for someone so young on a poor pitch, he ticked loads of boxes. Loved that driving run at the end. That's why I'd play him more in Wordy's role.

Timlin 7 - Yep, the usual committed Tims performance.

McLaughlin 8 - Excellent game and, like Kites, worked really hard.

Fortune 8.5 - Great committed performance. Showed so much strength on the ball.

Cox 8.5 - Tireless work-rate. Right at the death he was chasing back and forcing the fella to rush and scuff a cross. Shame that shot didn't go in. Really caught that sweetly.

SUB : Robinson 7 - Not really on long enough to rate.

Overall, RH was rocking.

Special mention to TBV. Absolutely superb from start to finish.

SCP got mentioned in a couple of songs, which was great to hear.

Onwards and upwards! :happy:

Back