• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Fleetwood Town

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
Finally a point on the board and someone giving it some in the technical area.

Post all your views and ratings here.

I didn’t go so I am intrigued to see how they compared to a Kevin Bond lead team?

I wasn't at the match but on BBC Essex I heard You're the voice by John Farnham ringing out at Roots Hall after the game.

A nod to our new Australian assistant player manager or terrible lapse of judgement that will surely see someone lose their job?

Last edited:
They showed some cohesion and some kind of a gameplan. Something to build on .. a starting point. We need to work on defending .. urgently. Fleetwood weren’t bad but not as good as we made them look, bit like Rochdale. Too many of our players still not at the races or unfit. Humphrys, Macca and Kiernan .. pluses for me. It showed we can be fixed but it won’t hapoen in the next few games. Crowd needs to be behind the players, think they mainly were. The relief after the 3rd goal was huge. Will help for the next home game for sure.

Much better going forward, we started very well and could easily have been 3-0 up before their equaliser.

Just as bad defensively though, and they had plenty of chances to get a fourth before our second equaliser. The new manager must get this sorted quickly or we'll be in real trouble.

An entertaining game overall and hugely relieved to finally get a point on the board. Now we just need that first win, and a clean sheet would be nice too! UTB:Happy:

People may not like or agree as we got our first point , but we were awful.
Too slow to react to anything happening around them.
Hutchinson stood and watched the same player getting the same ‘out ball’ all first half.
Do I think our defence is to blame for this season ?
On occasion yes , but by and large it’s the midfield that are woeful and get bypassed time and time again.
So again I apologise for being negative after our first point , but we are desperately poor IMO.

Support from West was superb

Paul Clark says midfielders just ball watch - never track a runner. Blackman also caught out of position leaving acres of space behind him

We definitely need some tough tacklers in midfield. That’s an urgent requirement.. it’s like midfield aren’t there and well, Blackman was well off the pace .. to say the least. I think Hutchinson maybe was scared to put his boot in. Seemed that way.

Is it our defenders or is it the midfield that exposes the defence or a combination of the 2.
I'd say a combination. True, the defence has little protection often and MF lose possession too easily, too often... but then the defenders often don't do the simple things. Not picking up a runner, out of position and leaving so much space or miss-timing tackles.

I wasn't at the match but on BBC Essex I heard You're the voice by John Farnham ringing out at Roots Hall after the game.

A nod to our new Australian assistant plate manager or terrible lapse of judgement that will surely see someone lose their job?

You’re clearly crackers, but I do enjoy your posts :Thumbs up:

Is it our defenders or is it the midfield that exposes the defence or a combination of the 2.

Good question. Watching on ifollow (with BBC Essex commentary) Paul Clark made a case that the midfield exposes our defence time and time again....with Hutchinson taking a proper shoeing for “not understanding the basics....the stuff you learn at U-12 level......” like tracking back with your man and not following the ball.

Back