• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Fleetwood Town

Really enjoyed the game, nice to have some butterflies of anticipation rather than feelings of dread.

I don't know how many times I have to say that our problems all stem from an inadequate central midfield. I know Bond was offered the chance of Timlin but didn't want him, well, if Waddock is in the role for any time then I'd be snapping his hand off to get him in and teach our CMs how to play the role. Hyam has the capability if he'd stop poncing around with his shorts rolled up and was able to stay fit, but none of the others do.

After the criticism of McLaughlin on another thread, I was delighted to see him come in with such clear determination to do well - what a huge difference he made in the 1st half. Thankfully Stevie Humphrys also looked to be at his most forceful today and the two of them, along with Elvis, were our star performers.

Kiernan and Lennon look to be our best defensive pairing, and I think generally, they did ok. People who say Harry can't play the ball with his feet should look at an excellent pass out to Ndukwu in the 2nd half, and other passes out to the wings rather than passing the ball 15 times across the pitch. The problem defensively was LB. Blackman's defensive work was dreadful, out of position so often and causing others to be pulled out of position to cover. Ox made a few great saves but still needs to be braver and to release the ball quicker.

Coxy looked a bit off the pace to me today but still seemed to be playing well with Humps, which was good as I'm sure I'd read of issues between them on here recently. Mantom is so ordinary it's untrue and I think Hamilton needs someone much stronger alongside to work with. Hutch looked a bit out of his depth.

Great to have our first point of the season, now it's time to build from that.

Oxley - 5
Bwomono - 7
Kiernan - 6
Lennon - 6
Blackman - 4
Hutchinson - 5
Hamilton - 6
Mantom - 5
McLaughlin - 8
Cox - 6
Humphrys - 8, MOTM

This bit made me LOL OBL, thanks! Good summary too.

I’ve seen enough from Humphrey’s to suggest we should be tying him down longer, a right power house and has plenty of goals in him

this shows some different angles .... and Hutchinsons "defending"

good work from the young man making it

It was in the inside left channel , maybe mistaken but pretty sure it was Cox

Yes that was Hutchinson. Isn’t that the type of creativity we all moan at not having? Actually often his best work is done from the central areas and his worst work...defending....is done when he’s 1v1 exposed out wide...

Last edited:
Actually I was very vocal pre match regarding Macca and I have to say he was excellent today. Good work rate and gave us a good balance shape.

He tired....that’s understandable he’s not played since lincoln......what I would say is fitness wise we were done defensively in wide areas where Hutchinson and Macca haven’t played for four weeks.....and Blackman had only played one or two games in total....

I’ve seen enough from Humphrey’s to suggest we should be tying him down longer, a right power house and has plenty of goals in him
Another Freddie Eastwood type forward....don't think we are yet getting the best of him with tactics .Should be left on centre line when we are defending for a quick clearance for him to chase .He has the power and pace to really cause problems. You only have to look at old clips of FE to see how effective this can be,and it also relieves pressure

Speaks volumes that after scoring three goals and getting a point against a team at the top that people are still slagging off some players. One thing I’m certain of is that every single one of them gave 100% today. A few individual mistakes but why can’t we just give them a well done for a change ?

Well it was good to get a point, however that was achieved.Thought we were lucky not to have conceded 6 or 7. For me the biggest problem like many have identified is midfield. Mantom and Hamilton had far too much ground to cover. Down our right hand side, there was always too much space between Elvis and Hutchinson. Fleetwood exploited this space constantly in the first half. Hamilton and Mantom were alert but in dealing with that problem it left us short in the middle.

The problem we have of course is that Leonard was sold as was Yearwood. neither have been replaced adequately. Hamilton shows promise and Mantom doesn't shirk. Mind was good to see Macca back and effective.

Cox was a disappointment to me, spent a lot of time waving his arms about but not much else.

The midfield isn't really balanced, there might be some merits in playing Demetriou on the right side to give us balance and width. Keeps Elvis at right back and he certainly doesn't deserve to be left out.

The players need to battle it out until January and hope we are not too far adrift. A new permanent manager will be in place and by then he will know exactly what is required and can deal with it.

Oxley. 5.
One goal down to him. 2 good saves

Elvis - 8 we are over reliant on him. He needs to add a bit of craftiness into his game.

Blackman 5.
Tired - but competent for 60 mins.

Kiernon - 8 - thought he looked like he had leadership and ability

Lennon - 6 - was keeping it simple !

Hutchinson - 5 not ready for this level. Not combative and lost his man - which cost us a goal.

Mantom 7. He is always trying to do 2 men’s work

Hamilton - 6 just struggled against a good midfield - looked lightweight in a league 1 battle

Macca - 8 - good stuff from Macca - all game offering threat, good goal and always does his defensive shift

Cox - 6. Maybe he just had an off day, maybe his pre season injury has screwed him, maybe he loved Bond, maybe he’s had enough...

Humphrys - 9.9 - this boys s diamond and proper wants it.

Goodship - 7 done his job
Demetrius 7 done his job
Ladukdu 5 - he has to do defensive

Waddock - wants it ... and has got the players believing. A lot of the fancy dan ideas are gone and the players seem to have more confidence.

Fleetwood were a good league one team and I think with some beef in midfield we will be ok..

We need to be playing Dieng Mantom Hamilton and Macca in middle ..

Hump plus one up top -,

Could be a good season if they can learn to hold a winning position
This is pretty much spot on.

Brief player ratings for me :-

Oxley - Made a couple of great saves. Could’ve pushed the shot for the second away or even held it but couldn’t blame him for 1st or 3rd in any way.

Bwomono - Gave no threat at all going forwards which is unusual but reflective of how much possession Fleetwood had. Defensively him and Hutchinson aren’t the best communicators and so make it harder for each other than necessary.

Blackman - He certainly wasn’t as bad as some are making out!! First half I thought he did well in and out of possession. He did tire but in that heat after barely any games that was to be expected. Definitely harsh to be saying he should never play again!!!

Lennon - Solid as usual, especially first half when he really had the bit between his teeth.

Kiernan - The east partner we’ve had for Lennon. He organises others and is a natural leader.

Hamilton - Definitely not the creative player some thought he was going to be. He a toiler....grafts away puts himself about a bit but is quite limited in what he offers in possession and quite naive defensively.

Mantom - I thought he did alright tbh. Especially first half. Is fitness an issue? Yes for a number of the squad imo. But he worked hard and got around the pitch in a limited way.

McLaughlin - Looked energetic, worked hard and played with a purpose. All of the things I didn’t think he’d offer!! Great free kick. Again he tired but he can be excised that as it was a result of giving all he had after a long time out.

Hutchinson - Not his natural position and he’s definitely not the best defender we have!! Wide leaves him exposed 1v1 too often....I’d like to see him in the middle where he showed two great moments linking with Cox and then Humphrys both resulting in efforts on goal. Tired (tired of saying it!!) but again he hadn’t played since Lincoln (barring 44 mins at Orient!)

Humphrys - Clearly pleased to see the back of Bond!! Still not fully fit but looked a real handful and looked very pacy in behind which threatened Fleetwood several times. Two great strikes!

Cox - Hmmmmmm.......think Dru last season...and you realise just how important a clear and healthy pre season is. He looked lacklustre and apart from the run in behind early on I can’t think of one meaningful contribution.

Subs - none made any real impact other than being fresh legs

There must be 30 comments here and on the match thread slating the players fitness.
Let's assume everyone can't be wrong, so what the hell were they doing pre-season?

Personally thought Blackman had a good game, not sure why most on here are having go, we were weak defensively all over. TBF we were better today had some fight which has clearly been missing. Macca had a great first half, Cox looked injured to me. We have a point ⚽️??

There’s only one Adam Barrett!

Pleased us fans stuck with the team. We drew this game as Fleetwood couldn’t take their chances and then made a very strange decision to hold onto their lead and sat back.

Defensively as a team awful. We do not look fit enough and our build up play is awful. When we lost posesssion our tracking back was non existent. That combined with a few players out of their depth.

That said first point on the board and bull in a China shop with no little skill Humphrey’s is becoming a cult hero!!

Now let’s get our managerial vacancy sorted!

Back