• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Fleetwood Town

From the highlights I see Hutchinson is really letting us down defensively. Obviously a lot more than just him, but really stood out for their last two goals. Positioning all over the place.

Is it our defenders or is it the midfield that exposes the defence or a combination of the 2.

Based on the game yesterday, I would say the biggest issue is the midfield no one in our midfield tracks opposition players when we are defending meaning they have free reign to run into the box unmarked.

Our defence is not great but with the non-existent midfield it makes it so much harder for the defenders.

You have to hope that organisation and fitness will improve from hereon in, but we're playing catch up with the basics and it's going to be a tough few months.

Couldn't make it today but was cheered up a bit with a point and some goals.

Goalkeeper and centre mid the big issue. How we miss the likes of Leonard and Timlin. We once had a midfield u knew would press a d press the opposition. Last two seasons it's been replaced by very poor quality. Neither goalie inspires confidence with high balls.

well, that was a whole lot better. For the first time since the Portsmouth game (Sunderland was way too nervy) I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's game!

We made some mistakes, I agree. We are by no means a finished product, and we made Fleetwood look good on occasion.we also gave 100x more commitment than we saw under kB. Most telling for me was Stephan Humphrieys interview, where he said that GW called him over to say thank you! That alone speaks volumes, and will get those players motivated, because they will feel appreciated!

Oxley 6 some decent saves, a bit of flapping. Possible could have held their second?

Elvis 7.5 played well, and has the makings of a fantastic young player. Was exposed occasionally, but I think let down more by the midfield again and Fleetwood took advantage of this. Pipped for man of the match by Humphreys!

Lennon 5 a bit anonymous

Kiernan 7 did ok I thought. I think I prefer him just in front of 2 centre backs, to utilise his vision and distribution.

Blackman 6 decent in the first half, faded in the second. Looked knackered when he came off.

Mantom 5 not one of his best games. I would rather he concentrate on his own game, and leave the captain role to Kiernan.

Hamilton 5. Tried hard, looks shot of confidence. Maybe now that will change.

Hutchinson 5 poor by his standards. He is still young and inexperienced, Fleetwood knew this and exploited his weaknesses. He will learn from yesterday.

Macca 7 looked like the player we signed several years ago. Has been out of favour for some time, but he showed quality and commitment today. Brilliantly struck free kick!

Cox 6. Not a classic Coxy performance, ran a lot and contributed more by keeping the defenders busy for Hump to do his stuff.

Humpfreys 8 MOM Looked sharp and took the fight to Fleetwood. 2 good goals, an assist by winning the other free kick. Never gave up, and secured the point for us.

Subs 6 good to see Jason back, Goodship out of position and not effective.

Let's not forget how big a game this was. Fleetwood are a very good side. We went into the game bereft of confidence and as massive underachievers. I think our season finally got started yesterday!

my take on it is this..

its the central midfield partnership that have since the start of last season and through to now been totally non existent, they neither create chance or pick their man up and stop the runs.. that in itself makes it like trying to win games with a 9 man team,Im sorry Manton is absolutely shocking.. he would be better off being a Blue Bell at half time. My only hope is that Milligan in potentially not such a ridiculous deep link role will be able to be the holding anker type player? Id that is the case we may have a chance.. I would be inclined to try Milligan and Hutchinson in the central pair, lets honestly face it they cant be worse that the current central pair.

Oxley we know is a weak minded keeper hes never going to go 'in where it hurts' and that also is a massive negative for us too. It was lovely to see us play with wingers today and actually try to use them, instead of putting 20 passes together in our own 18 yard box then losing it. Today had much more fight, and more importantly the players are speaking very positively about Waddock, I can only assume he is not Cox's first choice of manager though as I thought he was absolutely awful today, I would be surprised if he scores again for us (i'm a huge fan, but clearly something isn't right)

Is that the same 'Manton' (sic) who created the 3rd goal for Humphreys.......?

I enjoyed the game, it was a good game of football. At times we were the better team. That's not something that has happened much this season. Great to see Macca back and looking something like the player he can be. Nice free kick. Should have been two up but Humphrys shot was well saved by the keeper.

Then Fleetwood got into the game. Dreadful corner defending (again), keeper unsure (again) and its 1-1. Oxley redeemed himself somewhat with a decent double save that saved Elvis' blushes. Then came the hammer blow, distance shot, parried, 1-2. A League One keeper should really be holding them, or at least pushing them away from the goal.

Mood at half time was "we are better", but expectation was low.

Humphrys gets another a free kick. When was the last time we scored two in a game? Almost immediately, a bullet header and Fleetwood are back in it. Really, they should have gone on and won from there. They wasted a few changes, hit the post.

But ultimately it was Humphrys who did the magic. He looks likes a beast when he runs at defenders. Outpaced their man and rifled a bullet between keeper and near post (btw, we'd have crucified Oxley if he did that).

3-3. Great game. Yeah, Joey Barton has a point when he says they should have won. But they didn't. We have a point. Onwards and upwards.

Having slept on it and watched the highlights a few times I’m a lot happier. I still think Mantom and Cox should be maybe benched for a couple of games. Goodship should be given a chance in his favoured position up front as I’m pretty sure he can get goals in L1. I think the only way the likes of Macca, Kiernan (even Blackman) will get up to full fitness is to get games under their belt. I didn’t see a lack of desire yesterday. Think I’m way more optimistic now and any incoming manager would’ve seen lots to work with .. patience is the key now and getting the right manager in. Oh and keeping the masked marvel fit .. he was immense.

We'd had no luck at all so far this season, but made up for it today. From Fleetwood's point of view they conceded 3 very soft goals and but for poor finishing and some great stops from Oxley could have had 6 or 7 themselves. Plus points: Humphreys looks a real find and will worry any defence in the league. Surely the attacking set up should be him and Goodship (who should have started) up front with Cox behind them - if Cox keeps his place, he did little to justify it today. I actually think our attack is as good as anybody's, and we showed real intent today, getting at them at every opportunity instead of playing pretty pretty stuff in our own half and going nowhere. On the downside midfield is non existent and in defence it looks total confusion. It looks as if they don't know who's supposed to be doing what and communication is almost non existent. In my view we need a Ferdinand type figure who can play a sweeper type role, clear the loose ends and keep the rest organised. Also, let's have some proper full backs: too often they drift into the middle or are caught going forward. Blackman was poor all round, Elvis looks great on the ball but either goes missing at crucial moments or has wingers cruise past him like he's not there. Definitely a much improved performance up front and I'll take the point lucky or not, but boy is there work for whoever the new manager is to do. Finally, I thought the support was magnificent today from first to last; nothing short of outstanding when you think of the position we're in. Onwards and upwards.

Based on the game yesterday, I would say the biggest issue is the midfield no one in our midfield tracks opposition players when we are defending meaning they have free reign to run into the box unmarked.

Our defence is not great but with the non-existent midfield it makes it so much harder for the defenders.

This post sums things up perfectly.

Said in preseason that if Humphrys stays fit and with us he could get 30 goals for us this season. He’s already on track for over 25...
Keep it up Stephen. What a player he can be for us

It's great to be off the mark and the comments from the players afterwards hint at things moving in the right direction.

For me midfield has been our weak link since the middle of last season, what we need right now is the Dieng we had at the start of last season when he looked like he cared. Failing that maybe Milligan coming back and playing alongside Hutchinson in the middle might be worth a try with the loanee out wide.

Back