• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Fleetwood Town

I didn't attend but listened to the words of Paul Clark who, once again, is spot on with every piece of analysis.

- Their players seems to play within the spaces between our defence and midfield.
- We don't follow the man, we follow the ball.
- Our midfield do not mark goalside of the opposition. Means we are always chasing shadows.
- Blackman so far out of position on the left, no cover from Hutchinson.
- Weak from crosses. Their third goal was greeted with a "What have I said".
- Confusion as to why we play Goodship on the wing when he scores 30+ at CF.
- Our players not following on after a shot, both in attack and defence (Goal #2)

Let's not paper over the cracks, we conceded three at home again however the positives are we've scored 3, we've gained a point and it sounded like there were some signs on improvement.

Grab a result tomorrow night and Saturday and suddenly everything begins to look rosy.

I didn't attend but listened to the words of Paul Clark who, once again, is spot on with every piece of analysis.

No disrespect meant here but if you didn’t watch the game how on earth can you possibly say he was “spot on” with his assessment? Surely by only listening you are only hearing his subjective view of what happened?

- Their players seems to play within the spaces between our defence and midfield.

This is the problem with playing 442 - when will people ever see that it leaves too many gaps between the lines and out numbered in midfield?

- We don't follow the man, we follow the ball.

Granted on the 3rd goal especially but when you are outnumbered in any area you will be chasing shadows no matter what. That’s the idea of tactics and formations - you are simply trying to find / avoid, overloads in any part of the pitch.

- Our midfield do not mark goalside of the opposition. Means we are always chasing shadows.

Marking goal side isnt always possible or best. Players will try to mark the space the side of the player that allows them to be between ball and goal or the area between the “man and space”. The closer to the goal they are the tighter they need to get....but they’ll always mark space and try and travel while the ball travels to get tight.

- Blackman so far out of position on the left, no cover from Hutchinson.

Agreed. But Hutchinson was caught trying to cover and trying to do his job. Blackman should’ve actually been the player back in to block the cross but Hutchinson ended up doing it for him. The ball had actually travelled from the other side of the pitch and had therefore travelled past both our CM players!!!

- Weak from crosses. Their third goal was greeted with a "What have I said".

Unmarked CM free header...left to run from edge of box!!

- Confusion as to why we play Goodship on the wing when he scores 30+ at CF.

Because Humphrys is first choice and everyone is scared to leave out Cox!! Leave him out and lose, then prepare for backlash of leaving out our “best” player.

- Our players not following on after a shot, both in attack and defence (Goal #2)

There’s a strong argument the guy was offside...that linesman missed 2/3 blatant ones first half.

Let's not paper over the cracks, we conceded three at home again however the positives are we've scored 3, we've gained a point and it sounded like there were some signs on improvement.

Grab a result tomorrow night and Saturday and suddenly everything begins to look rosy.

Agreed

No disrespect meant here but if you didn’t watch the game how on earth can you possibly say he was “spot on” with his assessment? Surely by only listening you are only hearing his subjective view of what happened?
The majority of what was said are the issues that have plagued us all season. These aren't things that have only occurred during Saturdays match.

A STEP in the right direction was probably the best way to accurately assess Southend United’s entertaining 3-3 draw with Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

More...

Not disputing what he’s done in the past or his quality on his day.....I’m saying if you’re gonna call it as you see it, call it the same for everyone not just the easy targets.....
Oh dear, looks like I've ruffled a few feathers. I was probably overly harsh calling Hutch 'godawful' although in fairness I did say he was playing out of position; against Blackpool, where he was more central he did OK. If he bulks up a bit he will be a very useful player.

As for Cox, he's still our best player (although Humphrys is now running him very close), so he gets a bit of leeway from me, especially given he's done a lot of chasing lost causes this season and I feel sorry for him as no-one is helping him. The team as a whole needs to play much much higher up the pitch, especially in home games, and force the opposition into errors. And even then in my previous post I actually suggested dropping (or resting) Cox for the game tomorrow so there's no bias from me, nor do I attack 'easy targets' (if I did I would be panning the likes of Mantom and Oxley like everybody else seems to do).

I've actually been a very positive poster over the years and usually try and defend everyone I can but the season so far has been, er, godawful.

Another Freddie Eastwood type forward....don't think we are yet getting the best of him with tactics .Should be left on centre line when we are defending for a quick clearance for him to chase .He has the power and pace to really cause problems. You only have to look at old clips of FE to see how effective this can be,and it also relieves pressure
All we want now is another Wayne Gray to go with him! Probably Theo could have played the Wayne Gray role but he was never played to his strengths.

Back