• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Southend United 3-3 Fleetwood Town

I think you have missed the word NOT somewhere in that post......If you think that was no great celebration, you should have seen his face when Theo scored 2 v Millwall.....He must of had an uncomfortable seat.

Perhaps he was just suprised it went in-as I think we all were.After all Macca hadn't scored for a year previously.He did at least raise his arm in celebration of the goal

Perhaps he was just suprised it went in-as I think we all were.After all Macca hadn't scored for a year previously.He did at least raise his arm in celebration of the goal

What about our 3rd goal?

I wasn't surprised at Maccas goal. The lad next to me said who do you think is on this and from my seat in the East greens, I said Macca, through that big gap on the left hand post

I think you have missed the word NOT somewhere in that post......If you think that was no great celebration, you should have seen his face when Theo scored 2 v Millwall.....He must of had an uncomfortable seat.
Well spotted @rigsby. Suitably edited to fix my embarrassment.

What about our 3rd goal?

I wasn't surprised at Maccas goal. The lad next to me said who do you think is on this and from my seat in the East greens, I said Macca, through that big gap on the left hand post

I see you've missed out the second goal where SC was all over Macca celebrating.In answer to your question SC's celebration of the 3rd goal was rather similar to the first.

Personally,I don't buy into the modern trope that suggests the way a player celebrates a goal indicates the nature of his relationship with his team-mates.Incidentally, you would seem to have an agenda against some of the more established professionals at the club.Last week it was Mantom (not by name) for not doing enough to make sure that Hutch didn't get sent off at O.This week it's SC for not being fulsome enough in his goal celebrations.While I would agree with you that Mantom is not a team player (which is certainly a problem for a midfielder), I think you'll find it harder to make a case for SC being some sort of prima donna.

While I would agree with you that Mantom is not a team player (which is certainly a problem for a midfielder), I think you'll find it harder to make a case for SC being some sort of prima donna.

Id find it quite easy to make a case for both if I’m perfectly honest....along with several others

Id find it quite easy to make a case for both if I’m perfectly honest....along with several others

You wouldn't be the "lad" that Rigsby was talking to in the East Greens about the first goal by any chance? :Winking:

Ps I don't really care if you (or anyone else) thinks SC is a prima donna -as long as he does the business on the pitch.

You wouldn't be the "lad" that Rigsby was talking to in the East Greens about the first goal by any chance? :Winking:

Ps I don't really care if you (or anyone else) thinks SC is a prima donna -as long as he does the business on the pitch.

Just because someone agrees with me doesn't mean they are my 'mate'.

like me they probably don't have favourites and judge Cox the same as anyone else. Cox has yet to have a shot on target this season. His last one was probably at home to Pompey......Something you may well wish to think about before accusing other posters of having an agenda......When they are just pointing out things that some might have missed.

To give you an example and to pick up on your earlier post. Several kicks from Oxley resulted in Fleetwood CB's attempting to strangle Humprhys or Cox.....Clear fouls but our senior players never let the ref know strongly enough. In the end Cox gave up challenging and Hump was to concerned about backing in, because he wasn't getting protected. They would nip in front of him for a free header

Hamilton turned 3 times under pressure deep in our half but was grabbed and prevented form attacking the space he had created. We were denied good counter attacks by professional, not enough for a yellow, 'tactical fouls'. Did I see one of our players let the ref know what was going on....Absolutely not.

Yes people will say what did Hamilton do ? Well Fleetwood were aware of the best part of his game and made sure it didn't happen.

Result......Fleetwood getting the best from the ref 1 Southend 0

No doubt the Shrewsbury or Mk scouts watching will stick that tactic in their report.......Lets wait and see.

Last edited:
It was very interesting on MNF last night with Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher comparing successful Liverpool and Man United teams of yesteryear and today....more so Neville on Man Utd....Neville was adamant that it was the senior players and the spine of the team that carried the young lads (himself, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes etc) and that now the problem Man U have isnt the young players not being good enough it’s the senior players in the spine of the team that aren’t doing enough....

Funny that cos with us (and I know it’s league 1!!!) we allow our senior players to get away with all sorts of responsibility and then we hang out our young players as the ones to blame.....

If you get a chance go back and have a listen....it made sense to me and I could see parallels....the recording is too large to post but it’s on this podcast at 23.10mins
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-sky-sports-football-podcast/id1062532126?i=1000450030953

I see you've missed out the second goal where SC was all over Macca celebrating.In answer to your question SC's celebration of the 3rd goal was rather similar to the first.

Personally,I don't buy into the modern trope that suggests the way a player celebrates a goal indicates the nature of his relationship with his team-mates.Incidentally, you would seem to have an agenda against some of the more established professionals at the club.Last week it was Mantom (not by name) for not doing enough to make sure that Hutch didn't get sent off at O.This week it's SC for not being fulsome enough in his goal celebrations.While I would agree with you that Mantom is not a team player (which is certainly a problem for a midfielder), I think you'll find it harder to make a case for SC being some sort of prima donna.
Totally agree. You only have to look at the highlights, whether MOTD or EFL, to see that it happens in most games. Usually the nearest player celebrates with the goalscorer and maybe one or two others but some just trudge back to their own half, probably overjoyed inside but just not showing it. Or they are too knackered, like many of our players.

Just because someone agrees with me doesn't mean they are my 'mate'.

like me they probably don't have favourites and judge Cox the same as anyone else. Cox has yet to have a shot on target this season. His last one was probably at home to Pompey......Something you may well wish to think about before accusing other posters of having an agenda......When they are just pointing out things that some might have missed.

To give you an example and to pick up on your earlier post. Several kicks from Oxley resulted in Fleetwood CB's attempting to strangle Humprhys or Cox.....Clear fouls but our senior players never let the ref know strongly enough. In the end Cox gave up challenging and Hump was to concerned about backing in, because he wasn't getting protected. They would nip in front of him for a free header

Hamilton turned 3 times under pressure deep in our half but was grabbed and prevented form attacking the space he had created. We were denied good counter attacks by professional, not enough for a yellow, 'tactical fouls'. Did I see one of our players let the ref know what was going on....Absolutely not.

Yes people will say what did Hamilton do ? Well Fleetwood were aware of the best part of his game and made sure it didn't happen.

Result......Fleetwood getting the best from the ref 1 Southend 0

No doubt the Shrewsbury or Mk scouts watching will stick that tactic in their report.......Lets wait and see.
I don't think Fleetwood did anything wrong; they were just more physical and athletic and we didn't battle hard enough on some occasions. Yes, the odd tactical foul but every team does that. You mentioned the goal kicks/free-kicks aimed at Humphrys - well, I didn't see Hump challenge/jump for any of them and like I said in the match report, it's clear he has been advised not to head the ball in those types of situations.

As for Cox, he moans at the ref all the time! And sometimes needlessly. I thought the ref had a good game to be honest.

I don't think Fleetwood did anything wrong; they were just more physical and athletic and we didn't battle hard enough on some occasions. Yes, the odd tactical foul but every team does that. You mentioned the goal kicks/free-kicks aimed at Humphrys - well, I didn't see Hump challenge/jump for any of them and like I said in the match report, it's clear he has been advised not to head the ball in those types of situations.

As for Cox, he moans at the ref all the time! And sometimes needlessly. I thought the ref had a good game to be honest.

I'm not complaining about Fleetwood or the Ref. I just saying other teams 'test' the ref and play to the limit and beyond.....Where as we don't and haven't for some time.

Agree about Humprhys and headers but he did get another convenient elbow in the face on Saturday. Yet again his team mates and the fans seemed to miss it.

Agree about Cox and refs. The skill is to complain on behalf of someone else rather than bawl then out over your own perceived foul.

I'm not complaining about Fleetwood or the Ref. I just saying other teams 'test' the ref and play to the limit and beyond.....Where as we don't and haven't for some time.

Agree about Humprhys and headers but he did get another convenient elbow in the face on Saturday. Yet again his team mates and the fans seemed to miss it.

Agree about Cox and refs. The skill is to complain on behalf of someone else rather than bawl then out over your own perceived foul.

I kind of understand what you mean there @rigsby, but I can assure you that those around me (and me) in the West saw Humphrys get done and shouted some pretty outraged stuff towards the ref and the lino for missing it.

I kind of understand what you mean there @rigsby, but I can assure you that those around me (and me) in the West saw Humphrys get done and shouted some pretty outraged stuff towards the ref and the lino for missing it.

Well done those of you in the West. The problem was the same v Blackpool. They were allowed to get away with stuff, so they ended up confident enough to use an elbow.

One thing I have learnt for sure from L1, is its not always the worse football teams that get relegated its the weakest teams. I don't just mean physically I mean mentally.

In previous seasons you can spot them well before Christmas.... Crew, MK, Swindon, Bradford and Walsall etc. Looking at our team reaction to things like the very first goal conceded at home and the fact that one often becomes an even softer 2......I don't like what I see and it has nothing to do with tactics or who is playing where. You need individuals to stand up but above all you need everyone believing in the team ethos. Who ever Ron chooses that is their biggest job ahead right now.

Last edited:
Back