• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-3 Portsmouth FC

Why does anyone care if he watched the Penalty or not. I can’t believe that’s following a magnificent come back, and finishing with 5 of the U23’s on the pitch that there is a conversation on watching a penalty.

One thought, something Cox said in his interview...... If we hadn't been on TV, do you think we would have come back from 0-3 down......?

"At 3-1, I’m sure everyone’s thinking he’s got to have a go at the team at half-time but you’ve got to give them belief. I spoke to them but tried to give them belief that they can come back."

Doesn't sound like the actions of a manager that's unable to demonstrate positivity when the going gets tough to me...

And he certainly has talked about the experience our young players have been gaining, on several occasions in fact. He's made a point to single out Bishop for praise multiple times now in his post-match interviews for example.

Aren't you the same poster that said this:
"I would rather him talk about why we were 3-0 down at 72 minutes rather than be happy that we didn't concede in the final 18!"

You criticised him for trying to find positives last week but now he's not positive enough?

You are correct I am the same poster. I just don't believe that the second half performance was a result of a motivational team talk at half time. His recent pre and post match interviews have been awful to listen to. If it's not installed confidence into the listening public then how is he able to do it with the players.

Unless he's some sort of Jeykll n Hyde character

To be honest the comeback was great, but I never saw it coming. We weren’t creating loads of chances, we weren’t camped in their box.

We didn’t come out all guns blazing, and to be honest until the penalty we didn’t really create any chances.

I think it owed just as much to a Portsmouth team dropping their game and lacking in confidence than to anything Powell did at half time.

To be honest the comeback was great, but I never saw it coming. We weren’t creating loads of chances, we weren’t camped in their box.

We didn’t come out all guns blazing, and to be honest until the penalty we didn’t really create any chances.

I think it owed just as much to a Portsmouth team dropping their game and lacking in confidence than to anything Powell did at half time.
I'm so gee'd up for Accers after that @Somerset Ex-TTB, thank you.:Winking:

I'll tell you why CP didn't watch the pen. As Cox collected the ball and went to place it, CP screamed at a couple of players and made it obvious to follow up on the left hand side of the box as we looked.

If you watch the highlights you can see no one is following up on our right. Yes Pompey noticed and yes their keeper dived where CP told him......The wrong way.....

Smart move when you know which side Cox was really going.

Body language and animation, there is a time and place for it. Looks like CP got it spot on v Pompey.

All I want to hear and see him demonstrate is some positiveness when the going gets tough. Talk about the plus points in a defeat, talk about what he has learnt from blooding the younger players. Talk about the experience that these young er players are gaining in this situation. His body language and tone of voice is too often negative and that is one of the main reason why some of Powell's admirers are cooling to him now.

If he did that, he’d still have people slating him for being delusional, not caring about the result and/or having lost the plot.

He can’t win. And that’s purely down to how bad the season has been. If we were sitting in 8th right now, with an outside hope of nicking a play-off spot, this issue wouldn’t be discussed.

Tbh, I’m surprised so much importance is given to post-match interviews in football these days, as they carry no real bearing.

One thought, something Cox said in his interview...... If we hadn't been on TV, do you think we would have come back from 0-3 down......?

If you’re gunna ask that question, then you might aswell ask ‘Would the three basic errors that lead to the Pompey goals, still have been made, if we hadn’t been on TV?’

I just don't believe that the second half performance was a result of a motivational team talk at half time.

Simon Cox said otherwise.

What do you attribute it to?

His recent pre and post match interviews have been awful to listen to. If it's not installed confidence into the listening public then how is he able to do it with the players.

On Saturday, Hart was awful. Terrible in fact. He looked one of the weakest links in the team. And it’s not a one-off.

Yet, one thing I couldn’t fault him on, was his heart. The kid, despite playing atrociously, showed all the desire in the world, where others would have crumbled & shrunk back into their shells. He didn’t. And as a result, ended up involved in two of our goals. One of which, was as good a cross, as you’re ever going to see at Roots Hall.

That confidence has to come from somewhere. I’d suggest it’s his manager

I'll tell you why CP didn't watch the pen. As Cox collected the ball and went to place it, CP screamed at a couple of players and made it obvious to follow up on the left hand side of the box as we looked.

If you watch the highlights you can see no one is following up on our right. Yes Pompey noticed and yes their keeper dived where CP told him......The wrong way.....

Smart move when you know which side Cox was really going.

Body language and animation, there is a time and place for it. Looks like CP got it spot on v Pompey.

And later that night Powell parted the ocean.

Back