• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Started with a great level of intensity and high tempo which swept us into an early lead. Thought Turners goal was a tad fortuitous..player on the post??? But who cares.
2nd half Charlton came out all guns blazing and deserves there goal. We weathered the storm however and nicked a third.
On the whole we played well with what many would consider our best 11.
Coker is simply the best LB in this division very welcome comeback.
Wordsworth adds a layer of quality that is hard to deal with (on his day)
Generally some very good football played at times with only a couple of scary moments defensively.
Leonard was my MOM he elevates this team simply being on the pitch.

Probably our best performance since Blackburn. Right from the off we were up for it, which made a real change from recent performances, and kept the focus and desire until the end.

Cox and Ranger partnered up together well and we used the width a lot more, rather than hoofing it long. Solid and well organised at the back too.

Charlton are the most one man team as you'll find and can't help but feel that the likes of Reeves would have been a lot more threatening if they hadn't just passed to Holmes at every given opportunity. Their defence was as bad as ours on an off day, which is saying something.

Oxley 7 Didn't really have many saves to make but commanded his box well.
Demetriou 6 Struggled with Reeves, skinned a few times.
Turner 7.5 Strong and did well in a physical battle with Magennis. Well taken goal.
Ferdinand 7 Swept things up well.
Coker 7 Clearly still a little rusty but got better as the game went on and put some good crosses in.
Wright 7 Worked hard, very much becoming a version of Will Atkinson who runs a bit less but has a bit more quality on the ball.
Leonard 8 Holmes' worst nightmare, won every tackle. Needless yellow card put him in a tough situation with them desperately trying to get him sent off and he faded as a result.
Wordsworth 7 Some nice flicks and passes but a little more style than substance.
McLaughlin 7.5 Excelled with service to him out wide and looked to exploit the space whenever possible.
Ranger 7.5 Hardest I've seen him work and was able to play with the ball at his feet rather than hoofed to his head.
Cox 8 Further forward, more confident, poachers' finishing. More like the Cox of last season.

Subs
McGlashan 7 Pace caused problems
White - Brief but solid
Fortune - Should have scored with his only chance

Only negative was that we were a bit shell shocked when they came out all guns blazing for the second half and ended up too deep and gave them time and space in midfield and in the box when too many got sucked into closing down Holmes.

Top performance and games like that make it all the more frustrating that we can't do it consistently. If we could, play-offs would be a possibility.

I would say that’s our strongest 11 that started today,if we can get a few more games under our belts with that 11 we may climb the table slightly ......well played blues

Oxley - 7

Demitriou - 6.5
Turner - 7
Ferdinand - 7
Coker - 8

Wright - 7 (8 for first half but he was anonymous second)
Wordsworth - 7
Leonard - 9
McLaughlin - 8

Cox - 8
Ranger - 6

Subs

McGlashan - 8
White - 7

First half was fantastic, we controlled the ball and played intelligent passes instead of the rushed stuff we've often resorted to this season. Ferdinand looked the most assured I'd seen him all season and it looks like he's starting to get on the same wavelength as Turner. I'm still a bit concerned that against a pacy striker they'll struggle but they looked comfortable against a weak Charlton front line.

Second half Charlton started pressing us and we went back to panicked balls up to Ranger, who couldn't be faulted for effort but wasn't really doing anything with them. Charlton smelt blood and flooded men forwards which we didn't know how to deal with it. I was surprised it took a goal for McGlashan to come on because it was clear we were in trouble and needed some flair up front to take pressure off the back. Once he came on though the game swung back in our favour, McGlashan looked in complete control and was playing some fantastic balls in to the box and I think this caused Charlton to be a bit more cautious about committing their midfielders forward. Even before our third Charlton looked lost again and the third just killed them off.

MotM is Leonard, who looked fantastic both in attack and in defence, but Cox and Coker also had great games and McGlashan turned the game back in our favour when he came on.

Excellent first half, went back into our shells second half and let Charlton back in. We looked all over the place for a while then regained composure.

McGlashan made a difference when he came on. Could have gone down just before our third goal but kept going, put in a great cross which Wright did well to head back across goal. Ranger jumped to add weight to the attack and Cox gave a massive shout that it was his ball and he made no mistake. Good goal.

Apart from the wobbly 15 mins or so, everyone played well today. Lenny showed what we will be missing with 2 or 3 great covering tackles. I worry who will make those once he goes and we continue with Ferdy and Turner at CB. Lenny covers them so well.

Ranger looked a different player today, right up for it. Big hand in the first goal and worked well with Coxy, who also put in a great shift.

Wordy looked fully committed today but those flicks he does without looking need to be cut out.

All in all good team performance. Not sure if Wright will be fit for Saturday, hamstring I think but I'd be happy with Demi at LM and White at RB

Match report: Southend United 3, Charlton Athletic 1

SIMON Cox bagged a brace to fire Southend United to a 3-1 win against Charlton Athletic at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Oxley - 7

Demitriou - 6.5
Turner - 7
Ferdinand - 7
Coker - 8

Wright - 7 (8 for first half but he was anonymous second)
Wordsworth - 7
Leonard - 9
McLaughlin - 8

Cox - 8
Ranger - 6

Subs

McGlashan - 8
White - 7

First half was fantastic, we controlled the ball and played intelligent passes instead of the rushed stuff we've often resorted to this season. Ferdinand looked the most assured I'd seen him all season and it looks like he's starting to get on the same wavelength as Turner. I'm still a bit concerned that against a pacy striker they'll struggle but they looked comfortable against a weak Charlton front line.

Second half Charlton started pressing us and we went back to panicked balls up to Ranger, who couldn't be faulted for effort but wasn't really doing anything with them. Charlton smelt blood and flooded men forwards which we didn't know how to deal with it. I was surprised it took a goal for McGlashan to come on because it was clear we were in trouble and needed some flair up front to take pressure off the back. Once he came on though the game swung back in our favour, McGlashan looked in complete control and was playing some fantastic balls in to the box and I think this caused Charlton to be a bit more cautious about committing their midfielders forward. Even before our third Charlton looked lost again and the third just killed them off.

MotM is Leonard, who looked fantastic both in attack and in defence, but Cox and Coker also had great games and McGlashan turned the game back in our favour when he came on.

Excellent header from Wright back across goal from McGlashan cross which Cox finished well. For that header I'd give Wright an 8

What a performance , a complete surprise. First half we were all over them, Coker and McLaughlin were running the show down the left side. 3 great goals to boot.

Oxley - 7 - Didn't have too much to do, decent couple of saves in the first half , good catching from corners and solid distribution.
Demi - 6.5 - Bit dodgy here and there, skimmed a few times and Holmes was messing him up a bit, occasional good play with Wright along the right side.
Ferdinand - 6.5 - Mostly did well , really looks a bit leggy after about 60 minutes though, pretty solid in the tackles, passing a bit meh.
Coker - 9 - thank God he's back, what a difference he makes, ran his heart out, fantastic defensively and amazing chemistry with McL on the left, good passing, good crosses.
Turner - 7.5 - Had a fairly solid game, a bit slow pace wise when partnered with Ferdinand, but coped very well. Well placed headed goal that bobbled into the bottom corner from quite far out.
Wright - 7 - Worked very hard and some good play , starting to come good I think, couple of mistakes to cut out.
Leonard - 7.5 - Standard Lenny performance , good driving attacks and some decent midfield play , hindered a fair amount in the second half by the yellow card, and very scary moment where he could've been sent off but got a talking to.
Wordsworth - 6.5 - Always looks a bit too casual to me, has a go at ranger for not running after anything but a bit pot kettle black. Some good passes but agree with above - a bit more style over substance.
McLaughlin - 8.5 - Ran the show down the left with Coker, some great crosses and a couple of drives into the box and shots. A few sliced crosses losing him that .5 of a rating. Tried very hard and put an admirable amount of effort in.
Cox - 9 - Best I've seen him play for a long time , 2 very well taken goals (the second a beautifully wound up volley) being in the right place at the right time , definitely playing for the team and never gave up despite their centre backs climbing all over him.
Ranger - 6.5 - Personally thought he looked a bit lazy and unmotivated running wise, however consistently caused trouble in the air , just his flicks on never really came to anything , shows little glimpses of skill here and there but I thought he should've come off a lot earlier for MAF. Had a decent headed chance that flew over.

Subs:
Mcglashan - 8 - Initial thought was that brown had made a very strange substitution when the midfield and defense were looking a bit dodgy, but came on and made an immediate difference , good pace and foul drawing , and caused their full backs problems on both sides a few times.
MAF - 6.5 - Should've been on a bit earlier and didn't really have much to do besides a bit of corner hold up play , flashed a half volley over the bar towards the end that you'd like to think a player of his supposed quality would at least hit the target.
White - 7 - Not a lot of time on the pitch but did what needed to be done.

Brown - 7 - Solid team selection and made sure the team capitalised on Charltons poor first half , made sure we didn't sit back on the 2-1 ( in which case we probably would have drawn) , so fair play to him , given himself a final chance of redemption in my eyes, transfer window is looking very very important.
Ref - 6.5 - He was okay , quite fair but lost control a couple of times , including a silly argument over which way a drop ball would be kicked. Missed a lot of blatant pushes , shoves and elbows but fairly standard for league 1
Pitch - 1 - The North-West corner is going to need some serious work, huge clumps coming up which messed their defence and our attack up more than once , won't be long until a key player breaks their ankle from slipping on it , not impressed.

Hopefully this is the start of the turn around we so desperately need ! Saying that this is Southend so we'll probably get thumped on Saturday

We today looked, unlike we have recently, a team who were fighting for their manager. Brilliant result. Charlton were very poor barring Holmes who terrified me every time he picked the ball up. The group of morons they bring along every visit in the away end always provide light entertainment.

oxley 8- terrific today, never fear pass backs with him as his kicking is brilliant. Commanded area well.
Demi 6.5- tough day at the office against possibly the best player in the league, did Ok.
Turner 7.5- first header from a set piece in god knows how long, brilliant header and dealt with Magennis well.
Ferdinand 7- distribution sometimes off but fairly comfortable today.
Coker 8- Couldn’t tell you anything their right winger did, a threat going forward
Wright 8.5- Brilliant in the first half, best I’ve seen him play and offered good cover for demi against Holmes in the second half.
Leonard 7.5- played well going forward and defensively, silly yellow card meant he couldn’t be as effective in the final knockings.
Wordsworth 7.5- haven’t been his biggest fan of late but put a shift in, got stuck in, and kept the ball well.
Mclaughlin 7- works tirelessly but his end product has to improve
Cox 9- 2 goals and was still running himself into the ground to apply pressure at 3-1
Ranger 7- Got a bit lost today, worked hard but didn’t hold the ball up enough.

Subs all did a job when called upon.

Sense of relief, feels good. That's why I'm not worried about us going down. We have the potential of a good team, but don't show it on a regular bases. Still think the play-off are a stretch too far this season. However, would love to be proven wrong. COYB

It's Boxing Day, we've just won 3-1 against Charlton Athletic complete with Ricky Holmes and a pretty buoyant home crowd thrown in. Nile Ranger probably had the best game I've seen from him this season, Coxy found his scoring boots and Lendog showed once again why Sheffield United so desperately want to sign him . I had this down as a home win with the wild card in the prediction league and I also got a parking spot at the top of MacDonald Avenue. Come on, what's not to like?

Not sure if i'm posting on the correct thread as this is neither a review or reaction.

But its not negative:thumbsup:.

Apparently this was our sixth consecutive win on Boxing Day.

This is Boxing Day isn't it... :winking:

Oxley 7.5 - solid again
Demi 7 - good
Turner 7.5 - reads the game well and chipped in with a goal
Anton 7 - ok game today
Coker 7.5 class left back
mclaughlin - 7 had a busy game
Leonard - 8 controlled game in first half, once booked was a little scared to make his normal tackles
Woody - 5 not the same player at the moment, mostly a passenger today
Wright - 7.5 had a good game, played some lovely passes first half, should be in the middle with Leonard
Cox - 8.5 loads of effort closing players down and 2 goals
Ranger - 6.5 won a few headers but still too lazy

subs 6

First 20 we were brilliant. The tempo and pressure was amazing and Charlton couldn't cope with it. It wasn't sustainable but no doubt that gave us the well deserved 2-0 lead which could of even been 4 or 5

That's a bit harsh ,I thoght ne worked his socks off today ,don't forget he's was sick earlier in the week & no pre season T123

Just what we needed an all round team performance with the players showing the effort and desire which has been missing.Best I've seen Wright play and Wordsworth back to his best and with Cox my mom.
Well done all the team ....now let's go on a run

Back