• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cant be too critical after snatching a point from the jaws of defeat but Tilson does frustrate one at times. Why put Scannell on as centre forward actually felt sorry for the guy he is a winger for f sake stick hrk or even walker up there and stick scannell on the wing to run at a tired defence wasted up front

I can never understand how we can fail to kill teams off and invite the opposition onto us.

Fantastic ball in from Harding for Clarke to get his head on (with the goalie flapping like an idiot) Then Laurent putting us 2-0 up shortly after I thought we were going to win 4 or 5-0.

I didn't really have a decent view of their first goal, did it take a deflection ?

I could see the equiliser coming, Not quite sure how Perkins was allowed to run across the face of the box and through the whole of our defence.

After going 3-2 down on our second half performance I really couldn't see us getting anything from the game.

But we never gave up and kept the pressure on, Thought Federici was gunna score with that header.

Thought the ref was going to blow up at any second but we force another corner, bit of a scramble but when I saw the ball hit the net fair to say I went a bit mental. Most of the people who sit around me had left so had some random bloke jumping on me.

My Ratings:

Federici 7 - Didn't think he had much chance for any of the goals, distribution was good as always.
Francis 6.5 - Slightly better performance today, looked a little bit unsettled at the start of the second half having to switch to Left Back
Barrett 8 - Solid performance, made two fantastic blocks much like Tuesday.
Clarke 8 - Much the same as Barrett, Some of his distribution was better and a good header to put us infront.
Harding 7 - Brilliant delivery for Clarke's goal and was heading a lot more out of defence. I'm guessing he got a knock ???
Robson - Kanu 6.5 - Dissapointed with him today, kept falling over, had a few good bursts down the left but not enough end product.
Sawyer 7 - Usual performance, got himself stuck in and set up a few attacks.
CHRISTOPHE 8.5 MOM- Fantastic performance from him today, does the simple things well and looks really composed on the ball and he wants to stay here.
Betsy 6.5 - Much the same as Kanu, couldn't seem to keep his balance, needs to believe in himself more.
Revell 8 - Never stops working, run himself into the ground again. Won his flick on's well and was pulling out a few skills, He's a work horse (pardon the pun)
Laurent 7.5 - Good finish, was really impressed with him again, maybe looked a little bit tired from Tuesday night, His English is coming along nicely after calling the lino a "F**king Prick"

Sankofa 6 - Done a steady job
McCormack - Didn't have a chance to make an impact.
Scannell - Did he touch the ball ?

good review

Hi chaps,

Was a decent game - did worry at 0-2 and where the game was going, but it was important we got one back before half time and then I think we had the better of the second half.

A stonking derby game, exactly what they should be like and it's fair to say the last four or five games between the two teams have been pretty eventful!

I don't think it was tiredness/fatigue that caused us to falter from 30 mins onwards, it was us getting complacent. Once we took our foot off the gas, we struggled to get going again and were faced with a team gaining confidence with every moment passing by.

Fed - 7 - Couldn't do anything for any of the goals.
Francis - 5 - Needs to wake up
Clarke - 8 - Quality
Barrett - 7 - Done well with a couple of blocks but gave away a needless freekick for their goal. Why go in to cuddle the opposition?
Harding - 6 - Done well until going off injured
Betsy - 5 - Done very little
Christophe - 7 - Got in the way
Sawyer - 7 - First 90 mins for the club :clap: and played well
HRK - 5 - Didn't really have the beating of his man whatsoever
Revell - 5.5 - Done little and never looked like scoring today
Laurent - 7 - They seemed determined to kick him in the first 15 mins but he didn't react to it and played well though again faded

Subs
Sankofa - 5 - Not a fan of his at the moment and he again looked poor
Macca - 6 - Bit of energy to the midfield but gave the ball away too much
Scannell - 5 - Kick in the teeth for Walker that Tilly would rather play this lad out of position than bring Walker on. Surely he's a winger?

.............joy!................elation!....................................................concern!.......
...........................................................................disappointment..................
.....despair!............................relief!!!!!!

Ferderci 7 - Looked good and wanst at fault for goals

Francis 6 - Looked uncomforable and kicking was a bit off

Clarke - 7 Not a bad performance looked a bit uncomfortable

Barret -7 Same as Clarke

Harding - 8 Passig was good and looked so much better with him

Besty - 7 Made a few good runs but crossing let him dow

Christophe -7 Did what he had to do and did it well. MOM

Sawyer - 7 Made a few good passes and looked good

Kanu - 6 Crossing was off

Laurent - 6 Faded and made some poor passes but looked good when he had the ball

Revell - 7 Made a great tackle to win the ball back and work effort was good.

Sano - 6 Looked good in parts but poor in others

Scannel - 6 Made a few passes

Macca - 4 Not much time to play and missed a couple of chances.

Last edited:
Here are my two pennys worth -

Feds - 8 - Very solid and couldnt do anything about the goals
Franny - 7 - Think he is starting to play himself back into form but he wasnt great on the left in the 2nd half.
Clarkey - 9 - Great performace. Won most of what was in the air and ended the game with a goal amd an assist
Barrett - 7 - Gave away stupid free kick for the 1st goal and didnt really look comfortable against the two big guys for Col U
Betsy - 6.5 - Ok but didnt do anything special and gave the ball away in silly places
Christophe - 8.5 - Thought he was excellent. Stopped so many attacks and his touch is brilliant.
Sawyer - 7.5 - Worked very hard and defended a bit as well when he could
HRK - 7 - Did a few good things but i dont think he is on form atm?
Revell - 7.5 - Worked hard and won some of the headers but just not sure about him tbh
Laurent - 7.5 - Few good turns and has got a turn of pace. Had a couple of good efforts. Not as gd as tuesday

the shrimper truth - the local charity match

poor old Colchester turned up at a proper football ground and Southend United starting playing football and scored two goals.

Colchester United spent the firdt 30 minutes kicking the players in Blue shirts and lined up in turn to whack Lauren - the pitiful ref had decided the low standard Col U boys deserved a bit of of leeway ...

worse still Southend decided they would play a hit the front men quickly ball to the tall Revell and Lauren meaning that the opposition kept getting possession back .... and Harding had gone meaning we off balance at the back. Of course to keep it interesting we had given them a freak goal before half time BUT it was a stupid free kick to concede - wasn't it Barratt ?

So we saw how hard Col U had been practising passing while the SUFC players wasted the ball with the early ball forward ......

it all goes tits up ..... 2 -3

WHY Scannell ? Lauren looked lethal on the floor and we played it to Revells head .... and when we want to hit them on the break instead of pace of Walker up front .....or HRK up front and get Grant in midfield ..... we get Mr. Unproven who can't contibute to the game...... ok he might get a run at them but he doesn't close down or get after it ....

funny old world the squad looks strong except across the back but its a lousy two points to drop and an opporunity missed and thats slack ... should have kept playing and and finished it .. I think the mangement called the change in style of play and thats what i think screwed it ....

I'd agree with Stevie G G G, not tiredness imo, but complacency cost us today. We sat back at 2 up rode our luck, and when it finally ran out, with the deflected free kick, Col U had all the momentum and no-one in a Blue shirt was able to step up to the levels required to boss the game again.

The ball was like a hot potato and no-one wanted to put their foot on it and play the easy ball. Too much head down football today. Kanu and Betsey were anonomous and the front two had little or no quality service so they were fighting for scraps for the best part of an hour.

Harding's forced withdrawal from the game, obviously didn't help, but once again our glass like defensive cover was exposed, and this must be sorted out if we are to be serious challengers for promotion this season.

My Ratings:

Feds: 6

Francis: 6

Barrett 6

Clarke: 6

Harding 6

Betsey: 5

Kanu: 4

Christophe: 6

Sawyer: 6

Laurent: 6

Revell: 6

Subs:

Sankofa: 5
McCormack: 6
Scannell: 6

I don't do .5's and imo, no-one was better than average for the game today.

In the end the point was a bonus.

Even though im disappointed with us letting a 2 goal lead go, the way we silenced those imbreds at the end was fantastic up the blues!!!!

The rain spoilt that game massively, the first 20 mins we were fantastic, but the rain seemed to be getting harder and we seemed to be getting weaker. At least we didn't lose in the end :)

Federici - 7 - For a game in which he conceded 3 goals he didn't have much to do.
Francis - 6.5 - Improved and tried hard when moved to leftback, still not good enough
Harding - 7 - Was doing well until he got injured
Barrett - 8 MOM - Blood & Guts performance and some good challenges
Clarke - 7 - Decent, couldn't fault his commitment
Christophe - 7 - Another decent performance, got stuck in but needed to put his foot on it
Sawyer - 6.5 - Looked good in flashes but he got bullied by two small col ewe mids.
Kanu - 4 - Great in the first 20 mins, then went AWOL no idea how he didn't get subbed.
Betsy - 6 - Not his best performance but kept on going and doing his best.
Revell - 6 - Looked tired after his great performance midweek, no threat, still did his damndest though.
Laurent - 7 - Looked tired aswell, but still looked a threat, shouldn't have been subbed.

Sankofa - 7 - Looked solid when he came on at RB
Macca - 5 - He hasn't had much game time but he doesn't look half the player he was, hope it's temporary.
Scannell - 5 - tries bless him, but he's a winger surely? felt sorry for him.

Scannell isn't a striker, I know Walker has his knockers but surely he would have been the better substitute!

Great end to a strange game. Two footballing teams kept the ball in the air in dodgy conditions. After going two down, Col Ewe changed tactics, moving Yeates further forward (we couldn't cope with him) and bullied us.

Yes, Clarke scored a goal and assist for the second, a couple of good headers and tackles, but his distribution was comical and his and Barretts defending for the 3rd goal was so bad it was horrible to watch..There seemed too much half hearted efforts at clearing the ball all game from nearly the whole team, Revell and Christophe aside....Revs really does put 150% into everything and Christophe does the simple easy things and breaks up play so often!

I think some people are forgetting the awful conditions today, it certainly didn't suit a lot of our players. Same for both sides yes but I believe we were more affected than them, they're a more direct side than we are. Personally I think on a decent pitch we would probably have won the game today. Laurent I thought did well considering the conditions, it obviously wasn't suited to someone of his attributes today.

How the **** can Clarke be man of the match?

He twice gifted Col Ewe the ball inside OUR penalty area, plus got beaten inside his own 6 yard box. What bloody game are you lot watching?

Yes well done to both sides for the effort they put him in very heavy conditions, we found it tough walking back to the car after the game 15 minutes away :)

I think some people are forgetting the awful conditions today, it certainly didn't suit a lot of our players. Same for both sides yes but I believe we were more affected than them, they're a more direct side than we are. Personally I think on a decent pitch we would probably have won the game today. Laurent I thought did well considering the conditions, it obviously wasn't suited to someone of his attributes today.

I indicated my concern before the match started about the prevailing conditions and the effect it would have on our style of football. I think that, combined with the tiredness from Tuesday night, didn't help the cause. Let's all hope that we don't have a long wet winter.

Back