• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How the **** can Clarke be man of the match?

He twice gifted Col Ewe the ball inside OUR penalty area, plus got beaten inside his own 6 yard box. What bloody game are you lot watching?
Very happy with the point in the end. Got to say thats another gamethat we have conceded 3 goals. Think thats 24 now i think, at this rate kiss goodby to going up,as our total against is going to be about 70 plus. Unless we can score, say 80 plus, or cut down on our goals against, we have no chance.

How the **** can Clarke be man of the match?

He twice gifted Col Ewe the ball inside OUR penalty area, plus got beaten inside his own 6 yard box. What bloody game are you lot watching?
i have to say I waswatching the same game as you, neither centre back could deal with the size of the Col Ewe forwards, I know the conditions were bad but noone could get the ball out of our box. Clarke distribution was awful once again.

I think some people are forgetting the awful conditions today, it certainly didn't suit a lot of our players. Same for both sides yes but I believe we were more affected than them, they're a more direct side than we are. Personally I think on a decent pitch we would probably have won the game today. Laurent I thought did well considering the conditions, it obviously wasn't suited to someone of his attributes today.

Did you really see them as a 'more direct' side than us? I got the impression that we were playing the route 1 stuff and they were keeping it on the floor.

I think some people are forgetting the awful conditions today, it certainly didn't suit a lot of our players. Same for both sides yes but I believe we were more affected than them, they're a more direct side than we are. Personally I think on a decent pitch we would probably have won the game today. Laurent I thought did well considering the conditions, it obviously wasn't suited to someone of his attributes today.

Conditions were dreadful and definitely had an effect on our players, it wasn't just the driving rain but also the wind. You know, I was having a bit of a ponder about our seeming inability to be able to clear our lines at the back and was trying to work out exactly why it seems to be a major issue for us this season. My conclusion is that we try and play it around too much, now I'm not really a big fan of just hoofing it but in thinking back to Maher, Bailey and Macca's roles last year did they not often get stuck in and do just that? Ok, maybe it was hoofing with a bit of purpose, like towards Gower, but I'm sure Bailey and Maher in particular used to do this often. I think that's where Sawyer and Christophe have a little element missing from their play.

Kanu's attempted clearance in the 2nd half near the touchline was laughable, swung a leg and totally missed the ball!!! Quality comedy!

Colchester%28H%29.jpg

If it can ever really be said that we scored (twice!) too early, then it could be said about this one.

After the midweek heroics against Leeds, it was always going to be difficult to raise ourselves a second time in such quick succession. With the visiting Ewes enjoying a rest during the week due to their re-arranged fixture, our two-nil lead was certainly welcomed but, in truth, it threw down the gauntlet and brought with it a desperate onslaught for the rest of the match that our weary legs couldn't cope with.

In the opening 25 minutes, our football was sublime and our finishing exact. Although the small team from up the road had clearly done their homework on him from what someone saw on Tuesday, Laurent started in the same form he'd displayed against the big team from up North. Like Leeds, Colchester couldn't live with him. Unlike Leeds they sought to kick lumps out of him from the start.

For the remaining 75 minutes, Colchester looked like a side who'd won their last game 5-0. We found it difficult to cope. Goals change games and it was definitely true here. Our first put the Ewes firmly onto the back-foot and our second pushed them even further back onto it. We looked as if we'd score from every attack, yet a rare forage into Southend territory led to a free-kick as Barrett handled his man a little too much for the referee's liking. One deflected free-kick past Federici later and it was backs to the wall for almost the rest of the game.

The Col U fans were resurgent and so were their team. After the humiliating opening, they now wanted it more. They were fresher and they were hungrier. And with Harding now off the pitch due to injury, they had the edge over our now less-confident defence. We still had the lead but the pendulum had swung firmly for Colchester. Gradually their dominance paid dividends and they claimed a second on 71 minutes and a third with just 9 minutes left of normal time on the clock.

As Blues sought in vain to find the equaliser, our lack of attacking options (with Barnard and Freedman injured) saw Peter Clarke join Scannell and Revell in attack. Even Federici got his head on a well-placed corner as we tried to find a way back.

Five minutes into injury time, many Blues fans left the ground (shame on you!!) and even the die-hard fans had conceded the game. Colchester taunted the Blue Voice. Federici moved upfield again in hope and the clock ticked over into the 95th minute. It was over now all bar the shouting. And then suddenly we have a corner. Adam Barrett has a shot and it's pinball in the box. And then finally, with almost the last kick of the game, Christophe finds himself on the end of it to bundle it home from close range. It's three apiece. A fat lady is singing.

"It's all gone quiet over there!"

Nice report- thanks, it felt like I was there; stuck in the far West at work (on call) instead...

Just a thought, how would it have been to have had Furlong on the bench, would a player of his experience have been a better bet to bring on than Scannell? He might have had a bit better idea how to play that type of situation.

come on 3-3 aint bad at least weteam did not lose but i hate col u such a dirty

At 2-0 and terrorising their defence with every attack the game should have been won.

Usual tactic of defending a lead seemed to be employed too early.

Wicked deflected and lucky goal gave them the lifeline they needed. Without it they are sunk.

Harding unable to appear for 2nd half, the continuation of inviting them on, after failing ourselves to get the third and decisive goal, with I think a degree of effects of two big games in four days, combined to bring about near dissaster.

We have to learn to close games down by keeping control of the ball for long spells without necessarily over committing and demoralising opponents by simple passing and moving without necessarily going anywhere.

Passing them into submission might have been a good option by boring sideways and backward passes. Maher/McCormack style and control from the past was sadly missing when most needed.

Returning the ball by the long hoof over used yesterday and encouraged them to believe the game was still winnable and a great effort from them nearly paid off.

To have got out of jail ourselves was a minor miracle and so pleasing that all those defeatist early leavers probably missed.

That never say die attitude should hold us in good stead and 4 points from six in these two crucial games must be considerded a very good return.

Last edited:
Did you really see them as a 'more direct' side than us? I got the impression that we were playing the route 1 stuff and they were keeping it on the floor.

Definitely thought they were more direct than we were and the conditions were far more suited to a direct style of play.

Very happy with the point in the end. Got to say thats another gamethat we have conceded 3 goals. Think thats 24 now i think, at this rate kiss goodby to going up,as our total against is going to be about 70 plus. Unless we can score, say 80 plus, or cut down on our goals against, we have no chance.

The defence is a problem but prior to yesterday we had the best home defensive record in the division. The trouble is that we've got the third worst away record.

McCormack / - Helped steady the ship slightly and could possibly have been brought on sooner. Right wing though Tilly? Really?

For me, the issue isn't that Tilly put McCormack on the right wing, it was that he did it half an hour, and two goals conceeded, after he should have done. We were crying out for a third central midfielder to be in there offering us something more than the two passengers we were carrying in the wide positions.

For me, the issue isn't that Tilly put McCormack on the right wing, it was that he did it half an hour, and two goals conceeded, after he should have done. We were crying out for a third central midfielder to be in there offering us something more than the two passengers we were carrying in the wide positions.

Beefy, think I've said that here, there and everywhere. Game was crying out for some stability and grit in midfield, much as I appreciate what Sawyer and Christophe have brought to us, it was Macca we needed - he was whistling to Federici to get his attention and jumping up and down like a loon for a quick ball out to the wing which never came. Federici kept looking for Betsy, don't think he quite appreciates Macca's determination!

Can't be @rsed to plough through all these threads but we were ferking awful. I was expecting fireworks from Laurent - ok one goal, but anonymous for the rest of the match except when he went for a comedy tumble when Gerkin was no where near him.

Maybe it was the weather or the come down after Tuesday but if the scum had numerous chances that they couldn't finish and we were lucky to get a point.

Strange substitutions from Tilly as usual. Still, rollercoaster of a day.

Haven't read anyone elses yet so quite interesting to see aftewards

Frederici 7.5
Francis 7
Harding 8
Barrett 7.5
Clarke 8
Sawyer 7
Christophe 7.5
Betsy 7.5
Robson-Kanu 7.5
Laurant 7
Revell 8.5 MOM

Subs
Sankofa 7.5
Macca 7.5
Scannell 6

Frederici 7.5
Francis 7
Harding 8
Barrett 7.5
Clarke 8
Sawyer 7
Christophe 7.5
Betsy 7.5
Robson-Kanu 7.5
Laurant 7
Revell 8.5 MOM

Subs
Sankofa 7.5
Macca 7.5
Scannell 6

Sankofa 7.5 Oh dear, more like 4.5
Watching it again on the championship, he missed a tackle and didn't clear the ball for their second and let the player he was marking jump alone for their third goal.

Frederici 7.5
Francis 7
Harding 8
Barrett 7.5
Clarke 8
Sawyer 7
Christophe 7.5
Betsy 7.5
Robson-Kanu 7.5
Laurant 7
Revell 8.5 MOM

Subs
Sankofa 7.5
Macca 7.5
Scannell 6

What game was you watching? We were ****e for 70 minutes!

Back