• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend_aussies

I come from a land down under
Southend United just held a closed trial match against Leyton Orient. The score ended in a 3-3 draw.

From what I've heard it contained a fair few trialists.

Chris Phillips just tweeted that Mark Carrington, Dan Fitchett and Joshua Rees were the three goalscorers.

More info when it becomes available.

They can't be as good as what we already have if they only drew with Orient :winking:

Quick Google search:

Dan Fitchett - former Wycombe player, now at Salisbury. 22 year old forward. Scored 18 last season in the Conference South.

Joshua Rees - recognise the name and was at Brentford on loan last season and been linked with Middlesbrough, but surely can't be him. Former Arsenal youth player.

Rees and Fitchett look interesting. The former released by Arsenal (loaned to Brentford) ........and early last year being courted by Middlesborough.......local lad. Fitchett is also young and playing with Salisbury.

This is how Arsenal wrote up Johua Rees on the site (written last year):
After enduring an injury hit start to the season that meant that he didn’t step onto the pitch until November, promising midfielder Josh Rees has certainly made up for lost time.

The 18 year old, who is renowned for his hard-working nature, impressive passing ability and composure on the ball, has been in explosive form since his return, finding the net 5 times in 13 appearances for the under-18s, which included four goals in as many games recently, whilst also re-establishing himself in the Reserve set-up, having broken into Neil Banfield’s side late last season.
Awarded a professional contract last September, Rees is a versatile player who until this season had tended to operate primarily on the right wing, but has recently been deployed in a deeper midfield role, forging a good partnership with Jordan Wynter.
A key component of the current under-18 side, his enthusiasm for the game is evidenced by his commendable effort in training, and he was rewarded with his first Reserve start of the campaign last week, having previously made seven substitute appearances at that level.
Next season he should push on to become a Reserve regular and, should he carry on his current rate of progression, it may not be too long before a Carling Cup cameo beckons.

Rees was at Southend High School for Boys, lives in Hadleigh and was highly rated by Arsenal and made a number of appearances in the reserves for them, and was probably quite unfortunate to be released. Recently been on trial at Cheltenham who really liked the look of him, so surprised he didn't sign on there, think he had a trial at a SPL club as well.

Lee Sawyer mark ll..........................but with his head screwed on the right way?
Quite similar style of play, likes to get forward, making runs forward after picking the ball up from deep but can also sit deep and pick some good passes, and got a good header and a good finish on him as well.

All very interesting - it seems that we (the club) may be getting towards having the basis of a reasonable side and we are now seeing some more trialists coming through.

I still think the strike force and (good quality) cover are matters to be finessed ......... but we (along with every other team in the league) are making progress.

I feel quite cheered up by this. There was a moment when it was believed that PB was going to sign up a lot of veteran chronies..........the players suggested here are not at all that, quite the opposite. It also perhaps suggests that PB is looking to build a side and not create a quick fix. I'm starting to find this far more interesting, athough, of course................. no one has signed yet.

I feel quite cheered up by this. There was a moment when it was believed that PB was going to sign up a lot of veteran chronies..........the players suggested here are not at all that, quite the opposite. It also perhaps suggests that PB is looking to build a side and not create a quick fix. I'm starting to find this far more interesting, athough, of course................. no one has signed yet.

Yes. Agree - well said.

Well apart from the players we have signed of course....

Given that Clifford is a under 21, 19 and 17 national for Ireland he may be a good signing. Depending on the side Orient provided it sounds like a decent performance as well. Hope a few are given a go against QPR and West Ham.

Back