• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I make that two MK Dons managers who have been dismissed after losing to us! :thumbsup:

Brilliant to see another 4-0 home victory. So happy for Theo, amazing what a bit of confidence can do. Also you have to give him a lot of credit for staying here when he could have left. Yesterday was a massive pay off for him. Hope he keeps his place in the side now.
Thought Fourtune had a good game to, unlucky not to get a goal as well.
thought everyone had a good game, especially Dru who is now fast becoming our best player. I think we will hold onto him for another season at least , if he continues like this could leave for big money.
World class double save at end from the Ox, need to keep hold of him.
Hoping Anton isn’t to bad, cause I’m not sure how solid we will be with Harry at back, saying that, our Youth players have really performed well on the whole. Think we really have a great youth set up here, the more we use that the more successful as a club we will be.
lets enjoy this win, who knows what team will turn up next match. One thing is for sure though, CP is getting some amazing results and I think on the whole things are looking up from where we were when PB left.

It's a funny old game isn't it. Last Saturday after the Oxford capitulation the side were rightly slaughtered on here and those that doubted Chrris Powell's tactics and team selection were starting to publically voice their concern. What a difference a week and a good result makes eh?

He did revert back to 4-4-2 yesterday, though, so that appeased a few views, including mine.

Interestingly, in the pre-match radio interview with Nick, he alluded to the fact that 4-4-2 was his system of choice, but that he had given 4-5-1 another week, as the match was away again. I can see him sticking with 4-4-2 now for the reminder of the season.

It's a funny old game isn't it. Last Saturday after the Oxford capitulation the side were rightly slaughtered on here and those that doubted Chrris Powell's tactics and team selection were starting to publically voice their concern. What a difference a week and a good result makes eh?

Powell's home record is fantastic, I think he's being too cautious in away matches though which is why we aren't doing well on our travels. Maybe if he signs some quality at the back for next season his defensive away tactics will work out for us but our current crop of players aren't particularly great at defending, so sitting back just invites the opposition to throw men forward, at which point our defensive frailties when under pressure are exposed.

The teams that do well very often use the fewest number of players (at our level) and keep the same team, formation and tactics week in week out, home and away.
Finding that team/match day squad & keeping it is the magic.

First game for me for a long time (Formally BB Blue), being back at the Hall after so long, well I'M still buzzing! . So back in Essex for a while my uncle bought us tickets for this game. Sunshine and a brilliant 4-0 win against a team I despise. No marks out of 10 as I think they all deserved it.

As I said in another thread Dru was joint MOM with Theo. So pleased for Theo, but that kid Dru was awesome. We got the makings of a great team here and with CP I think we could go up next year. The only down side was Ferdinand wasn't fit from the start as he was holding his legs and looked in pain, thought he would have come of early.

Also special mentions to Mclaughlin who look great, Timiln who with Dru bossed the Midfield. Fortune did the job which I think he has done all season. Superb! I think CP got them (Dons) ,into a false sense of security that for the the first 10 mins that we were just gonna play hoof ball to Fortune all game. I'M hoping that CP actually said to the players give Franchise 10mins of this,then lets just start playing it along the ground, and show em what we can really do!

Out of many keepers I've seen at Southend I think that Mr Oxlely has the best and longest kick of any of them and now with the 2 world class saves at the end, well i've read many shrimperzone community of his performances this season and I can see why.

Finally how lucky was I there be in the presence of such legends as Tilly and crew. Ricky Otto esp. That player made me watch Southend at any price. Made many a right back have a nervous breakdown!! Till the next time anyway folks.

Oxley 8 - As others have said, not much to do for the most part, what a double save at the end though!

Demetriou 7 - Untroubled defensively, tried to get forward when he could.
Ferdinand 7 - Good performance, CP has got him playing much more 'safety first' than PB did. If in doubt whack it out!
White 7 - Solid performance, only outpaced on one occasion first half when their striker shot wide.
Bwomono 7 - I was a little worried when I saw he was starting at LB, I assumed Demi would switch sides. However I shouldn't have been concerned. Bar one terrible pass in the first half, Elvis produced an assured display. He got forward well too, and won the free kick where Macca scored.

Mclaughlin 7 - God display, capped by a nice goal.
Yearwood 8 - Made a slow start but after a fantastic assist for our first he was superb. Oozes class, I think it's inevitable he'll play at a higher level, I hope we keep him for next season at least.
Timlin 6 - Passing was largely abysmal. Stupid yellow card late on, it was comical but I doubt CP saw the funny side. Would be a five but for his part in the second goal.
Kightey 6 - Had a bit of an off day, good free kick for Macca's goal though.

Fortune 6 - Worked hard as always but a little below his best.
Robinson 9 MOM - "3 tap ins :facepalm:" Let's give credit where it's due. I saw two great poachers finishes plus a fantastic second that would be in my top 3 goals of the season.

Subs
Harrison 7 - Best performance for a while, still seems like he's struggling with the physicality of League 1.
Kyprianou 6 - Did fine and played a part in the final goal.
McGlashan 6 - One great peace if skill got him free, predictably followed up by a poor final ball.

I enjoyed seeing Powell's pals before the game. Seeing some of my childhood heroes (and Julian Hails) was great :thumbsup: Is it true that Paul Byrne was supposed to attend too? Still in the pub would be my guess :sad:

Theo

A bit later than usual.

Two back to back 4-0 home wins. When we are good, we are very good. Dons were dreadful. Awful. No surprise the manager got the boot on the back of that. They will be going down, and personally, I am pleased we hammered a nail in the coffin for them.

However, I am more than pleased that a much vilified player put in performance of the season. I have to say I was surprised to see Theo started ahead of Cox, but I need not have worried. He was superb. Right place at the right time, exactly where a forward should be to slot home his first. However, much credit goes to Dru for a driving run through two defenders and a cracking shot the keeper could only parry. Up until then, the game had been pretty much full of nothing, but from then on it was just a case of "how many". The second goal had everything. Some sumptuous passing, setting up Theo for a deft chip into the net. Superb. Goal of the season? (gwon, name a better one?). Macca headed in a third, if we'd conceded that we'd have been fuming. Buy hey ho. And another fox in the box effort for Theo gave him a much deserved hat-trick (I believe Mohsni was the last Shrimper to do that). We even had a few chances to make it five, but you know, we can't be greedy can we. And a word for Oxley and his magnificent double save. Its not often when a ground rises to its feet to applaud a save, but we did.

Some decent performances today. On top of Theo and Oxley, Macca had one of his better games. If we could get that kind of performance out of him every week, he'd be a seriously good player. Elvis didn't look out of place and Anton looked assured throughout.

So, we now know we are League One club next season. Was it telling that Wordsworth was on the bench and never got a look in? Same with Cox. Wright not even near the bench.

Bring on Sunderland and Stanley....

Theo

A bit later than usual.

Two back to back 4-0 home wins. When we are good, we are very good. Dons were dreadful. Awful. No surprise the manager got the boot on the back of that. They will be going down, and personally, I am pleased we hammered a nail in the coffin for them.

However, I am more than pleased that a much vilified player put in performance of the season. I have to say I was surprised to see Theo started ahead of Cox, but I need not have worried. He was superb. Right place at the right time, exactly where a forward should be to slot home his first. However, much credit goes to Dru for a driving run through two defenders and a cracking shot the keeper could only parry. Up until then, the game had been pretty much full of nothing, but from then on it was just a case of "how many". The second goal had everything. Some sumptuous passing, setting up Theo for a deft chip into the net. Superb. Goal of the season? (gwon, name a better one?). Macca headed in a third, if we'd conceded that we'd have been fuming. Buy hey ho. And another fox in the box effort for Theo gave him a much deserved hat-trick (I believe Mohsni was the last Shrimper to do that). We even had a few chances to make it five, but you know, we can't be greedy can we. And a word for Oxley and his magnificent double save. Its not often when a ground rises to its feet to applaud a save, but we did.

Some decent performances today. On top of Theo and Oxley, Macca had one of his better games. If we could get that kind of performance out of him every week, he'd be a seriously good player. Elvis didn't look out of place and Anton looked assured throughout.

So, we now know we are League One club next season. Was it telling that Wordsworth was on the bench and never got a look in? Same with Cox. Wright not even near the bench.

Bring on Sunderland and Stanley....

Wright was injured.

Oxley 8 - As others have said, not much to do for the most part, what a double save at the end though!

Demetriou 7 - Untroubled defensively, tried to get forward when he could.
Ferdinand 7 - Good performance, CP has got him playing much more 'safety first' than PB did. If in doubt whack it out!
White 7 - Solid performance, only outpaced on one occasion first half when their striker shot wide.
Bwomono 7 - I was a little worried when I saw he was starting at LB, I assumed Demi would switch sides. However I shouldn't have been concerned. Bar one terrible pass in the first half, Elvis produced an assured display. He got forward well too, and won the free kick where Macca scored.

Mclaughlin 7 - God display, capped by a nice goal.
Yearwood 8 - Made a slow start but after a fantastic assist for our first he was superb. Oozes class, I think it's inevitable he'll play at a higher level, I hope we keep him for next season at least.
Timlin 6 - Passing was largely abysmal. Stupid yellow card late on, it was comical but I doubt CP saw the funny side. Would be a five but for his part in the second goal.
Kightey 6 - Had a bit of an off day, good free kick for Macca's goal though.

Fortune 6 - Worked hard as always but a little below his best.
Robinson 9 MOM - "3 tap ins :facepalm:" Let's give credit where it's due. I saw two great poachers finishes plus a fantastic second that would be in my top 3 goals of the season.

Subs
Harrison 7 - Best performance for a while, still seems like he's struggling with the physicality of League 1.
Kyprianou 6 - Did fine and played a part in the final goal.
McGlashan 6 - One great peace if skill got him free, predictably followed up by a poor final ball.

I enjoyed seeing Powell's pals before the game. Seeing some of my childhood heroes (and Julian Hails) was great :thumbsup: Is it true that Paul Byrne was supposed to attend too? Still in the pub would be my guess :sad:

Praise the Lord :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy:

I know this is a thread about our performance, which without being there sounds like most home performances under CP, leaving us thinking why aren't we at least in the play-offs. But I want to comment on franchise fc. Nothing against their players or unfortunate management, I even have some sympathy with their fans although they kind of deserve it for taking the short-cut route to what they thought would be success with ****leman & his millions. My point is, how refreshing it is in these days of money guaranteeing success, to see that abomination of a 'club' slowly declining to where it should be, which hopefully is non-league. I'd have no problem with them starting again in the Ryman Third Division South or whatever, and working their way up. Fair play to any club who does that I.e. AFC Wimbledon, Fleetwood, Burton etc. They may all have money, but at least they started at the bottom & had to earn the right to their place in the EFL. Milton Keynes should never have been allowed to buy a league club, but what's done is done. Maybe karma is slowly taking place, and I for one will feel justice has been done if god willing this time next year they slide into non league taking their idiot owner and his plastic palace of a stadium with them.

I kept thinking Saturday how much our dear friend Harry would have enjoyed every moment of it!

I was stuck in traffic on the A127 and turned back. It'll only be an end-of-season kickabout. Bong!

A lovely ice cream sundae of an afternoon, with that late double save by Oxley the chocolate sprinkles and little sparkler on the top.

One other thing - I though the 'Retro Day' was great. Doing stuff like this won't win us any more league points but it does add to the enjoyment of the afternoon.

Spotting old shirts and remembering the players who wore them with (or without) distinction, was good fun. And an education for my son too, who asked me about almost every shirt and stumped me once or twice with shirts of more recent vintage.

I know this is a thread about our performance, which without being there sounds like most home performances under CP, leaving us thinking why aren't we at least in the play-offs. But I want to comment on franchise fc. Nothing against their players or unfortunate management, I even have some sympathy with their fans although they kind of deserve it for taking the short-cut route to what they thought would be success with ****leman & his millions. My point is, how refreshing it is in these days of money guaranteeing success, to see that abomination of a 'club' slowly declining to where it should be, which hopefully is non-league. I'd have no problem with them starting again in the Ryman Third Division South or whatever, and working their way up. Fair play to any club who does that I.e. AFC Wimbledon, Fleetwood, Burton etc. They may all have money, but at least they started at the bottom & had to earn the right to their place in the EFL. Milton Keynes should never have been allowed to buy a league club, but what's done is done. Maybe karma is slowly taking place, and I for one will feel justice has been done if god willing this time next year they slide into non league taking their idiot owner and his plastic palace of a stadium with them.

It's difficult to read too much into our performance because they were so bad - and long may they continue to be so.

League One seems an awful lot weaker than our last spell in this division - when the likes of Southampton, Norwich and Swansea were paying a visit on route to top half Premiership finishes and League One clubs seemed to be regularly beating Premier$hite ones in the cup - but Franchise FC won't be able to call themselves League One for much longer. The sooner they can't call themselves Football League the better.

It was good to see Elvis get another run-out and another clean sheet (3 in 6 league matches and if you count the Checkatrade, which you shouldn't, a further two from three in that). He's not a left-back though and Demetriou looked a lot more comfortable on the left (and I'm referring to when he's played there previously rather than when he popped up on the left-wing!). I'd switch them for the next match.

On another day against a better team, they'd have taken that chance when Anton got outpaced and Oxley came off his line but they fired wide. It would have been a different game then but you can only beat what's put in front of you and we did so handsomely.

Dru was superb and my M-o-M, notwithstanding the revitalised Theo's hattrick. Fortune deserved a goal and worked tirelessly. Timlin complements Yearwood the best out of our midfield options. McLaughlin got a rare headed goal but Kightly was a bit underwhelming.

There will be tougher tests next season but for now we can bask in the triumph of another 4-0 home win.

As my mate said at the game on Saturday, that one moment summed up Glash's time with us in a nutshell. It was "Wow" followed immediately by "Meh"!

Back