• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United agree terms with experienced defender John White

SOUTHEND United have agreed terms on a new contract with experienced defender John White.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

If you are a young player at Southend this is the man to look up to as a role model. Fantastic professional who always gives his all on the pitch. So glad he is still here in these turbulent times to help keep us steady. Would love to see him on the coaching staff at some point.

I think he is deserving of a new contract as he had been a stalwart over the past few years and should be ok for league two. But I wonder who is making this decision as we don’t have a manager at the moment. It might not be such a good idea if the new manager comes in and doesn’t rate him.

I think this is excellent news. Let's not forget that we're not playing Football Manager on a computer here, comparing stats for pace, ball control, defensive ability etc.

This is real life with real people and so with a predominantly young squad we need a foundation of seasoned pros who they can look up to, take advice from and who will not be afraid to have a word with them when needed.

John White comes across as a level-headed guy, well settled locally and who the youth team lads will know and respect having seen him around for 7 years now. Even for older new signings having someone around for words of advice about the club and the area can only help them settle in.

Whether he plays all the time will be based on his form and the other available options, however whether he plays or not he will be around the club and that to me is a very good thing.

If he is called upon to play, he will always give us 100% too and that's good enough for me.

Some good news, if things are going well then he may not play too much but a model pro, who has seen almost everything. I might put a £5 on him to score again at Col Ewe?

Just who is making the decisions:Think:Ron!....just like the retained list the person responsible could be keeping on a load of duffers in the view of our new manager.
Although JW won't let us down at this level if fit of course!

Seems to get a bit of stick on here but he’s a nice bloke, a good honest pro and a great example and by God we need those. His goal against Sunderland is often forgotten but what a goal. Even with his injury problems he’ll be good to have about the place. Congrats JW.
If you were to total up the amount of support posts versus the stick, I think you will find that the support greatly outweighs the stick.

Think of all the youngsters with pro contracts he can sell BMW’s to now. What he lost out on last years contract he can make up in commission. :Smile:

For the doubters.....Maybe the incoming manger has agreed that JW is just the sort of bloke he needs in his squad.

Despite what is often claimed, when your at JW's time in your career you get surprising less money than people think......He is great value in many ways.

Nah, with Ron as chairman the surprise is when he does get paid!

Let's hope he can stay relatively injury free next season. Had a few nasty arm breaks of late

Back