• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Southend United All-Time Draft QF1 (poll now added)

Who would win out of Team A and Team B?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And it's up!

Need to consider this a bit more...

Why you had the right answer earlier!

I think Yorkies problem here may be that he has only selected 4 players from the modern era. I've been supporting Blues 50 years next year and I have only ever seen 5 of them play. I think only Cricko would have seen Harold Halse!

Seriously though, this has the promise of an epic encounter. with managerial styles the key.

Webb's style at it's most successful was simply to play to everyone's strengths. Sturrock as we know liked to get the ball down and across, with plenty of balls into the box. I feel this would be food and drink to Spinner. Further, the mistake by Sturrock is playing Francis and Morris together. this would leave gaps at the back because Francis is the overlapping type and neither had defending as the best part of their game.

The one thing Webb does have in the team is goals and tons of them.

I'd go for a narrow victory for team B.

Next QF probably tomorrow or Friday.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/foot...true-giant-and-gentleman-of-the-game-1064086/

This superb article does indicate that Jimmy Mcaliden was and inside forward amd may not suit the deeper lying midfield three role

Yes, that is a superb article about a superb player.

On the inside forward point, the position evolved. Harold Halse was also described as an inside forward but 1906-08 when Halse played an inside forward played alongside the centre forward in a 2-3-5 formation

1543425426868.png

By the time McAlinden was gracing the Southend United shirt in the post WWII era formations had involved and the inside forwards had dropped into midfield in the WM formation.

1543424974146.png

I linked to this in the draft thread but here's some newsreel clips of him playing (he's the no.8) as he guides Southend to the 5th round of the FA Cup (still a club record).

The first sighting of him is switching play at around the 0:24 mark in what seems to be a midfield spot. When we are defending at 1:34 he's on the edge of our penalty area; when he's "directing some grand passing" around the 2:00 mark he's in the middle of the park; and look at how deep he is when we plays the ball in that Jackie French scores the winner from - there are 6 players ahead of him. That equates to a midfielder in modern money. He wasn't a goalscorer (just 13 in 231 games) but this team doesn't need another goalscorer when I've England's Harold Halse, club record goalscorer Roy Hollis and the prolific Jimmy Shankly who averaged 2 goals every 3 games. What this team needs is someone pulling the strings from deep and he did that with distinction.

Attachments

• 1543424838460.png
    1543424838460.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 0
Back