• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United All-Time Draft

Looking at my team, the goalkeeper position is a glaring gap at the moment which needs filling. I’ve had a good look at SUFC keepers through the years, as pretty much all of my favourites have been snapped up already. There are a few interesting characters in the mix, which I won’t name in case anyone else has their eye on them - but one stands out head and shoulders above those remaining for me.

This guy is a bit of a legend, who played 343 games for us between 1953 and 1963. When he died his ashes were scattered at Roots Hall. Cricko might remember us signing Harry Threadgold.

I’m going to have to select a right-back as the drop-off to the next tier of RBs is too great to risk leaving him available any longer when so many teams need a RB.

He was an “inspirational captain and tremendous servant to the club” according to Peter Miles and Dave Goody; so much so he was awarded a testimonial twice!

Originally a right-winger, Ted Fenton converted him to right-back and he was an integral part of the side that 9-0 v King’s Lynn and 10-1 v Brentwood in the FA Cup.

He held down the position for a decade, winning the inaugural player of the year award in 1965/6, my selection is Tony Bentley.

Rd 1
1. Steve Tilson (Manager)
2. Freddy Eastwood
3. Stanley Victor Collymore
4. Alan Moody
5. Billy Best
6. Dave Webb (Manager)
7. Dave Smith (Manager)
8. Barry Fry (Manager)

Rd 2
1. Mervyn Cawston
2. Darryl Flahavan
3. Spencer Prior
4. Chris Powell
5. Peter Butler
6. Steve Thompson (Manager)
7. Adam Barrett
8. Simon Royce

Rd 3
1. Mike Marsh
2. Paul Sansome
3. Ricky Otto
4. Jonathan Hunt
5. David Crown
6. Keith Jones
7. Mark Gower
8. Dean Austin

Rd 4
1. Justin Edinburgh
2. Kevin Maher
3. Paul Clark
4. Richard Cadette
5. Simon Francis
6. Nicky Bailey
7. Leon Cort
8. Brett Angell

Rd 5
1. Ian Benjamin
2. Andy Ansah
3. Daniel Bentley
4. Colin Morris
5. Eddie Perry (Manager)
6. Harold Halse
7. Ron Pountney
8. Anton Otulakowski

Rd 6 Order
1. Dave Cusack
2. Sam McCrory
3. Jimmy McAlinden
4. Peter Taylor (player)
5. Derek Spence
6. Andy Ford
7. Les Stubbs
8. Pat Scully

Rd 7 Order

1. Mark Bentley
2. Michael Timlin
3. Ronnie Whelan
4. Frankie Banks
5. Ryan Leonard
6. Dru Yearwood
7. Peter Watson
8. John McKinven

Rd 8
1. Bill Garner
2. Roy McDonough
3. Roy Hollis
4. Micky Stead
5. Paul Sturrock (Manager)
6. Steve Phillips
7. Barry Corr
8. Steve Tilson (Player)

Rd 9
1. Andy Edwards
2. Keith Dublin
3. Neil Townsend
4. Mike Lapper
5. Harry Threadgold
6. Tony Bentley
7. Arthur Williamson
8. Chris Guthrie

Rd 10
1. Dave Martin
2. Martin Ling
3. YB
4. Spiff
5. Lord Football
6. FBM
7. Ricey
8. Tom Finney

Rd 11 order
1. Tom Finney
2. Ricey
3. FBM
4. Lord F
5. Spiff
6. YB
7. Napster
8. Firestorm

Rd 12 order
1. Firestorm
2. Napster
3. YB
4. Spiff
5. Lord Football
6. FBM
7. Ricey
8. Tom Finney

Last edited:
Next up is another RB and a stalwart of the late 50s/early 60s side who achieved very respectable results. Signed from Clyde at the start of the 55/56 season, Arthur Williamson would go on to make over 280 appearances for the side, making a new club record for consecutive club appearances. He will link up well with Peter Watson in the middle and with my midfielders.

Talking of wingers I need another one. One that can score goals, one that works well with my strikers. One that is skilful and can cross the ball. One that ended up in the Premier League. Our winger Ling, Martin Ling

what happens once the draft is complete?

could do individual polls (1-10) to work out the average 'quality' of the team as viewed by SZ, and then do seedings based on the score they get and run a little knockout/bracket competition?

8-team-single-seeded-tournament-bracket.jpg

Enables a bit more discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of different teams and I've enjoyed reading about players I've never seen.

OK, as tempting as it is to just block Napster, I need to go with quality.

I've already got the outstanding Southend player of the club's first decade in Halse, so I may as go with the outstanding player of the club's second decade, a period in which Southend established themselves as a League Club (look it up Col Ewe/Orient fans).

This player was an international whilst at Southend (the first player to win a cap whilst at Southend?), he was the club's record sale when we reluctantly - Ted Birnie was trying to rebuild the side around him - sold him to first division (Premiership for all you kids) Burnley. He even once top-scored from full-back.

My selection at left-back is Welsh international Jimmy Evans.

I need a central midfielder to partner Lenny. Lots of my favourites have now gone, sadly (Dave Martin was going to be my pick this time but I’ve just been gazumped on that one!)...

So after a bit of research and looking back I’ve decided to go for someone who played for us from 1981 to 1987, making 266 appearances and scoring 43 goals before moving on to Palace and Ipswich. He’s one of our own, it’s Glenn Pennyfather.

OK, as tempting as it is to just block Napster, I need to go with quality.

I've already got the outstanding Southend player of the club's first decade in Halse, so I may as go with the outstanding player of the club's second decade, a period in which Southend established themselves as a League Club (look it up Col Ewe/Orient fans).

This player was an international whilst at Southend (the first player to win a cap whilst at Southend?), he was the club's record sale when we reluctantly - Ted Birnie was trying to rebuild the side around him - sold him to first division (Premiership for all you kids) Burnley. He even once top-scored from full-back.

My selection at left-back is Welsh international Jimmy Evans.

gaaaaarrrrgghhhhh - he was my number one choice for LB.

ps he wasnt the first Shrimper to be capped whilst at Southend, That was someone else.

Edited as I won't pick him anyway - Lot Jones was the first to be capped, who had an impressive career pre WW1 at Man City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lot_Jones

For us more mature gentlemen does anyone have space for Eddie Clayton or Phil Chisnall?

Back