• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United All-Time Draft

Surprised that keepers are drafting so high, given you only need one each and the 8th best keeper probably isn't going to be particularly bad

are the drafts rerandomised in round 3?

What do people think?

I was going to go back to the order of the 1st round, but this might not be a bad idea.

(I may be playing for time, as this is a tough choice)

Surprised that keepers are drafting so high, given you only need one each and the 8th best keeper probably isn't going to be particularly bad

I think it's like managers: because we only really have one keeper/manager at a time (and the good ones often hang around a long time) there are fewer to choose from therefore fewer good ones available.

What do people think?

I was going to go back to the order of the 1st round, but this might not be a bad idea.

(I may be playing for time, as this is a tough choice)

I think it's like managers: because we only really have one keeper/manager at a time (and the good ones often hang around a long time) there are fewer to choose from therefore fewer good ones available.
I think with managers there's a bigger drop off from the top 3. The 8th is probably Brown or similar!

Keepers, just from 30 seconds thinking..
1. Cawston
2. Flavs
3. Sansome
4. Royce
5. Bentley
6. Oxley
7. Mildenhall
8. Southall

I would have drafted a keeper in the last round imo. But yes get the concept that they're rarer, but probably reasonably similar in quality.

I think with managers there's a bigger drop off from the top 3. The 8th is probably Brown or similar!

1. Cawston
2. Flavs
3. Sansome
4. Royce
5. Bentley
6. Oxley
7. Mildenhall
8. Southall

I would have drafted a keeper in the last round imo. But yes get the concept that they're rarer, but probably reasonably similar in quality.

That's Southall who was at the fag end of his career. Actually there are others - but I think the quality drops off after 5/6 and you don't want to be the one who is forced to choose a keeper who no-one has heard of.

By the by, now I'm thinking do I recruit from the back, via the spine, or just choose my favourites and hope no-one else picks them first?

OK, in the second round I pick Spencer Prior.

No player has achieved promotion with Southend more often than Spinner, the local lad who bookended his career with double promotions with his home town club either side of a long career in the top flight with Norwich (for whom he played in the famous 2-1 win at Bayern Munich), Leicester (with whom he won the League Cup), Derby and Man City.

Every team needs a dominant centre half to build around and Southend have had none more successful than Spinner. I probably should have picked him yesterday, the anniversary of him marshalling the defence that kept the clean sheet against Rooney and Ronaldo.

Rd 1 Webb (Manager)
Rd 2 Prior

SpacemanSpiff @Lord Football is on the clock

Last edited:
Are we allowed loan players? I’d really like to put Lloyd Sam in.

Are we allowed loan players? I’d really like to put Lloyd Sam in.

4. Loanees can be included but should be penalised in the voting for lack of longevity.

Also, this is clearly a smokescreen to hide your pick of Scott Forbes.

1. Cawston
2. Flavs
3. Sansome
4. Royce
5. Bentley
6. Oxley
7. Mildenhall
8. Southall

Neil Freeman was a better keeper than the bottom 4 on that list! I think I'd probably have Belloti or Webster higher than the bottom 3 as well!

And if you're allowing loan players then John Burridge also probably comes in the top 5 as does Federici.
(Apologies if that's just helped someone out!)

Neil Freeman was a better keeper than the bottom 4 on that list! I think I'd probably have Belloti or Webster higher than the bottom 3 as well!

And if you're allowing loan players then John Burridge also probably comes in the top 5 as does Federici.

Loan players would be penalised for lack of longevity.

By the by, now I'm thinking do I recruit from the back, via the spine, or just choose my favourites and hope no-one else picks them first?
strikers win you games, defenders win you leagues."
- Marilyn Monroe

I'm only 22, so a bit before my time. Think it also proves my point if you're saying Bentley is 7 or 8 and Cawston and Flavs 1 and 2.

strikers win you games, defenders win you leagues."
- Marilyn Monroe

I'm only 22, so a bit before my time. Think it also proves my point if you're saying Bentley is 7 or 8 and Cawston and Flavs 1 and 2.

I'll have some of that drugs you're smoking.

Back