• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United All-Time Draft

Is it too late to select now? If not I'll have Steve Thompson as the manager, as I reckon he must have the best win percentage of any SUFC manager in history!

Easily done when you only manage 14 games and some of the best players have come back from injury...

:Smile:

Sod it, didn't see Firestorms selection earlier and have been offline most of the weekend.

Is it too late to select now? If not I'll have Steve Thompson as the manager, as I reckon he must have the best win percentage of any SUFC manager in history!

Is there a list of all players chosen somewhere or is it just a case of trawling back through the posts?

1. Steve Tilson (Manager)
2. Freddy Eastwood
3. Stanley Victor Collymore
4. Alan Moody
5. Billy Best
6. Dave Webb (Manager)
7. Dave Smith (Manager)
8. Barry Fry (Manager)

Rd 2
1. Mervyn Cawston
2. Darryl Flahavan
3. Spencer Prior
4. Chris Powell
5. Peter Butler
6. Steve Thompson (Manager)
7. Adam Barrett
8. Simon Royce

Rd 3
1. Mike Marsh
2. Paul Sansome
3. [ @fbm ]
4. [Lord Football]
5. [Spaceman Spiff]
6. [Yorkshire Blue]
7. [Napster]
8. [Firestorm]

Rd 4
1. [Firestorm]
2. [Napster]
3. [Yorkshire Blue]
4. [Spaceman Spiff]
5. [Lord Football]
6. [FBM]
7. [Ricey]
8. [Thomas Finney]

Last edited:
So many options for my next two choices, but I’m going to grab a keeper and a central midfielder to start work on building a spine for my team. I’ve got two candidates for each spot, Sammy and Royce for keeper and Maher and Marsh for midfield (Keith Jones also a consideration). I’m going with natural talent over longevity in both cases.

First pick: Simon Royce
Second pick: Mike Marsh

I’m going with this choice next as I don’t want to be left with Neville Southall. He was the first goalkeeper I experienced in my first game watching Southend United and my father always spoke highly of him even if I don’t really remember much of his tenure at the club.

For my Goalkeeper I have picked:

GK: Paul Sansome.

Ah ****, I wanted Ricky Otto!
Amazed it's taken up to round 3 to pick him!!

Chris Powell has him as the best player he played with at Southend, which was our most successful period as far as our position in the FL pyramid is concerned.

2. Freddy Eastwood
4. Alan Moody
5. Billy Best
6. Dave Webb (Manager)
7. Dave Smith (Manager)
8. Barry Fry (Manager)

Rd 2
1. Mervyn Cawston
2. Darryl Flahavan
3. Spencer Prior
4. Chris Powell
5. Peter Butler
7. Adam Barrett
8. Simon Royce

Rd 3
1. Mike Marsh
2. Paul Sansome
3. Ricky Otto
4. Jonathan Hunt
5. [ @Spaceman Spiff ]
6. [Yorkshire Blue]
7. [Napster]
8. [Firestorm]

Rd 4
1. [Firestorm]
2. [Napster]
3. [Yorkshire Blue]
4. [Spaceman Spiff]
5. [Lord Football]
6. [FBM]
7. [Ricey]
8. [Thomas Finney]

Last edited:
Booo..... Booo...... Booo......

I'll have my back-up winger..... not as flashy as Ricky, but this one did play in the Premier League and is probably the player we all forget.

I give you Johnathon Hunt.

I hadn't forgotten him and for the small crumb of comfort if may bring you LF (bearing in mind I got Otto), he was my next selection.

Probably.

With the 6th pick of the 3rd round I pick Keith Jones.

This may be something of a surprise as there are bigger names still available (and certainly bigger players) but Keith Jones has the pedigree as a former record signing and an integral part of some of the greatest Southend teams ever.

When in January 1992 Southend beat Newcastle 4-0 to go top of what's now called the Championship it was Keith Jones who was in the centre of the park for us. Here's him smacking it in from outside the area.

(He also crossed for Ansah to make it 3-0)

When Southend won 3-1 away at Derby in November 1993 in perhaps the greatest ever Southend performance it was Keith Jones captaining the side and competing for every ball in midfield.

That's him feeding Ricky Otto for the equaliser. It's not flashy but he picks the right pass and weights it so Otto can run at the defender.

And that is what Keith Jones will bring to my side. He'll make us tick in midfield when we have the ball and he'll compete for it when we don't. There are other midfielders I could have gone for who can pass it and there are others who can win the ball but in Keith Jones I have one of those rarities that can do both at a high level (he played all his football for us in the Championship). That's why Southend's greatest ever manager made him our record signing, that's why England capped him at youth level and that's why he went onto play top flight football with Charlton who he helped get promoted to the Premier. He was as competitive as he was diminutive as he was classy on the ball. I'm delighted to be able to build a side around his talents.

2. Freddy Eastwood
4. Alan Moody
5. Billy Best
6. Dave Webb (Manager)
7. Dave Smith (Manager)
8. Barry Fry (Manager)

Rd 2
1. Mervyn Cawston
2. Darryl Flahavan
3. Spencer Prior
4. Chris Powell
5. Peter Butler
7. Adam Barrett
8. Simon Royce

Rd 3
1. Mike Marsh
2. Paul Sansome
3. Ricky Otto
4. Jonathan Hunt
5. David Crown
6. Keith Jones
7. [Napster]
8. [Firestorm]

Rd 4
1. [Firestorm]
2. [Napster]
3. [Yorkshire Blue]
4. [Spaceman Spiff]
5. [Lord Football]
6. [FBM]
7. [Ricey]
8. [Thomas Finney]

@Napster - you're on the clock

Do I go for skill, goals or brute force? Choices choices.

I’ve got all choices lined up in order. Hmmmmm

Do I go for a crowd pleaser or a personal favourite

So hard

Back