• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mr Spenser
You are so right
The late Joe Jacques was so hard that he even had us lot in the Paddock wincing when he went
in for a challenge.
One particular 50:50 with Bobby Cram of Colchester was so high that he nearly got. Crams goolies
RIP Joe

Paul Sansome

Chris Powell
Spencer Prior
Adam Barrett
Dean Austin

Ricky Otto
Peter Butler
Mike Marsh
Andy Ansah

Brett Angell
David Crown
Stanley Collymore

I've selected a Best First XII as I refuse to choose between Crown, Stan & Bertie Bangle...:smiles:

Mr Spenser
You are so right
The late Joe Jacques was so hard that he even had us lot in the Paddock wincing when he went
in for a challenge.
One particular 50:50 with Bobby Cram of Colchester was so high that he nearly got. Crams goolies
RIP Joe
Joe and Brian Albeson were a solid partnership at the back , I will always remember that Brian kept Peter Osgood in his pocket in 72 .

For those of a certain vintage, the first name on my mean teamsheet would be Joe Jacques. And he'd be captain.
He was properly hard, not a pantomime villain like Deegan !

Heart attack at 36. Blimey. Would love to see some footage of him playing, good one Spenser

Mr Spenser
You are so right
in for a challenge.
RIP Joe
Joe Jacques was an extremely tough footballer and was well known for being as being as hard as nails and in his time at Southend United was certainly not one to be messed about with?(It was often said that Joe would have kicked his own grandmother for a win bonus). There was also a story going around back in the late 60's early 70's that when Southend United were staying in a hotel at the same time as Grimsby Town, a player who later signed for Southend Stuart Brace was nowhere to be seen as JJ was, let's just say "On his Case". Strange really as off the field he was always very approachable and seemed quite calm and was also softly spoken. Mind you he did have quite scary eyes!

Benfleet, i recall Cusack as a good player with strong aerial ability. Not that much in the vein of nutty hard man throwing everything at the ball and player. I put him in the Spencer Prior mould, calm and dominant as a defender. What do you reckon ?

Back