• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

https://twitter.com/ColdWarFoot/status/709490055245602818

Just came across this little delight, was wondering if anybody had any further information on a Shrimpers Soviet tour?

Here is also a match report - http://volgatver.narod.ru/reports/volga-southend.html which can be translated on my browser.

I think DoDTS on here has posted info about this tour before. Also Dave Goody and Peter Miles on the SUFC History twitter account @SUFC_History will have plenty of info about the tour.

The tour was at the start of the 1971-72 season, our first promotion season, according to the sufcdb http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/friendlies.php?y=1971

1 Mon 26Jul 1971..... Kalinin Volga............ 0-1 19,000
2 Fri 30Jul 1971........Tula Metallist .............1-2 Taylor 14,000
3 Tue 3Aug 1971...... Black Sea Select XI.....0-2 9,000
4 Thu 5Aug 1971...... Shinnik Jaroslavl RA....0- 1 12,000

The club also produced a booklet after the tour.

The following season we had a return visit as follows:

Mon 6 Nov 1972 Zenit Leningrad Friendly 1-1

I was at that match, but must say that Zenit Leningrad weren't as bigger name then as they are now.

The tour was at the start of the 1971-72 season, our first promotion season, according to the sufcdb http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/friendlies.php?y=1971

1 Mon 26Jul 1971..... Kalinin Volga............ 0-1 19,000
2 Fri 30Jul 1971........Tula Metallist .............1-2 Taylor 14,000
3 Tue 3Aug 1971...... Black Sea Select XI.....0-2 9,000
4 Thu 5Aug 1971...... Shinnik Jaroslavl RA....0- 1 12,000

The club also produced a booklet after the tour.

The following season we had a return visit as follows:

Mon 6 Nov 1972 Zenit Leningrad Friendly 1-1

I was at that match, but must say that Zenit Leningrad weren't as bigger name then as they are now.

Where can I buy a "Black Sea Select XI" away shirt?

That was one of the best teams Southend ever had that went to Russia .

interesting, what do you remember about the Leningrad game? in terms of opposing styles perhaps? Was it particularly notable that a Soviet side came over to play a relatively small English team, for instance do you recall if there was much press interest in the event?

From Peter Miles' blog

November 6th 1972

Southend United (1) 1 Zenit Leningrad (1)1

Blues’ tour to Russia the previous year had been so successful a promised visit from a top Russian side occured when Zenit Leningrad came to Roots Hall. A crowd of 3,988 saw a tight encounter with Bobby Bennett netting for the Shrimpers. Luton Town’s Robin Wainwright guested for Southend.

Team: Derek Bellotti; Dennis Booth; Ray Ternent; Dave Elliott; Brian Albeson; Mike Harrison; Terry Johnson; Billy Best; Bobby Bennett; Robin Wainwright and Peter Taylor (sub Gary Moore).

interesting, what do you remember about the Leningrad game? in terms of opposing styles perhaps? Was it particularly notable that a Soviet side came over to play a relatively small English team, for instance do you recall if there was much press interest in the event?

I don't remember much at all to be honest it was over 40 years ago, and after the excitement of the previous season, and we had already played Chelsea at Roots Hall in the League Cup in front of 24,000 it was a bit of a non event to be honest. Not much publicity as I remember they were playing other matches against Crystal Palace and Morton and mid-week in November and the gate was about half that of a League match.

Back