• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United are STAYING UP....That's Official

llama

Schoolboy
Greg Clarke (The FA Chairman), has gone on record saying that he cannot see how the football season can be completed this season and that there is no alternative but to null and void the season.

Emergency meeting to be held next Thursday, which will discuss the real possibility of voiding this season.

If the UEFA meeting on Tuesday were to say that the Euros were going ahead (Probably Unlikely), then voiding the season is the only option.

So, Southend ARE staying up and we will all be singing 'The Great Escape' song all summer long?

Then when do you start next season?

That will be for the authorities to decide. There would only need to be a very short close season because the players will have just had a longer (enforced) break than they'd get in any normal Summer. It would present problems but not as big as that caused by nulling and voiding a season which is three-quarters of the way through. It would be even harder for promoted teams to get their houses in order with such a short turnaround but I'm sure they'd accept it over not being promoted.

That is the best option I believe. Postpone The Euros till 2021 and complete this season in July/August if possible.
You’d think that could be a possibility but the issue with that is all player contracts finish at the end of June. For this reason I really am coming to the conclusion that the season will be declared null and void...

That will be for the authorities to decide. There would only need to be a very short close season because the players will have just had a longer (enforced) break than they'd get in any normal Summer. It would present problems but not as big as that caused by nulling and voiding a season which is three-quarters of the way through. It would be even harder for promoted teams to get their houses in order with such a short turnaround but I'm sure they'd accept it over not being promoted.

On a basic level, if you have the choice between voiding this season, thus having just one season adversely affected by this or allowing this season to continue into August/September, thus adversely affecting next season too - Id have thought the first option would be best.

There's a real possibility that the 3 April review date will be extended and then extended again making it nign on impossible to complete the 19/20 fixtures in anything like the normal timeframe or even + 1 or 2 months. One option that would at least give some recognition to current league positions is to roll the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons into one, i.e. we have a 19/21 season!

Complete existing scheduled fixtures when possible be that in August, September or when competitive football resumes, produce a new set of fixtures for all teams in their existing divisions and add these results to the cumulative totals from the original 19/20 fixtures. Yes there will be fixture congestion issues (scrapping all cup comps except the FAC for a year would help) and all manner of other issues but to take either of the other two extremes, freezing and closing the season as is or voiding it all together, just seem wrong.

This solution is far from ideal but we find ourselves in exceptional circumstances, calling for exceptional solutions and this option would give some weighting to clubs' relative positions as of now.

Last edited:
There's a real possibility that the 3 April review date will be extended and then extended again making it nign on impossible to complete the 19/20 fixtures in anything like the normal timeframe or even + 1 or 2 months. One option that would at least give some recognition to current league positions is to roll the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons into one, i.e. we have a 19/21 season!

Complete existing scheduled fixtures when possible be that in May, June, September or when competitive football resumes, produce a new set of fixtures for all teams in their existing divisions and add these results to the cumulative totals from the original 19/20 fixtures. Yes there will be fixture congestion issues (scrapping all cup comps except the FAC for a year would help) and all manner of other issues but to take either of the other two extremes, freezing and closing the season as is or voiding it all together, just seem wrong.

This solution is far from ideal but we find ourselves in exceptional circumstances, calling for exceptional solutions and this option would give some weighting to clubs' relative positions as of now.

That could be a solution too. But there are just too many clubs in the bottom few divisions of the professional game for whom things will need to return to normal as quickly as possible. That includes all cup competitions running and those clubs getting the gate receipts and possible TV money from them. Like I said, I just can’t envisage a scenario that allows the ripple effect to last that long. The aim should and probably will be to get back to normal as quickly as possible. If voiding 19/20 to allow 20/21 to go ahead as close to normal as possible then that might have to be the price to pay.

That is the best option I believe. Postpone The Euros till 2021 and complete this season in July/August if possible.
I agree 100% complete but later , the other option is to complete but without the playoffs and just do straight relegation and promotion

Players need a month off has to be a min 6 week break, if season ends in July and you start late august all would be good

Then when do you start next season?

There is no way the season will go beyond the end of June. They would then probably start a week or two later next season. Half of the players in the division have contracts that end 30th June and they won’t compromise next year as well.

Back