• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United are STAYING UP....That's Official

No one has the solution but cancelling a whole season 36 games because of what might happen, is an assumption in its self.

Its not difficult for the FA to just extend the April 3rd date, so why the need to decide by Thursday.

I remember back in 1987 when the world was panicking about aides.....We were told quite clearly by experts and those in authority that by the year 2000 every family would have lost someone to Aides.

Well this I understand- previously I posted I expect a death by a thousand cuts. 4th April will become end of April will become mid May will become end of May. Primarily because the EFL will want to be seen to be doing everything to complete the season up to the point they accept the inevitable. So would be surprised if there is a decision Thursday unless the government prior announce a ban on all large events until mid/late summer- in which case it becomes easy.,

Someone suggested this season is just halted and the new one starts on the usual date, with everyone in the position they are now...Ie. Liverpool 20 points clear, we are down the bottom like we are now with the points we have now. In effect it's a 2 season long season. Some kind of ex gratia payment could be made by the league in recognition of current league placings to help clubs accept the situation. The club's in higher up positions can then spend more to reinforce their placings come the start of the next season period.
For me it throws up potentially the least contentious issues, enables everyone to know where they stand and what to plan and spend.
From the start of the new season a 1% levy should be paid by all club's into a parachute emergency fund which would be topped up by the fines from every player for non in play yellow cards such as taking the shirt off to celebrate a goal. Imagine players on 150k a week getting a one week fine ! The pot would grow rapidly every week.
The funds used for situations like bury ... No interest temporary loans to enable club's to survive. Or to help in one circumstances like now

Last edited:
This would be wrong on many levels, i'm sorry but Liverpool 100% deserve to be crowned champions.

Impossible to get this right unless they restart this season at some point, 2 games a week in July and August if need be, short break and new season starts.

The only other option I would see as fair would be to take this seasons points tally for each of the 92 teams and add it to next seasons. Still not ideal for the likes of Leeds and West Brom.

This would be wrong on many levels, i'm sorry but Liverpool 100% deserve to be crowned champions.

Impossible to get this right unless they restart this season at some point, 2 games a week in July and August if need be, short break and new season starts.

The only other option I would see as fair would be to take this seasons points tally for each of the 92 teams and add it to next seasons. Still not ideal for the likes of Leeds and West Brom.

Again the two games a week through July bit only works if the peak is much much earlier than mid June. The time this happened before in South America (all be it due to civil unrest) the team leading the top division by some way were made champions, the positions at the point the season was stopped were used for qualifications for tournaments, but there were no promotions and relegations. It will be interesting to see what other Eurpean countries do with their leagues all be it unhelpfully we are supposedly 2-3 weeks behind them in terms of the progression of the virus which is in respect of this problem unhepful..

It’s all guesswork really, until Thursday. Never seen anything like this in my lifetime, don’t think anyone has a clue how this will pan out. Simply “voiding” the season would be incredibly unfair on those teams at the top of the leagues and in play off positions.

It would be bloody hilarious though as far as Liverpool go!

It’s all guesswork really, until Thursday. Never seen anything like this in my lifetime, don’t think anyone has a clue how this will pan out. Simply “voiding” the season would be incredibly unfair on those teams at the top of the leagues and in play off positions.

No teams relegated. Top 3 clubs in Championship, League 1, League 2 and National League all get promoted, meaning that Premier League becomes a 23 club league.

No teams relegated. Top 3 clubs in Championship, League 1, League 2 and National League all get promoted, meaning that Premier League becomes a 23 club league.
That would involve us kicking off in league 1 again which would be quite incredible. It would also mean Ipswich and Sunderland slumming it with the small fry for another season..whichever way they do it they’re gonna annoy a lot of people.

Can’t do that, players whose contracts expire would not be available, they leave 30/06.

If they didn't have the Christmas break that the Premier League wanted they would be but as it stands they are not. It's 99.99999% that they will but mathematically they haven't won it yet.

Can’t do that, players whose contracts expire would not be available, they leave 30/06.
Could play whoever is left or come to a short term arrangement/pay as you play deal with those players. With the Euros likely cancelled and the pre-season period .. I think there’s ample chance to complete this season and voiding it or ending it now is a mistake (even if it means we stay up). Domestic football over the summer would be a nice change.

I expect I’ll be in the minority but I’m not convinced the season being voided so we stay in L1 would be such a win. It would likely only result in another season of struggle because of embargoes and financial straitjackets.

Don’t delay the inevitable. I’d rather take our chances with the kids in L2 where we would be better placed to win a few more games and we only have to finish 22nd to avoid relegation.

I expect I’ll be in the minority but I’m not convinced the season being voided so we stay in L1 would be such a win. It would likely only result in another season of struggle because of embargoes and financial straitjackets.

Don’t delay the inevitable. I’d rather take our chances with the kids in L2 where we would be better placed to win a few more games and we only have to finish 22nd to avoid relegation.

I’m inclined to agree with this. I just have a funny feeling that this season might be voided.

To me it’s not about whether we stay in L1 or not- whether even that would be a good outcome. That’s a bit of a side show.

Ahead of all that is that many clubs are facing an existential threat which is altogether more important. The sooner the EFL is focussed on that the better. Far more likely than relegation on the pitch is that their will be L1 clubs going out of business.

The bit about finishing this season is fantasy world I fear, but a fantasy that will be kept alive for a little while yet whilst the bigger issues go unaddressed...

If they didn't have the Christmas break that the Premier League wanted they would be but as it stands they are not. It's 99.99999% that they will but mathematically they haven't won it yet.
I wasn't quoting maths or fact I said they deserve to be crowned champions

To me it’s not about whether we stay in L1 or not- whether even that would be a good outcome. That’s a bit of a side show.

Ahead of all that is that many clubs are facing an existential threat which is altogether more important. The sooner the EFL is focussed on that the better. Far more likely than relegation on the pitch is that their will be L1 clubs going out of business.

The bit about finishing this season is fantasy world I fear, but a fantasy that will be kept alive for a little while yet whilst the bigger issues go unaddressed...

Absolutely. And they have to be careful that any longer term effects are considered too, not just those in the next 3-4 months. That means that ANY notion of shortening next season/reducing the amount of matches needs to be nipped in the bud straight away because that just ain’t going to work for the income streams of lower league clubs.

The contracts could be extended very easily for 2-3 months due to exceptional circumstances
If the majority of our players are not being paid by the club as currently is the case then why in God’s name would they want to extend their contracts past June. !

Back