• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United are STAYING UP....That's Official

No teams relegated. Top 3 clubs in Championship, League 1, League 2 and National League all get promoted, meaning that Premier League becomes a 23 club league.
Such a simple idea could work if caribou cup cancelled at start of season .Would mean an increased number to be relegated next season to get back usual numbers Definitely the best idea yet as disappointment would only be for play off teams .

Can’t do that, players whose contracts expire would not be available, they leave 30/06.

Some contracts have a clause that if a player has not found another team by 30/6 they get another months salary from the club they are leaving.

That is why we have often hung on to sign players, even if they have already agreed to sign.

Such a simple idea could work if caribou cup cancelled at start of season .Would mean an increased number to be relegated next season to get back usual numbers Definitely the best idea yet as disappointment would only be for play off teams .

Yes definitely ditch the Caribou Cup maybe for good as well. No other country has a third pointless trophy these days!!

Indeed, and given top to bottom our tendency at the moment to follow rather than lead on most things, it perhaps makes sense to look at what the Germans are planning. Apparently the favourite approach currently is for promotion to the Bundesliga based on current standing but not relegations. The Bundesliga increases by two clubs and then promotions with no relegations follows in the lower leagues..

BTW Pat Nevin ex PFA deputy was not at all positive or hopeful about the notion of automatically extending contract beyond 30/6- could neither be forced on players or clubs and so unlikely to work..

There is a sort of precedent for this type of scenario already. I know we are not "at war" with another country, but the entire world is at war with this virus and is shutting down.

I cannot see any way another game can be played this season. Firstly, we are 14 weeks away from "the peak" and many more people with contract this disease between now and the end of March. It is rising at an exponential rate and already footballers in various teams have got it and the whole team is in isolation for 2 weeks.

If that happens a few more time in the next two weeks, then other teams will be isolated.

Secondly, come the middle of April, players won't be fit, even if they were able to play at all.

This is going to affect so much of our daily routine. I'm not even certain that this will all be resolved by the summer. They say heat kills it, but it's quite hot in places like Spain, where is is rapidly overtaking Italy as the worst place in Europe. Saudi Arabia has 103 cases and it is between 25 and 32 degrees. I therefore have zero confidence that the summer weather will kill this off.

In fact - I wouldn't be surprised if next season was affected as well, as without a vaccine, nothing will stop it unless everyone gets it. If 70% of the UK population (around 70 million) were to contract it, and the official figures show that approx 22% are over 60 (2011 Census), then than means 10,780,000 over 60's will catch it, and of those 2,156,000 will die (there is a 20% death rate in the elderly). The health service would collapse pretty quickly and the scenes do not bear thinking about.

So hopefully that won't happen, with the only measure being to delay the spread by isolating people 14 days at a time. This will delay the spread well into next season.

The precedent I mentioned was World War II, which began at the beginning of September 1939 with the season 3 games old. It was scrapped and picked up again in 1946/47 with the same teams as started the 1939/40 season.

That's what will happen I think. There is no other fair or viable alternative..

No teams relegated. Top 3 clubs in Championship, League 1, League 2 and National League all get promoted, meaning that Premier League becomes a 23 club league.
The Premiership might just possibly allow an expansion to 22 teams-extra income from 2 more home games would help-but promoting the current top 3 would be a nonsense—it would be assuming Fulham would have won the play-offs.

There is a sort of precedent for this type of scenario already. I know we are not "at war" with another country, but the entire world is at war with this virus and is shutting down.

I cannot see any way another game can be played this season. Firstly, we are 14 weeks away from "the peak" and many more people with contract this disease between now and the end of March. It is rising at an exponential rate and already footballers in various teams have got it and the whole team is in isolation for 2 weeks.

If that happens a few more time in the next two weeks, then other teams will be isolated.

Secondly, come the middle of April, players won't be fit, even if they were able to play at all.

This is going to affect so much of our daily routine. I'm not even certain that this will all be resolved by the summer. They say heat kills it, but it's quite hot in places like Spain, where is is rapidly overtaking Italy as the worst place in Europe. Saudi Arabia has 103 cases and it is between 25 and 32 degrees. I therefore have zero confidence that the summer weather will kill this off.

In fact - I wouldn't be surprised if next season was affected as well, as without a vaccine, nothing will stop it unless everyone gets it. If 70% of the UK population (around 70 million) were to contract it, and the official figures show that approx 22% are over 60 (2011 Census), then than means 10,780,000 over 60's will catch it, and of those 2,156,000 will die (there is a 20% death rate in the elderly). The health service would collapse pretty quickly and the scenes do not bear thinking about.

So hopefully that won't happen, with the only measure being to delay the spread by isolating people 14 days at a time. This will delay the spread well into next season.

The precedent I mentioned was World War II, which began at the beginning of September 1939 with the season 3 games old. It was scrapped and picked up again in 1946/47 with the same teams as started the 1939/40 season.

Lawyers would be rubbing their hands with glee (and then washing them).

Don't see how any of this can work if the season is cut short early, too many considerations
Anything that is agreed shouldn't penalise teams who have had a successful season and are chasing playoffs
Most teams would lose at least 5home games of income but the players and staff still need paying as well as other bills, rent, rates, utilities etc. Would cause all kinds of financial difficulties
What about the liability to people who have paid for season cards? ,they will have been short changed and so should have about 20% of the purchase cost refunded. Where's that money coming from

Some how some way the seasons will finish, any other way is too messy

Don't see how any of this can work if the season is cut short early, too many considerations
Anything that is agreed shouldn't penalise teams who have had a successful season and are chasing playoffs
Most teams would lose at least 5home games of income but the players and staff still need paying as well as other bills, rent, rates, utilities etc. Would cause all kinds of financial difficulties
What about the liability to people who have paid for season cards? ,they will have been short changed and so should have about 20% of the purchase cost refunded. Where's that money coming from

Some how some way the seasons will finish, any other way is too messy

I think trying to get £75 (£50 over 60's) back off Uncle Ron may be the least of our worries.

I expect I’ll be in the minority but I’m not convinced the season being voided so we stay in L1 would be such a win. It would likely only result in another season of struggle because of embargoes and financial straitjackets.

Don’t delay the inevitable. I’d rather take our chances with the kids in L2 where we would be better placed to win a few more games and we only have to finish 22nd to avoid relegation.

I agree, with the exception that our youngsters will be another year older next season, and with some league one experience (albeit being beaten week in week out)
So you never know.....

B
If the majority of our players are not being paid by the club as currently is the case then why in God’s name would they want to extend their contracts past June. !
Because Ron is going to magic £3million out of his arse to recapitalise the club this week ?

I agree that this virus is not going away soon and will most likely be here at the start of next season. And possibly for seasons after that.

Maybe though attitudes towards it will change. There is currently a lot of fear around the unknown effects of the virus. If as predicted a high percentage of people catch it and again a very high percentage fully recover (don't forget the predicted survival rate is circa 97%) attitudes will change and life gets back to normal.

I have not seen the figure of a 20% death rate in the elderly. However I do wonder how that is weighted to people over say 80. How many already had underlying health issues.

22% of the population maybe over 60 but I would not call that being elderly (maybe because I am in my 50's). I certainly know many people in their 60's who are far fitter and live healthier lifestyles than those under 60.

I also agree with you that it is highly unlikely that any more games will be played this season. As to the solution your guess is as good as mine.

I expect I’ll be in the minority but I’m not convinced the season being voided so we stay in L1 would be such a win. It would likely only result in another season of struggle because of embargoes and financial straitjackets.

Don’t delay the inevitable. I’d rather take our chances with the kids in L2 where we would be better placed to win a few more games and we only have to finish 22nd to avoid relegation.
For me the benefit is that almost a certain season of struggle ensues, we may be relegated... but still in the league.

The contracts could be extended very easily for 2-3 months due to exceptional circumstances
I cant see players doing that of they can move to another club.

The whole thing is a legal minefield.

The other thing i thought of if the season is null and void, would they have to do the same with FFP for the season thats voided? Bout harsh to say you cant go up or what ever but we will still publish you on FFP even though promotion would have covered that

I cant see players doing that of they can move to another club.

The whole thing is a legal minefield.

The other thing i thought of if the season is null and void, would they have to do the same with FFP for the season thats voided? Bout harsh to say you cant go up or what ever but we will still publish you on FFP even though promotion would have covered that
It’s a nightmare for all concerned, of course if Ronald doesn’t find some cash down the back of the sofa it’s academic for us.

Some contracts have a clause that if a player has not found another team by 30/6 they get another months salary from the club they are leaving.

That is why we have often hung on to sign players, even if they have already agreed to sign.
fair enough, but if that clause isnt there i cant see many hanging around.

Greg Clarke (The FA Chairman), has gone on record saying that he cannot see how the football season can be completed this season and that there is no alternative but to null and void the season.

Emergency meeting to be held next Thursday, which will discuss the real possibility of voiding this season.

If the UEFA meeting on Tuesday were to say that the Euros were going ahead (Probably Unlikely), then voiding the season is the only option.

So, Southend ARE staying up and we will all be singing 'The Great Escape' song all summer long?

If they void the whole season and we all start again next, does that mean we have to take back all the players that left?

Last edited:
Back