• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Kevin Maher confirms on loan Norwich City youngster will stay

A good signing by Brown, as was Arnold, Dalby, Bridge and Murphy.
Yes we forget amongst everything there were some good signings. Problem was how the worked together as a team, the balance etc. And there in hindsight it was well off the mark I think..

Yes we forget amongst everything there were some good signings. Problem was how the worked together as a team, the balance etc. And there in hindsight it was well off the mark I think..
Yes, I think it was the signing of veterans Dunne, Coulson and Agogo that did it. The logic of signing gnarled old pros would have been valid had it not been for their history of injuries and it was predictable that they would continue in that respect. What might have been.

Definately think Dennis has something about him.

Hope he gets further chances to stake a claim for the first team.

A good signing by Brown, as was Arnold, Dalby, Bridge and Murphy.
No one said that about Dennis when he played under Brown though.

He has looked a different player under Maher. I don't think he was in Maher's plans to start with. He wasn't in many match day squads at all. He got his chance against Dorking and took it. Probably got a lucky call up against Bromley due to Murphy not being 100% and again, he took his chance.

Credit to the player for working hard and not throwing his toys out of the pram, many young loanee's would. Fair play to Maher too for changing his mind and giving him a chance. It's easy to just get rid of a former manager's players. It takes a bigger manager to want to work with them and get more out of them.

Last edited:
The problem was that Brown was obsessed with wingers, but had no idea how to use them. I am sure that Dennis will make more of playing down the middle, than he will as a winger. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the rest of the season.

I still don't understand why some of our fans hate Brown so much. He will be remembered in time as one of our best Managers - easily top 5. His first spell with us was arguably one of the most successful periods in our history. He almost pulled off a miracle by avoiding relegation last season with possibly the worst squad I can remember.
This season was and is a disaster however have we drastically improved under Maher. Results would suggest otherwise.

Yes, I think it was the signing of veterans Dunne, Coulson and Agogo that did it. The logic of signing gnarled old pros would have been valid had it not been for their history of injuries and it was predictable that they would continue in that respect. What might have been.
and there lies the rub, add in Atkinson and we had a poor midfield and dodgy defence, plus overall a squad with more than twice the average number of more " mature" players compared to most teams in the league, Plus the wonders of Kargbo and Kimbioka? and a descent towards oblivion, cheers,Phil
Mind the bus

I still don't understand why some of our fans hate Brown so much. He will be remembered in time as one of our best Managers - easily top 5. His first spell with us was arguably one of the most successful periods in our history. He almost pulled off a miracle by avoiding relegation last season with possibly the worst squad I can remember.
This season was and is a disaster however have we drastically improved under Maher. Results would suggest otherwise.
He threw the team under the bus the first and second time around. Yes he got us a promotion but his media work and sheer "look at me I can do know wrong" persona left a bitter taste for me. Whether you liked him or not first time around, what he did in footballing terms after us meant he did not deserve to be back for a second time.

I think we have improved under Maher I look forward to next season to see the players he brings in but we need to clear out the out of contract players first

I don't think being critical of his return and subsequent demise means it diminishes his successes at Southend United. His successes also don't justify exemption from justified criticism.

Don't also forget his successes align with a certain chairman who backed said manager. He also gets the same treatment. Football is, and always has been, fickle.

Let's be honest though, we are not here to celebrate something we/he did many years ago. We are here licking wounds that started to be felt at the end of his previous tenure. We are still healing from a number of the many things he did towards the latter stages of his time with us. Therefore, we here to not bask in the successes but learn from past mistakes.

I believe we have improved under Maher since he left. We were a massive sinking ship under his leadership and we were going one way. I genuinely can't envisage anyone seriously expected any manager to come in and drastically change our fortunes with this current squad.

Maher and co will keep us up and that is the remit. A remit we never dreamed of at the start of the season but a remit that Brown left behind with the squad he assembled.

He didn't almost keep us up.

He won a couple of dead rubber games once down. The game we needed to win against Colchester to give us any chance which he was in charge of we put in the worst display I have ever seen us give.

First time round was a success don't get me wrong but he was a god awful pick second time round.

Let us not forget that for the last few games under his tenure he was subjected to considerable abuse and undermining which made his job virtually untenable. To his credit, he has kept his dignity by remaining silent but no doubt there is lot he could say about fellow professionals calling for his head.

Back