• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Kevin Maher confirms on loan Norwich City youngster will stay

He didn't almost keep us up.

He won a couple of dead rubber games once down. The game we needed to win against Colchester to give us any chance which he was in charge of we put in the worst display I have ever seen us give.

First time round was a success don't get me wrong but he was a god awful pick second time round.
Not to mention whilst Brown managed 9 points in those 6 games MM actually picked up 11 points against the exact same teams, so Brown didn't exactly have the hardest run of games even if the opposition was trying.

I'm grateful to Brown for his first spell but (whilst he did make a few good signings) he badly misjudged how competitive this league would be and he's left us in a mess as a result.

He didn't almost keep us up.

He won a couple of dead rubber games once down. The game we needed to win against Colchester to give us any chance which he was in charge of we put in the worst display I have ever seen us give.

First time round was a success don't get me wrong but he was a god awful pick second time round.

I like Phil Brown, but the team selection and tactics against Colchester were dreadful. In view of what he said before the match, focusing on how it was a must win game, his approach was hopeless. Did he lose his nerve and try to snatch a win after defending all game? Did he misread the opposition - their morale was rock bottom at the time and they could have been blown away.

All water under the bridge of course, but it still rankles with me. Looking forward to a brighter future with the Three Amigos, Stan and John and players of the quality of Matt Dennis. COYB!!

I like Phil Brown, but the team selection and tactics against Colchester were dreadful. In view of what he said before the match, focusing on how it was a must win game, his approach was hopeless. Did he lose his nerve and try to snatch a win after defending all game? Did he misread the opposition - their morale was rock bottom at the time and they could have been blown away.

All water under the bridge of course, but it still rankles with me. Looking forward to a brighter future with the Three Amigos, Stan and John and players of the quality of Matt Dennis. COYB!!
Brown did that a lot in 'must-win' games. Morecambe away, Shrewsbury away when we lost 1-0 and even Wembley was a near miss. We always set-up not to lose in those huge games. Nicking a 1-0 and defend was always the mantra.

But as you said, water under the bridge (not Jack) and I'm hoping for a better road ahead.

He threw the team under the bus the first and second time around. Yes he got us a promotion but his media work and sheer "look at me I can do know wrong" persona left a bitter taste for me. Whether you liked him or not first time around, what he did in footballing terms after us meant he did not deserve to be back for a second time.
First of all I have to make clear I do not hate him. I just thought he was a poor manager and especially so for the sort of club Southend are. My biggest beef against him was that the first time around he was with us for five years and yet when he left there was no legacy. He had five years and some decent budgets to bring in players but you might want to compare the players he took over from Sturrock with the squad he left CP.
He seemed to have an aversion to signing the sort of he player that Barry Fry, Webby and Tilly were all able to somehow discover. And it could be argued that the achievement of Paul Sturrock in building up the team he did under the most unfavourable circumstances was one the greatest, if not the greatest, feats in Southend's history.
It is my opinion that Phil could not effectively work with a small budget, and, had not much of an eye for players with no reputations.
I thought he was a bad fit for us the first time, and, an even worse one the second time around.
I know he is passionate about the game, and, I have no doubt he can be an amiable companion. Hate him no. Never.
I do think his lack of success with us the second time around was entirely predictable. But then I would say that. I predicted it.

He threw the team under the bus the first and second time around. Yes he got us a promotion but his media work and sheer "look at me I can do know wrong" persona left a bitter taste for me. Whether you liked him or not first time around, what he did in footballing terms after us meant he did not deserve to be back for a second time.
There is your answer he was a good manager .But its been said never return to a club you have done well first time around ..he had a good back room staff first time .But sadly the lack of money and promoting from with in was his down fall .And the old grey matter was not as sharp as it was .

First of all I have to make clear I do not hate him. I just thought he was a poor manager and especially so for the sort of club Southend are. My biggest beef against him was that the first time around he was with us for five years and yet when he left there was no legacy. He had five years and some decent budgets to bring in players but you might want to compare the players he took over from Sturrock with the squad he left CP.
He seemed to have an aversion to signing the sort of he player that Barry Fry, Webby and Tilly were all able to somehow discover. And it could be argued that the achievement of Paul Sturrock in building up the team he did under the most unfavourable circumstances was one the greatest, if not the greatest, feats in Southend's history.
It is my opinion that Phil could not effectively work with a small budget, and, had not much of an eye for players with no reputations.
I thought he was a bad fit for us the first time, and, an even worse one the second time around.
I know he is passionate about the game, and, I have no doubt he can be an amiable companion. Hate him no. Never.
I do think his lack of success with us the second time around was entirely predictable. But then I would say that. I predicted it.
What do you mean no legacy from his first time around? We’re living his legacy from his first spell right now.

All those short term decisions led to where we now find ourselves. Our crop is the result of his failure to plant sufficient seeds and to tend to that crop.

Yes, I think it was the signing of veterans Dunne, Coulson and Agogo that did it. The logic of signing gnarled old pros would have been valid had it not been for their history of injuries and it was predictable that they would continue in that respect. What might have been.
And the re signing of grandad Atkinson, Grandma White and Great Uncle Demi

Back