• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Kevin Maher on his pursuit of new players

I am getting sick of these continuous digs by people who have no idea of what is going on at the club, it's the same names every time and it's blindingly obvious that they have an agenda that's shrouded in negativity without any regard to reality. I have no doubt whatsoever those same people will claim any future success was achieved in spite of the efforts of those at the club.
Seems like some people dont want the club to succeed. Fortunately the overwhelming majority are behind Stan, Tom and the whole team.

We have to get it right. It is frustrating for all of us, but we cannot be making the same mistakes that we have made for the last three years. Knee-jerk decisions, poor recruitment, contracts we can't pay off and lumbered with the wrong people for months/years.

The difference between now and the last three years is we now have:

A chief executive that is a supporter of the club
A head coach who is a club legend and has coveted this job for years
An assistant head coach who is highly respected at this level
A first team coach who is also a very popular former player and has an affinity with the club
A senior football strategist with good contacts and a high profile, who also loves the club.

I know it is the age of social media and we all want success now and we want it five minutes ago, and I know that every week that goes past, our league situation becomes more serious.

I accept as a supporter, I know very little about the day-to-day workings about what goes on at the club. I can only go on trust, and I place my trust in those above and I know they be working absolutely tirelessly to try and do right by the club.

Interviews with Maher suggest he knows where the issues are and he wants to make changes. But changes for changes sake won't work. It's part of why we are in this position. We need genuine quality in several positions. That is not easy to source mid-season, and especially if you have our reputation and financial constraints and are in our league position.

We are a third of the way into the season and we have had a terrible start. We have 29 games to stay up, and we are currently outside of the relegation places. Also, we have only three league games between now and Christmas, which is good news. We need to ensure the people we are planning on bringing in are right. January is the key month. A good January will go a long way (check the fixture list).

Perhaps the answer lies in these bold claims made a few weeks ago by SVC. Point 2 seems particularly relevant.

"1. A pundit who got you a CEO which you didn't have for 5 years. The alternative if Tomwasn't there? I dread to think.

2. A pundit who has a recruitment head ready who's knows every player in the nation( six hundred Conference players watched, analysed and picked out to fit what we need, now, today) who can be extricated from their clubs to bring in quality. He walked into Grimsby in pre season, the oldest squad in the division and brought 8 recommended in. They are TOP of the league.

3. A pundit who's managed to persuade the owner to take a back sead in order to not inflame a tense situation. Likewise a supporter base ready to turn at any moment.
But the club hasn't appointed the recruitment head - so it's not surprising we haven't added any of the players this guy has identified.

I don't think that is SC's fault.

Realistically all we can hope for right now are loan players. And very welcome they will be too, especially if the are of a similar standard of the Sheffield United lads.

But the club hasn't appointed the recruitment head - so it's not surprising we haven't added any of the players this guy has identified.

I don't think that is SC's fault.
Recruitment head or not there are not many suitable players available to sign unless you can pay transfer fees. And we can not.
A sad fact of life.

Recruitment head or not there are not many suitable players available to sign unless you can pay transfer fees. And we can not.
A sad fact of life.
I think that's an opinion, not a fact.

The 2 lads from Sheffield prove there are good players available

I think that's an opinion, not a fact.

The 2 lads from Sheffield prove there are good players available
Please read my post that immediately precedes my later one. It says:
'Realistically all we can hope for right now are loan players. And very welcome they will be too, especially if the are of a similar standard of the Sheffield United lads'.
Perhaps I am not expressing myself clearly enough but when I opined that there were not too many suitable players available I did not mean loan signings.
Yes, it is an opinion and one where I would happy to be proved wrong on.

I was more pointing out I can understand why people have the right to question it after the expectations that were set is that things were going to happen “quickly”.

Quickly is relative of course, but don’t think can blame the frustrations of the fans as we stare down the barrels of relegation to the national south!

hoping there are interesting, exciting and more positive times ahead, starting this week! :)
“Quickly” is relative, yes. It takes time to identify and assess players and get them in as well as changing toxic cultures and building shattered confidence. Work has been going on behind the scenes, lots of it. The place has been a total mess for years, not just on the pitch..it won’t be miraculously transformed in a few weeks.

As for staring down the barrel of relegation, no - we’re not. We’ve got plenty of games to get up the table and we aren’t even in the bottom 3. I’ve seen Maidenhead labelled a “must win game”….no it isn’t. Of course a win would be great and a huge boost.

Love it Stan. Shut the moaners up.
I don't really think it's shutting anyone up personally. Stan made big promises and people are understandably asking where we are with those promises. I can see Stan has alluded to something happening this week and my god it needs too. We have a fanbase who's at each others throats and 95% percent of a squad who are a crock of total and utter ****e.

We are a third of the way into the season and we have had a terrible start. We have 29 games to stay up, and we are currently outside of the relegation places. Also, we have only three league games between now and Christmas, which is good news. We need to ensure the people we are planning on bringing in are right. January is the key month. A good January will go a long way (check the fixture list).
We’ve had a poor start, not a terrible one.

This time last season we had 5 points from 12 matches and were already 6 points adrift and still under embargo. This time the season before that we were on 5 points from 17 matches and already 8 points adrift.

11 points from 15 matches and a point above the relegation spots isn’t great but it is a world away from the two previous seasons when we were already further adrift than points we had.

I don't really think it's shutting anyone up personally. Stan made big promises and people are understandably asking where we are with those promises. I can see Stan has alluded to something happening this week and my god it needs too. We have a fanbase who's at each others throats and 95% percent of a squad who are a crock of total and utter ****e.
Personally I think there is far too much whinging and moaning on here. The posts are getting more confrontational and impatient. We have to give everyone time to get it right. We are not getting promoted and not relegated. Next season my expectations will be very high. This season I have written off as a season of consolidation and change.

Personally I think there is far too much whinging and moaning on here. The posts are getting more confrontational and impatient. We have to give everyone time to get it right. We are not getting promoted and not relegated. Next season my expectations will be very high. This season I have written off as a season of consolidation and change.
Out of interest what do you expect people to post about? It's not as if there's really anything to post about that's remotely positive, not that I can think of anyway. Our fanbase are the most patient fan base ever, obviously too patient IMO. We're just above the relegation zone in the national league with barely a win to our name all season and we're practically in December. Of course I hope we can turn it around and I do think we'll stay up this season but the fact I'm saying that is just so so so so so bad.

Out of interest what do you expect people to post about? It's not as if there's really anything to post about that's remotely positive, not that I can think of anyway. Our fanbase are the most patient fan base ever, obviously too patient IMO. We're just above the relegation zone in the national league with barely a win to our name all season and we're practically in December. Of course I hope we can turn it around and I do think we'll stay up this season but the fact I'm saying that is just so so so so so bad.
You've got to the crux of it really.

It is totally understandable for the fanbase, who have had 3-4 years of rubbish, to be fed up of everything and have lost their patience.

However it is unfair on Tom Lawrence, Collymore, Maher, Currie and Bentley to not be patient because they have been doing their for role weeks to months.

We all need to take the middle ground somewhat though and not judge those 5 names above because of what preceded them.

Back