• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Southend United boss Kevin Maher on his pursuit of new signings - and other 2022 rumours or inside info

This is all good news. In my view there is no rush, so hopefully with all the new signings we will get it right first time. I am convinced there is just enough quality to avoid relegation as things stand at the moment.

Definitely need a right back/right wingback, Demi getting older, losing legs a bit with the pace of the National League, Howard may be not ready or good enough for the team, hopefully it will be right sided defender, one that is pacey and has some strength would be a big bonus.

Rumours floating around that it will be Leon Davies, just left Cambridge United and was a key part of their promotion winning squad last season.

They were interested in the 18 year old Ashby at West Ham but he has since played in the 1st team against Spurs in the carabao cup.
Also why don’t they recall Jon Benton back from Aveley… banging in the goals and creates a lot of goals.

They were interested in the 18 year old Ashby at West Ham but he has since played in the 1st team against Spurs in the carabao cup.
Also why don’t they recall Jon Benton back from Aveley… banging in the goals and creates a lot of goals.
It's easier said then done, he could come back, play 5 games and do absolutely nothing, scoring goals in a lower league elsewhere doesn't mean they'll instantly do the same in the first team. The staff would judge when the best moment to bring the player into the team will be.

We learnt the lesson with Brandon Goodship where he was absolutely destroying teams with Weymouth, and then the rest is history.

Rumours floating around that it will be Leon Davies, just left Cambridge United and was a key part of their promotion winning squad last season.

He only played 11 games last season but he would have gained a lot of experience being part of match day squads. The bad injury bit concerns me, we've been here before with players that have had long term injuries. Hopefully it was just a freak one-off thing.

At 22 years-old, he has plenty of time to develop further.

Leon Davies isn't exactly highly thought of by Cambridge or Weymouth where he was on loan.

He also has had significant injuries.

I thought the standard of player we were going to be able to sign was going to be high.

I'm not sure that this is it

Leon Davies isn't exactly highly thought of by Cambridge or Weymouth where he was on loan.

It’s better we sign someone who has yet to make their reputation, anyway. We need to be thinking about future production not past results. We’ve signed too many who produced three years ago and not enough who’ll peak over the next three years.

With Mark Bonner at Cambridge we should have the inside track on him.

I thought the Cambridge manager's comments on him depicted him as highly thought of.

In regards to Weymouth, it sounded like he just went there for fitness to get him back from his injury.

Even if he isn't highly thought of, neither was Dalby at his previous clubs. Sometimes certain moves just don't work out.

The manager did say key member of the squad, not starting 11. There is a difference. He may just have a great attitude and work ethic that made him key to the dressing room and if needed, he was ready.

I'm willing to give him a chance if it's him. I trust Kev and Co to get the best out of him.

Last edited:
Back