• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Mark Molesley explains changes made at Carlisle United

OK, so one forward got cramp, second game into the season, and the other is painfully slow.
I'm willing to bet a gold pig MM didn't think it was going to be this tough when he took the job.
Tough, yes, impossible (as it stands), no.

Couple of little black marks against MM for me the weekend - which is INCREDIBLY harsh and I'm going to try to not let it affect my judgement of him just now....

• 4-0 home thumping and just 1 change, not a great message

• 442 (or dress it up as 4411, 4231 as Goodship was just off the front) - away from home off the back of a thumping, I'd try to get a point**

• Would have made McCormack captain

• Subs were poor. Explain them all you like, but you took 2 strikers off for a left back and another midfielder but left Rush on the bench.
Thats just my view. As I say, harsh to pass judgement on management or players just now, but doesnt mean we cant have objective opinions.

Certainly want to see changes Saturday as could hook any number of them out - or at least change formation. Wouldn't be against a 4-3-3 with Green/Egbri wide and 3 more sold central.

** always stuck with me that Brown hated losing 2 on the spin. Even if it meant in the game following a defeat we would be incredibly negative. It just stops it spiralling into a losing run. 2 can easily become 3...4....

Couple of little black marks against MM for me the weekend - which is INCREDIBLY harsh and I'm going to try to not let it affect my judgement of him just now....

• 4-0 home thumping and just 1 change, not a great message

• 442 (or dress it up as 4411, 4231 as Goodship was just off the front) - away from home off the back of a thumping, I'd try to get a point**

• Would have made McCormack captain

• Subs were poor. Explain them all you like, but you took 2 strikers off for a left back and another midfielder but left Rush on the bench.
Thats just my view. As I say, harsh to pass judgement on management or players just now, but doesnt mean we cant have objective opinions.

Certainly want to see changes Saturday as could hook any number of them out - or at least change formation. Wouldn't be against a 4-3-3 with Green/Egbri wide and 3 more sold central.

** always stuck with me that Brown hated losing 2 on the spin. Even if it meant in the game following a defeat we would be incredibly negative. It just stops it spiralling into a losing run. 2 can easily become 3...4....

That's ironic because Phil Brown was an incredibly streaky manager. Not uncommon for us to lose four in a row then go and win five in a row etc.

That's ironic because Phil Brown was an incredibly streaky manager. Not uncommon for us to lose four in a row then go and win five in a row etc.

I didnt say it always works :) Just was his philosophy which makes sense.

You fella's will know about this than I but didn't (deep breath) SC and his team identify a problem with general fitness and diet that was worked and improved upon, even during lock-down ? One wonders how and why this was allowed to lapse - I mean, as professionals surely it was in the players (and club's) interest to keep up to a certain level ?

You fella's will know about this than I but didn't (deep breath) SC and his team identify a problem with general fitness and diet that was worked and improved upon, even during lock-down ? One wonders how and why this was allowed to lapse - I mean, as professionals surely it was in the players (and club's) interest to keep up to a certain level ?

No, not only were the players not given any fitness plans to follow, but they had no contact with Sol (or any member of his team) at all during that period, so keeping tabs on their progress/status was impossible.

Most of them had their own little routines they set up and followed themselves, although this could never replicate the work they would normally be doing during training.

If the Goodship had cramp fine, given our lack of numbers we can't afford to risk more injuries but it's not great for Rush that playing with no strikers is viewed as a better strategy to MM than sticking Rush on, if he isn't in MM's plans then we need to find a club to loan him out to so that we can register another player.

If the Goodship had cramp fine, given our lack of numbers we can't afford to risk more injuries but it's not great for Rush that playing with no strikers is viewed as a better strategy to MM than sticking Rush on, if he isn't in MM's plans then we need to find a club to loan him out to so that we can register another player.
Precisely.
We had no chance of getting back into the game, why not try some new things.

Im not sure loaning out enables another player to be registered. I may be wrong! MMN, Kyps, Rush and probably Kelman are all in the line of fire, but they have to properly leave to enable getting new players in. They need to find another club in a permanent move or get it mutually agreed to leave. Doubt Good**** will be going anywhere and constant rumours that Elvis has a move seem to die out around the miiddle of each week. Though you never know!
Furloughing of players and other staff is of massive detriment to staying anything close to match fit. So rushing back for a quick preseason is never going to produce anything but what is happening now. Clubs that went back early and that are well run did not have these issues.
As i said before on here, certain furloughed players even offered to try and get the whole squad together unofficially to train while a manager was being sorted out, so that a preeason of some kind at least got under way in some shape or other. They knew the consequencies we are now seeing! But the offer was declined by RM.

Im not sure loaning out enables another player to be registered. I may be wrong! MMN, Kyps, Rush and probably Kelman are all in the line of fire, but they have to properly leave to enable getting new players in. They need to find another club in a permanent move or get it mutually agreed to leave. Doubt Good**** will be going anywhere and constant rumours that Elvis has a move seem to die out around the miiddle of each week. Though you never know!
Furloughing of players and other staff is of massive detriment to staying anything close to match fit. So rushing back for a quick preseason is never going to produce anything but what is happening now. Clubs that went back early and that are well run did not have these issues.
As i said before on here, certain furloughed players even offered to try and get the whole squad together unofficially to train while a manager was being sorted out, so that a preeason of some kind at least got under way in some shape or other. They knew the consequencies we are now seeing! But the offer was declined by RM.

To be honest I don't know really know the ins and outs of these rules at all. But wasn't the charge last season regarding MMN because he was loaned out and they still held his registration? That's why i'm a bit confused loans don't count.

I think unsure (from memory) its because he was out on loan and got brought back and played for a very short time in a match without the correct administration being done beforehand.

coz that risks breaking the law (you can't work on furlough), and the last thing we need is further punishment

Ron is not an idiot, he probably understands these things far better than we do. To think that he has Learnt nothing in all the years he has been here would be insulting.
I would hazard a guess that he simply couldn’t afford for the players to be training - unofficialy or officially. (Even unofficial maybe he was concerned that he would end up having to pay the players rather than furlough).
if this wasn’t the reason then frankly I don’t get it.

Ps. Couldn’t the players could have done this themselves without any contact with the club?

Probably not, because not all were furloughed at the same time at certain times.
Other than that it's a fair point raised. At the time , Fagan was the lead runner and a senior furloughed player was fagans choice as no2 before Fagan was told he'd need a more experirnced team. Hence fagans change of plans to a different no2. (Can't remember his name -ex Northampton\ spurs!) .
I guess my point was that it seemed players were keen to get training and just werent able to because of how things were managed, in comparison to other better run club's

To be honest I don't know really know the ins and outs of these rules at all. But wasn't the charge last season regarding MMN because he was loaned out and they still held his registration? That's why i'm a bit confused loans don't count.

Miles Mitchell-Nelson was not under a professional contract last season; he had been awarded a third-year scholar/development contract. This means he wasn't loaned out in the same way as it is deemed a 'work experience loan' and he would need to have been recalled within a certain time period from that to be registered to play in the EFL; my understanding would be it wasn't that his registration was held by another club but that he hadn't been recalled correctly/in time (registered scholars are permitted to play in EFL matches, providing they are not on work experience).

From EFL Regulation 54: "Scholars, Non-Contract players and Academy Players may not go on loan. However, pursuant to FA Rules, players registered as Scholars can go out on ‘Work Experience’. The Player may continue to train and play for either the Parent Club or the Work Experience Club (or club) in any age-restricted or reserve team match or in any match in the football pyramid below the English Football League. Any Player on Work Experience is not eligible to play in any first team games in the English Football League (see FA Rule C.3(a)(v))."

MMN has now signed a professional contract (alongside the likes of Harry Seaden, Terrell Egbri and Matt Rush) in the summer, so he's not eligible for a work experience loan. All have been registered to play in the EFL (unlike Michael Klass, it would appear, this season), so even if they went out on loan they'd still contribute as a player to our capped limit.

Miles Mitchell-Nelson was not under a professional contract last season; he had been awarded a third-year scholar/development contract. This means he wasn't loaned out in the same way as it is deemed a 'work experience loan' and he would need to have been recalled within a certain time period from that to be registered to play in the EFL; my understanding would be it wasn't that his registration was held by another club but that he hadn't been recalled correctly/in time (registered scholars are permitted to play in EFL matches, providing they are not on work experience).

From EFL Regulation 54: "Scholars, Non-Contract players and Academy Players may not go on loan. However, pursuant to FA Rules, players registered as Scholars can go out on ‘Work Experience’. The Player may continue to train and play for either the Parent Club or the Work Experience Club (or club) in any age-restricted or reserve team match or in any match in the football pyramid below the English Football League. Any Player on Work Experience is not eligible to play in any first team games in the English Football League (see FA Rule C.3(a)(v))."

MMN has now signed a professional contract (alongside the likes of Harry Seaden, Terrell Egbri and Matt Rush) in the summer, so he's not eligible for a work experience loan. All have been registered to play in the EFL (unlike Michael Klass, it would appear, this season), so even if they went out on loan they'd still contribute as a player to our capped limit.

Now that makes sense! Thanks

Back