• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Mark Molesley explains putting Shaun Hobson at right-back

"JD has been a right-back by trade but Shaun has been excellent at right-back
"It’s only really JD and Whitey you could look to play there as Rob Howard has a fracture in his wrist and isn’t available," said Molesley.

There we go, hopefully that'll put the calls on here to play Demetriou at RB to bed once and for all.

"It’s only really JD and Whitey you could look to play there as Rob Howard has a fracture in his wrist and isn’t available," said Molesley.

There we go, hopefully that'll put the calls on here to play Demetriou at RB to bed once and for all.

Like the calls to stop playing tippy tippy crap across our own penalty area, stop playing five at the back and stop being so miserably frightened of attacking?

Doubt it.

Yes JD is a right back by trade. And no Hobson is a long way from being an experienced let alone alone an excellent RB. But he isn't going to come out and say he got it wrong anymore than with the 352 debacle. That is absolutely fine and predictable. The good thing is he knows JD is a right back by trade (as I wondered if he didn't) and might actually give it some thought. Meantime better still ideally Elvis can return for Sat?

“Shaun has been excellent at right back” .. wouldn’t be surprised if he never plays there again!

Unpopular opinion - Demi if fit has to start in midfield, off the ball he is the best we have in that position. He stops/limits/breaks up opposition play far better than anyone else we have in the middle of the park.

MM is doing a phenomenal job. Sick of reading the expert hindsight amongst our fanbase whether it's on that moronic FB group, Twitter or here.

Just perhaps he (MM) might have a much better knowledge of the fitness of our team than us

MM - really? If you truly believed that then why explain yourself ?

Because Chris has felt it necessary to ask the question based on the bollocks our fans spout.

Chris can’t ignore the fans, and MM can’t ignore the question. It’s called professionalism

Because Chris has felt it necessary to ask the question based on the bollocks our fans spout.

Chris can’t ignore the fans, and MM can’t ignore the question. It’s called professionalism
I agree some of our fans spout a lot of bollocks but playing Hobson at RB was puzzling (though ultimately MM won't give a **** what fans think and nor should he). As said above I doubt he'll play there again but let's see. In my opinion it was a legitimate question.

I agree some of our fans spout a lot of bollocks but playing Hobson at RB was puzzling (though ultimately MM won't give a **** what fans think and nor should he)

True, myself included at times...but is it that puzzling?

Say he plays Dimi right back we weaken our midfield see post 8
If he plays White the same people moan about pace, breaking the CB pairing.

His only other options are then Halford, see above for White and Macca, see above. Plus Macca has been ****e recently.

My biggest ? On the 11 against Cheltenham was that Halford got in ahead of both Ferguson and Taylor. But I can understand the reasoning if they’re both needing a rest or tactically Halford is seen as the more physical to defend their main form of attack - long throws

True, myself included at times...but is it that puzzling?

Say he plays Dimi right back we weaken our midfield see post 8
If he plays White the same people moan about pace, breaking the CB pairing.

His only other options are then Halford, see above for White and Macca, see above. Plus Macca has been ****e recently.

My biggest ? On the 11 against Cheltenham was that Halford got in ahead of both Ferguson and Taylor. But I can understand the reasoning if they’re both needing a rest or tactically Halford is seen as the more physical to defend their main form of attack - long throws
Yeah Halford was in I think for his height and long throws. I’d have stuck Demi RB, kept Hobson/White at CB and played Ferguson or Macca in front of them (though Macca is a ticking time bomb at times). Ultimately I think we all have our views but MM is the one who makes his decisions and gets praised or crucified. Wouldn’t want to be a manager!

Unpopular opinion - Demi if fit has to start in midfield, off the ball he is the best we have in that position. He stops/limits/breaks up opposition play far better than anyone else we have in the middle of the park.

MM is doing a phenomenal job. Sick of reading the expert hindsight amongst our fanbase whether it's on that moronic FB group, Twitter or here.

Just perhaps he (MM) might have a much better knowledge of the fitness of our team than us

Tend to agree although I was not a fan early on when we were playing tippy tappy at the back and Demi was pinging balls backwards all the time. Since then and our big change in dropping the above style, if you can call that rubbish that, Demi has improved considerable in midfield. His knee is better than it was and he is being well managed. He gets about the park more than some realise.
In addition he rates as our best passer, especially in the last 2 games with the number of passes and accuracy, is second only to RHF with crosses and up their on assists, let alone useful if we ever get a penalty
So lets write him off as a midfielder

Like the calls to stop playing tippy tippy crap across our own penalty area, stop playing five at the back and stop being so miserably frightened of attacking?

Doubt it.
Did MM ever say "playing 5 at the back has been excellent"?

No, but he defended playing it, and continued with it for about 4/5 games all of which we lost if I recall (we cetainly didn't win any!)
We beat Barrow with a wing-back formation, and we should have beaten Cambridge if we had done better with the glut of first half chances we had. Very simplistic to say "X formation bad".

Back