• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Mark Molesley will not rush into making signings

I’m hoping the EFL know their rules scroll down the definitions
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/efl-rules--regulations/section-1----general/

You take a punt .... If they are not good enough at that age they need to drift into non league and get picked up later.
Wherever that was sourced from is incorrect, the EFL rules on squad limit exceptions are in section 43.9.2 of the rules here, it says under 21s are exempt:

(The EFL's glossary defines an Under 21 as anyone that wasn't at least 21 years old on 1st of January of whichever year the season began in (so next season that will be 1st January 2021).

Thank you both. We currently have 34 pros at the club

So for next season

Under contract and would count towards squad limit

Nathaniel-George
Phillips
Akinola

Under contract but would not count towards squad limit

Walsh

Club option, would count towards squad limit
Demetriou
Ralph
Clifford
Gard
Klass
Howard

Club option, would not count towards squad limit
Seaden, Osimeh, MItchell-Nelson, Egbri, Benton, Stewart, Rush

Out of contract, would count towards squad limit
Oxley, Bwomono, Kyprianou, Hobson, Lennon, White, Hart, Halford, McCormack, Dieng, Goodship

Out of contract, would not count towards squad limit
Richard Taylor, Kinali, Acquah

Loanees, would count towards squad limit
Kyle Taylor, Hackett-Fairchild

Loanees, would not count towards squad limit
Olayinka

The issue is how does a player aged 20 or above become part of the 21 man squad without getting a chance to prove themselves at that level? When you're stuck with a squad of just 21 you don't have room to carry someone who may turn out to be well short of the required quality.

Where's that from?

I was working from LincolnShrimp

This refers to players under 20 (which wouldn't include players aged 20) rather than under 21s.

That would save Acquah, Kinali, MIles Mitchell-Nelson, Walsh, Egbri for a season.

But not Howard, Gard, Phillips, Klass, Kypraniou, Clifford etc

Keep up granddad!
Dru Yearwood was born February 2000. He became a first team regular under Chris Powell. We're on our 5th manager since then.
Charlie Kelman was born November 2001.
Granted the players still on our books probably aren't as good as those two, but then neither are most of our current squad either.

i know it really hurts you to admit it but it was PB who gave Dru his debut and mad sure he was always involved and improving that season.

Dru went on the preseason tour. Dru was the only young player playing in the annual cricket match at Southchurch park. There were good reasons why he signed a 4 year deal. Yet other mangers simply had no idea of how to handle our best young talent.

MM is now paying the price, along with the fans who know its not his fault.

i know it really hurts you to admit it but it was PB who gave Dru his debut and mad sure he was always involved and improving that season.

Dru went on the preseason tour. Dru was the only young player playing in the annual cricket match at Southchurch park. There were good reasons why he signed a 4 year deal. Yet other mangers simply had no idea of how to handle our best young talent.

Was going to say. Forgetting the one last pay day merchants that's probably one of the best bits of business PB did.

Credit where credit is due, PB did very well with Dru (far better than he did with Payne) but so did SCP.

Dru’s injury in the Bristol Rovers game was a lengthy affair and wasn’t SCP’s fault.

We never got the chance to see what Bond could do because he was sold to Brentford before the first game. I think we know the answer though........

Was going to say. Forgetting the one last pay day merchants that's probably one of the best bits of business PB did.

Turns out if you make a young lad feel part of the first team squad and even play him ahead of his time. They and their family see a pathway to regular first team football and a great chance to progress to a higher level. Chances are they will sign a contract.

If you tell them they have no future in your plans or txt their girl friends, they cant wait to get out of the club asap. More to it than just picking a team at our level.

Last edited:
Credit where credit is due, PB did very well with Dru (far better than he did with Payne) but so did SCP.

Dru’s injury in the Bristol Rovers game was a lengthy affair and wasn’t SCP’s fault.

We never got the chance to see what Bond could do because he was sold to Brentford before the first game. I think we know the answer though........

I thought he managed Payne very well. The fee we got says so as well.

If the performances of SUFC this season haven't been MM's fault then exactly who is responsible?

If the performances of SUFC this season haven't been MM's fault then exactly who is responsible?

I have looked up the stats since 1906 and when you compare all the mangers who have taken over after we have been relegated on19 points, on and embargo, not been paying players, in finacial trouble and cant get out of it easily because of a world wide pandemic, cant open their training ground because it has to be deep cleaned and we cant afford it. Plus some of the players still left want out because of their treatment by the previous wrong'un.......Then MM currently has the best record of all the mangers who have been in that position.

Who would you blame....Apart from the Tories.

Unfortunately the situation is too complex just for one scapegoat.

Yes, Ron is at fault for a lot of what’s happened, but there are/have been a myriad of factors at play over the past 3-4 years that have lead to where we are right now.

Unfortunately the situation is too complex just for one scapegoat.

Yes, Ron is at fault for a lot of what’s happened, but there are/have been a myriad of factors at play over the past 3-4 years that have lead to where we are right now.

There are as you say a myriad of reasons for our plight but do you think we have maximised the points and the performances from the players available ? Could another coach/manager (realistically available to us) have put more points on the board ?

[QUOTE="Yorkshire Blue, post: 2321705, member: 1665"

Keep up granddad!
Dru Yearwood was born February 2000. He became a first team regular under Chris Powell. We're on our 5th manager since then.
Charlie Kelman was born November 2001.
Granted the players still on our books probably aren't as good as those two, but then neither are most of our current squad either.
[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite senile yet, the quote from LBBlue originally referred to "Anyone who was born on or after 1 Jan 2020" hence my hilarious riposte. Although now it has been edited I do look a bit of a tit.

I have looked up the stats since 1906 and when you compare all the mangers who have taken over after we have been relegated on19 points, on and embargo, not been paying players, in finacial trouble and cant get out of it easily because of a world wide pandemic, cant open their training ground because it has to be deep cleaned and we cant afford it. Plus some of the players still left want out because of their treatment by the previous wrong'un.......Then MM currently has the best record of all the mangers who have been in that position.

Who would you blame....Apart from the Tories.
Trump??

There are as you say a myriad of reasons for our plight but do you think we have maximised the points and the performances from the players available ? Could another coach/manager (realistically available to us) have put more points on the board ?

Of course it’s possible, but by no means was it obvious or even likely.

I wanted Fagan to get the job, but I don’t think he’d have necessarily done any better... and thank **** Adam Barrett saw sense and rebuffed Ron’s advances.

There’s one word I kept repeating in the summer; expectation. Some on here thought we were too big for this league, and expected us to be challenging for playoffs as a minimum. Some believed we’d finish comfortably in mid table, whilst some of us knew we’d be in for a rough ride.

As for the squad we’ve assembled, and whether it’s earned enough points for its value, I’d simply ask how many times have we consistently put out a full strength team, with a half decent bench?

The answer is subjective of course, but the fact that Macca, Taylor, Demi, White, Lennon, Ralph, Gard, Akinola, Olayinka, Goodship, Egbri & Greene have all faced extended spells on the sidelines and not been able to play regularly together, tells its own story.

I’d also suggest that whilst we’ve - admittedly - been poor in most games, we’ve been desperately unlucky in others, and could have easily earned ourselves another 10+ points.

Of course it’s possible, but by no means was it obvious or even likely.

I wanted Fagan to get the job, but I don’t think he’d have necessarily done any better... and thank **** Adam Barrett saw sense and rebuffed Ron’s advances.

There’s one word I kept repeating in the summer; expectation. Some on here thought we were too big for this league, and expected us to be challenging for playoffs as a minimum. Some believed we’d finish comfortably in mid table, whilst some of us knew we’d be in for a rough ride.

As for the squad we’ve assembled, and whether it’s earned enough points for its value, I’d simply ask how many times have we consistently put out a full strength team, with a half decent bench?

The answer is subjective of course, but the fact that Macca, Taylor, Demi, White, Lennon, Ralph, Gard, Akinola, Olayinka, Goodship, Egbri & Greene have all faced extended spells on the sidelines and not been able to play regularly together, tells its own story.

I’d also suggest that whilst we’ve - admittedly - been poor in most games, we’ve been desperately unlucky in others, and could have easily earned ourselves another 10+ points.

On the other hand, some on here didn’t think we would spend the first two months of the season in our own half passing and throwing the ball backwards or across our own goal or straight to the opposition and could have easily earned ourselves another 10+ points.

On the other hand, some on here didn’t think we would spend the first two months of the season in our own half passing and throwing the ball backwards or across our own goal or straight to the opposition and could have easily earned ourselves another 10+ points.

Again, it’s such a complex issue that one singular scapegoat is just too simplistic.

The fact that we started the season unfit played it’s part.

The fact that we started the season late, played it’s part.

The fact that our best players departed us, played it’s part.

The fact we started the campaign with a youth team, played it’s part.

The fact we had no balance across the park, played it’s part.

The fact that our defence was below average, played it’s part.

The fact that our midfield got overrun, played it’s part.

The fact our strike force was non-existent & offered no respite for that midfield and defence, played it’s part.

The fact we were under embargo, played it’s part.

The fact that we were - and still are - skint, played it’s part.

And let’s not forget that bad luck I referred to earlier. We were seconds away from 3 points against Exeter, we deserved all 3 points against Crawley, but didn’t receive any help from the referee with our stonewall penalty claims, and but for a freak misplaced pass against Oldham, we looked like the only team who’d win that game.

Who knows, maybe if we’d taken a deserved 9 points from those 3 games, instead of a meagre 2, then maybe our confidence wouldn’t have been as bad as it was, and we’d have had the belief in the side to play more adventurous, attacking football, instead of panicking every time we got near the oppo’s half.

I’ve often found that down here in the doldrums, too much emphasis is put upon formations & tactics. We’re not playing Premier League chess football, we’re Lg2 cloggers. The formula for success is simple... You need to be fitter, tougher & luckier than your opponents down here. Sprinkle in a goal-scoring starlet and a rock at the back, and you’ve got the recipe for a playoff chasing team.

MM made mistakes, sure. But with the situation at hand, I don’t think any manager would have been flawless.

Again, it’s such a complex issue that one singular scapegoat is just too simplistic.

The fact that we started the season unfit played it’s part.

The fact that we started the season late, played it’s part.

The fact that our best players departed us, played it’s part.

The fact we started the campaign with a youth team, played it’s part.

The fact we had no balance across the park, played it’s part.

The fact that our defence was below average, played it’s part.

The fact that our midfield got overrun, played it’s part.

The fact our strike force was non-existent & offered no respite for that midfield and defence, played it’s part.

The fact we were under embargo, played it’s part.

The fact that we were - and still are - skint, played it’s part.

And let’s not forget that bad luck I referred to earlier. We were seconds away from 3 points against Exeter, we deserved all 3 points against Crawley, but didn’t receive any help from the referee with our stonewall penalty claims, and but for a freak misplaced pass against Oldham, we looked like the only team who’d win that game.

Who knows, maybe if we’d taken a deserved 9 points from those 3 games, instead of a meagre 2, then maybe our confidence wouldn’t have been as bad as it was, and we’d have had the belief in the side to play more adventurous, attacking football, instead of panicking every time we got near the oppo’s half.

I’ve often found that down here in the doldrums, too much emphasis is put upon formations & tactics. We’re not playing Premier League chess football, we’re Lg2 cloggers. The formula for success is simple... You need to be fitter, tougher & luckier than your opponents down here. Sprinkle in a goal-scoring starlet and a rock at the back, and you’ve got the recipe for a playoff chasing team.

MM made mistakes, sure. But with the situation at hand, I don’t think any manager would have been flawless.

I hear all that and read your list.

Of course all your points have merit.

Fascinating though that you don’t acknowledge that tippy tippy crap ‘played its part’.

Stunning in fact.

Fascinating though that you don’t acknowledge that tippy tippy crap ‘played its part’.

Stunning in fact.

I suppose it comes down to whether you think tippy tappy football was a cause or effect.

Did we choose to play that way, or were we forced to play that way?

I’m not sure many of us would have been too enamoured with the traditional route one style hoofball, especially when the recipients were Kelman, Goodship, Acquah, Egbri and Greene.

Sadly, I remember those first 10-12 games quite vividly. The fact that the ball wouldn’t stick up front, would have been a problem for any system and any manager. Our midfield were forced to sit deep, which wasn’t a tactic or a gameplan. Our defence was made up, mainly, of players who had been playing non-league or Academy football the season before. Essentially MM had to pick the best style and apply it to what he had.

The fact that we changed styles as our squad got stronger, fitter & more resourceful was enough for me to see that MM knew what he was doing.

Stunning in fact.

What about chasing players families around Shrimperzone to wind them up. Did that play a part?

Back