• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Mark Molesley will not rush into making signings

We had loads of games in the last 2 years where we have conceded vital goals just before HT or very late on when we were trying to defend. Kyle Taylor hoofed the ball in the South upper on about the 93rd minute v Exeter and looked what happened.

Luggy was sacked because despite scoring plenty of goals the 'fans' didn't want hoofball.

Its no surprise that the very people who moan about MM the loudest also have slagged ever manger including Tilly. If its not AB they want the manger to fail.

Here is a fact the moaners gave the the players who took the p*** a licence to do so. We had Cox making it clear to Bond he wasn't going to do as asked from 50yds across the pitch and yet fans were shouting abuse at Bond.

Not only that the opposition new they could take the p as well. Blackpool at home first game of the season and their CB elbows Humphrys twice and no one in RH said a word not a player nor fan. So the same player sticks a nasty and deliberate red card (not punished) elbow in the face of Humphrys.....The very man who came of the bench to save us in the previous home game.

Again no one said a word (apart from me) because all eyes were on the bench as we were already losing. Simon Cox never said anything to the ref and refused to go up top whilst a dazed Hump was lost for 20 minutes. The crowd got angry because we were hoofing it and their CB's now had free headers to put as straight back under pressure. We ended up 3 down before H/T

We as a club lost Humphrys that day and that was the start of the disaster that lead to where we are now.

I still remember that. I thought I must have seen something not quite right as nobody said a word!

That’s not factually accurate though, is it?

OK.We've somehow won 5 matches this season.That's nowhere near enough to keep us up though.We looked like we'd turned a corner,granted we're now much more difficult to beat but frankly atm I just can't see where our next win is coming from.Without a creative midfielder and a goal scoring striker we're doomed to relegation this season.

I really appreciate the dogged defence of MM and how unhelpful negativity and 3 points tonight will change a lot ..

league 1 pros - Oxley, Dieng, White, JD

a reminder of MM signings .... Hobson, Macca, Halford, Louis, ANG, Sam A.

plus loans from Bournemouth

I really don't know how is 92nd in January 2021 acceptable ..
Why emphasise 92nd when criticising MM? I don’t remember him being the one that got us relegated to League 2.

We had loads of games in the last 2 years where we have conceded vital goals just before HT or very late on when we were trying to defend. Kyle Taylor hoofed the ball in the South upper on about the 93rd minute v Exeter and looked what happened.

Luggy was sacked because despite scoring plenty of goals the 'fans' didn't want hoofball.

Its no surprise that the very people who moan about MM the loudest also have slagged ever manger including Tilly. If its not AB they want the manger to fail.

Here is a fact the moaners gave the the players who took the p*** a licence to do so. We had Cox making it clear to Bond he wasn't going to do as asked from 50yds across the pitch and yet fans were shouting abuse at Bond.

Not only that the opposition new they could take the p as well. Blackpool at home first game of the season and their CB elbows Humphrys twice and no one in RH said a word not a player nor fan. So the same player sticks a nasty and deliberate red card (not punished) elbow in the face of Humphrys.....The very man who came of the bench to save us in the previous home game.

Again no one said a word (apart from me) because all eyes were on the bench as we were already losing. Simon Cox never said anything to the ref and refused to go up top whilst a dazed Hump was lost for 20 minutes. The crowd got angry because we were hoofing it and their CB's now had free headers to put as straight back under pressure. We ended up 3 down before H/T

We as a club lost Humphrys that day and that was the start of the disaster that lead to where we are now.

You're ignoring the fact that the last time we were in anything like this situation (circa 2010 IIRC) we appointed Paul Sturrock,a manager who knew the lower leagues well,to use his little black book to sign players, (I seem to remember a recent Barry Corr interview where he said that that there were just 4 players in his first training sesson in pre-seasonr.We stayed up that season,although it wasn't pretty to watch and evenually went on to greater things.

You're ignoring the fact that the last time we were in anything like this situation (circa 2010 IIRC) we appointed Paul Sturrock,a manager who knew the lower leagues well,to use his little black book to sign players, (I seem to remember a recent Barry Corr interview where he said that that there were just 4 players in his first training sesson in pre-seasonr.We stayed up that season,although it wasn't pretty to watch and evenually went on to greater things.

You can't make that comparison in this situation though as we were under an embargo for much of the start of the season and very restricted with who we could bring in. Sturrrock had the opportunity to pretty much sign a whole squad prior to the season starting.

Paul Sturrock didn’t have a transfer embargo for the first 3 months of the season. Without taking anything away from the great job that Sturrock did, Molesley has been given a much more difficult task. Paul Sturrock is also an unrealistic calibre of manager for us to target. Given that he is sadly too unwell to manage himself these days, who do you propose we could have brought in instead of MM that is capable of living up to Sturrock’s standards?

Sturrock was able to attract players that were more than good enough for L2 level. No manager would have been able to attract that level of player to the club this time around. Experienced or not.

He certaintly wasn't but MM has been tasked to keep us out of the conference.He's manifestly not up to the job.
I disagree. Our form since the embargo has been lifted has not been relegation form.

He certaintly wasn't but MM has been tasked to keep us out of the conference.He's manifestly not up to the job.

I didn't realise we'd already been relegated.

If MM keeps us up, he deserves the freedom of the town. The situation the club was in for his first four months in charge was unprecedented.

You can't make that comparison in this situation though as we were under an embargo for much of the start of the season and very restricted with who we could bring in. Sturrrock had the opportunity to pretty much sign a whole squad prior to the season starting.

It is a moot point as to whether MM would have been able to do any better with a squad consisting largely of his own players.Possibly.Possibly not.We won't know now until the close season (always assuming we're not under yet another embargo then of course. And assuming he gets another season in charge too,of course, after the worst season in the history of SUFC.

It is a moot point as to whether MM would have been able to do any better with a squad consisting largely of his own players.Possibly.Possibly not.We won't know now until the close season (always assuming we're not under yet another embargo then of course. And assuming he gets another season in charge too,of course, after the worst season in the history of SUFC.

He wasn't in charge during 19/20, where we amassed 16 points by March I believe.

Paul Sturrock didn’t have a transfer embargo for the first 3 months of the season. Without taking anything away from the great job that Sturrock did, Molesley has been given a much more difficult task. Paul Sturrock is also an unrealistic calibre of manager for us to target. Given that he is sadly too unwell to manage himself these days, who do you propose we could have brought in instead of MM that is capable of living up to Sturrock’s standards?

Sturrock was able to attract players that were more than good enough for L2 level. No manager would have been able to attract that level of player to the club this time around. Experienced or not.

I disagree. Our form since the embargo has been lifted has not been relegation form.

Then please explain why we're still stuck at the bottom of L2.

I didn't realise we'd already been relegated.

If MM keeps us up, he deserves the freedom of the town. The situation the club was in for his first four months in charge was unprecedented.

We haven't yet but I believe we will probably be eventually unless we sign a couple more players before the widow shuts.

FWIW, I agree with the rest of your post.

Then please explain why we're still stuck at the bottom of L2.
Because we played the first 3 months of the season with a squad that was barely good enough for the Conference giving the teams around us a massive headstart. Did that really need explaining?

If you look at the form table for the previous 10 games we are 11th. It’s a fact that our form post-embargo has not been relegation form, not an argument.

Because we played the first 3 months of the season with a squad that was barely good enough for the Conference giving the teams around us a massive headstart. Did that really need explaining?

If you look at the form table for the previous 10 games we are 11th. It’s a fact that our form post-embargo has not been relegation form, not an argument.

See post 137.No.

I you think our recent form (2 defeats in the last 2 games and probably another tonight) is anything but relegtion form,considering where we are in the table, then you're mistaken.

See post 137.No.

I you think our recent form (2 defeats in the last 2 games and probably another tonight) is anything but relegtion form,considering where we are in the table, then you're mistaken.
I said our post-embargo form is not relegation form. The form table says in black and white that we are 11th in the form table since the embargo has been lifted. How can I be mistaken if that’s a fact? Whether you think we can keep that up form based on the last 2 games is a different matter.

I said our post-embargo form is not relegation form. The form table says in black and white that we are 11th in the form table since the embargo has been lifted. How can I be mistaken if that’s a fact? Whether you think we can keep that up form based on the last 2 games is a different matter.

It'll be the last 3 games after tonight.

Back