• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Phil Brown sets targets for first full week in charge

Why only a 45 minute training session the day before a home match with a new manager.....? Exceptional circumstances call for exceptional actions surely....? Why not have a 60 minute 11 v 11 match then?

Why only a 45 minute training session the day before a home match with a new manager.....? Exceptional circumstances call for exceptional actions surely....? Why not have a 60 minute 11 v 11 match then?
He probably wanted to see how we got on Saturday first. Surely if brown watches his first game instead of trying to tinker to much he will get better understanding in whats required. He got all next week to implement his ideas upon the team.

I think a lot of his time on Friday will have been meeting and chatting with the squad and his backroom staff, having his 45 mins on the training ground, and then letting Sam Hall, Ricky Duncan and Craig Fagan lead the analysis and tactics session. Reaffirming the work that had gone into preparing for Crawley over the 4 days of training they had already had that week with MM, rather than confusing everybody by tearing everything up the day before the game. I do get the "exceptional measures" argument there, but I just don't think it would have been good timing for that. Next week he'll really get his teeth into it.

He probably wanted to see how we got on Saturday first. Surely if brown watches his first game instead of trying to tinker to much he will get better understanding in whats required. He got all next week to implement his ideas upon the team.

He could've watched replays of 6 games per day on video for a few days prior to being appointed (after all he's known the jobs been available for several months) and got pretty much the same info. I'm not sure what additional info he's learnt from Sat versus doing some homework

He could've watched replays of 6 games per day on video for a few days prior to being appointed (after all he's known the jobs been available for several months) and got pretty much the same info. I'm not sure what additional info he's learnt from Sat versus doing some homework
He probably has done to be fair. We did get a creditable draw at Morecambe. If brown made loads of changes and it went tits up, blame would be on him.

Players get animated in these sort of games, especially when trying to impress a new boss.
A couple of injuries for no palpable reason would have been madness.

Watching a team live is just as important as video. The camera doesn't always show our lack of movement off the ball.

When it does its truly shocking. Have a look at Ferguson hitting the post on Saturday...Then watch it again and keep your eye on Holmes, Elvis and Dieng? I think it was at the near post......Even under walking football rule we should have scored from the recycled cross.

Watching a team live is just as important as video. The camera doesn't always show our lack of movement off the ball.

When it does its truly shocking. Have a look at Ferguson hitting the post on Saturday...Then watch it again and keep your eye on Holmes, Elvis and Dieng? I think it was at the near post......Even under walking football rule we should have scored from the recycled cross.

I agree that watching live you see different things - but I still reckon an expert could pick up, lack of clinical finishing, lack of movement and lack of quality in final third from binge watching the last 18 games on video. You even give an example of the latter caught on a 2 minute highlight video!

But I also see that you probably don't want to change the preparation too much the day before a game as someone else mentioned.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, with games rapidly running out, did we have the luxury of 'wasting' a game so Phil can see what's wrong, when abit of homework/preparation could have got him 90% there. I'll guess we'll see this Sat how much he changes things around - I'm not sure what I'd do, really difficult. And the spread of votes in the pre match threads suggest shrimperzone can't agree what the best attacking 5 players are.

I agree that watching live you see different things - but I still reckon an expert could pick up, lack of clinical finishing, lack of movement and lack of quality in final third from binge watching the last 18 games on video. You even give an example of the latter caught on a 2 minute highlight video!

But I also see that you probably don't want to change the preparation too much the day before a game as someone else mentioned.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, with games rapidly running out, did we have the luxury of 'wasting' a game so Phil can see what's wrong, when abit of homework/preparation could have got him 90% there. I'll guess we'll see this Sat how much he changes things around - I'm not sure what I'd do, really difficult. And the spread of votes in the pre match threads suggest shrimperzone can't agree what the best attacking 5 players are.

I wouldnt wish that torture on anyone.

I wonder if he will try a few fresh faces on Saturday, it is a game we do not expect much from. Would allow others a rest so they are raring to go on Tuesday.
No point risking bringing back an injured player early for the Exeter game.

I wonder if he will try a few fresh faces on Saturday, it is a game we do not expect much from. Would allow others a rest so they are raring to go on Tuesday.
Resting players for Saturday? Have you seen our position in the table? If we lose on Saturday and Colchester win at home to Walsall (quite likely), we would be 7 points behind Colchester with only 4 games left.
People need to forget this stupid rivalry with our North Essex neighbours. Saturday is just as crucial as Tuesday and we need to go there looking to win with our strongest side.

According to the BBC report of Barrow Vs Exeter last night Phil was watching fro the stands. Looking at two future opponents in the flesh.

Could be Interesting really

Fagan/duncan: yeah walsh isnt Up to it, rush isnt ready, halfords better then acquah up front. Ang no no.

Brown: yeah **** off im playing walsh n rush and ang

According to the BBC report of Barrow Vs Exeter last night Phil was watching fro the stands. Looking at two future opponents in the flesh.
He was there, as has been mentioned on here before. Hope he learnt something he can put to good use and we are capable of carrying out. UTB COYB

Back