• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Phil Brown: This doesn't condemn us to relegation and we will keep fighting

He's being paid to be deluded/positive in an untenable position.
We all know where the buck stops !!!

Might be a bit early for a contribution from the other side of Essex but I'd be really disappointed with his management of last night for a few reasons but the most glaring error is that he pitched a 5'8" striker up against two CB mountains and asked your team to lob balls up to him. He also admitted that he was surprised Col U's defences weren't trying to play it out from the back but went more directly quickly into midfield/channels - that's negligent as he'd clearly failed to watch the team since Mullins took over as that's a key change he'd made which has led to upturn in results over previous 5 games (Oldham being the exception) and therefore negated (I guess) what he was probably intending but having pace and energy up front to close down the defence whilst they tried to play out.

To be entirely honest Col U played poorly (especially in the first half) but we got away with it because your tactics were just wrong and (I suspect) based on what Brown thought we did (or used to do). I'm surprised your players are copping so much stick when it seems pretty obvious to me that they were set up wrongly and asked to do the wrong things.

Apologies if my analysis is too soon or unwelcome but just found it so odd that Brown has seemingly been given largely a free pass on last night

Might be a bit early for a contribution from the other side of Essex but I'd be really disappointed with his management of last night for a few reasons but the most glaring error is that he pitched a 5'8" striker up against two CB mountains and asked your team to lob balls up to him. He also admitted that he was surprised Col U's defences weren't trying to play it out from the back but went more directly quickly into midfield/channels - that's negligent as he'd clearly failed to watch the team since Mullins took over as that's a key change he'd made which has led to upturn in results over previous 5 games (Oldham being the exception) and therefore negated (I guess) what he was probably intending but having pace and energy up front to close down the defence whilst they tried to play out.

To be entirely honest Col U played poorly (especially in the first half) but we got away with it because your tactics were just wrong and (I suspect) based on what Brown thought we did (or used to do). I'm surprised your players are copping so much stick when it seems pretty obvious to me that they were set up wrongly and asked to do the wrong things.

Apologies if my analysis is too soon or unwelcome but just found it so odd that Brown has seemingly been given largely a free pass on last night
In connection to the above....I mentioned on another thread that the players have gone from MM using pre-match and in week videos taken by drones of training and vidoes of the opposition and tactics to deploy to PBs lump it into the channels. PB rarely watched the opposition before playing them last time he was here and nothing changed. The above doesn't come as a surprise. PB relies on old school management...bluster bravado confidence experience. Which is fine if all are available to use. The latter two aren't. Nouble gave us an exhibition on what even just an average athletic big forward can bring to the party. We have nothing that compares with his average ability and athleticism. The guy got villified for missing a header and who can blame him for going elsewhere.

There's deluded, and making yourself look plain silly. I think it's more the latter !

That analysis looks spot on - I've said elsewhere it was the most tactically incoherent performance since Mohsni was asked to play centre-mid at Wembley - other than the bit about Brown not watching you. He made a big thing about driving a 650 mile round trip to watch Barrow. Surely even a chancer like him wouldn't have neglected preparing for the biggest match of the season?

He made a big thing about driving a 650 mile round trip to watch Barrow
In fairness, he was almost certainly there primarily to scout out Exeter who were our next opponents. Barrow being an added bonus we are playing them later in the season.

That analysis looks spot on - I've said elsewhere it was the most tactically incoherent performance since Mohsni was asked to play centre-mid at Wembley - other than the bit about Brown not watching you. He made a big thing about driving a 650 mile round trip to watch Barrow. Surely even a chancer like him wouldn't have neglected preparing for the biggest match of the season?

Barrow were playing Exeter so he killed two birds with one stone.

Last night would have been too soon and I think you’re being kind suggesting you were poor. We’ve seen a lot of poor sides this year and scratched our heads wondering how they’re doing well in the table, I personally thought you outplayed us in every area on top of us setting up so woefully.

Phil Brown is only saying what any manager would say, until it is mathematically impossible we are still in a relegation battle. My opinion - we are down already. Even worse based on last nights performance we look like relegation is on the cards for next season as well. One shot in 90 minutes of football by anyone's standards is appalling and that one shot grazed the corner flag. Just like Mr Martins Olympic career, Southend United are on one massive downward slide.
Another relegation next season is all I can see with the current group of players and Ron Martin still at the helm.

i think C ol U had worked out that Oxley is utter cr=p and pinged in a few soft long shots knowing he would spill one ..

if that failed they would have had to put a few crosses in -

and once you are one goal down life is tough and the next goal came from a poor clearance from a corner cos our keeper stays on his line in case anyone hurts him -

why he has not been got rid of 3 seasons ago I don't know ..

the points he has cost us and some omne told me he is highly paid ...

hahahahahahahahahahaha ..

not angry or bittter just remember when he got dropped for a kid from the reserves

The first goal last night came about because their player followed the original shot in case the keeper mishandled it which of course he did. Our guys never do that we have nobody with a goal poachers instinct. Maybe just once this season when ANG scored at Harrogate.

The first goal last night came about because their player followed the original shot in case the keeper mishandled it which of course he did. Our guys never do that we have nobody with a goal poachers instinct. Maybe just once this season when ANG scored at Harrogate.
To be fair nowone has the chance to run as we rarely shoot.
And if by some miracle we do get a shot off its normally wildly off target or a virtual pass back. My 2 year old has more goal scoring prowess.

I know I shouldn't but after today there's a small glimmer of hope inside me thinking Brown might be right, I'm very tempted to watch Barrow's march Tuesday.

I know I shouldn't but after today there's a small glimmer of hope inside me thinking Brown might be right, I'm very tempted to watch Barrow's march Tuesday.
No no he should just give up. Raise the white flag. No wonder we are where we are. This thread hasn’t aged well. We may not have a great chance but it one believing in and if the manager doesn’t the players sure as hell won’t

Back