• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United boss Phil Brown would be willing to speak to Simon Cox

Would you want Cox back

• Total voters
I would have cox back! This guy is a class above national league level and can find the net on a regular basis!! To all those cox haters why dont u want him?

Because he's not the player he was, and falls out with other players and won't even pass the ball to them. We're trying to rebuild a team spirit with a one for all dressing room apparently. Maybe Phil's not been told.

This is just paper news, of course Brown would talk to him. I believe Cox partner is from the town so more than likely will settle back down in Hadliegh, that dosn't mean he wants to sign him.

He has reached the age where it is easier to be injured and recovery takes longer.
He has reached the age where decline can occur and suddenly (yes, even in the National League).
If he was able to stay fit, play in most of our games and was at his best he could be a fantastic signing.
I saw him on TV here a few times playing for Western Sydney and he did not look anything special.
To me because of his age signing him only makes sense if he was to come relatively cheap.
I suspect would want to be paid very well. Good luck to him, and, I have no problem with him trying to maximise his earning power but I just do not think we should be the ones paying him.
We have been here before, and, it did not end well.
Michael Kightly anyone?
In the end it does depend on the cost but it seems to me this is exactly the type of signing we should be trying to avoid making.

I voted yes but on the basis we have no strikers who can hit the net regularly, although no guarantee Cox will either given his form in Australia.

I do think though we should only be singing over 33’s if the can add something we haven’t got already. I am not ruling out 30 year olds at all but they have to bring experience and be willing to help the younger lads too.

I have read on here the stories about Cox, and some say he was poor to wards Humphrys, that may or may not have been the case I do not know. People do not always get along but you have to work as a team (Sheringham and Cole spring to mind), that cannot affect the way you or the team play. I do know the SH isn't the easiest to get on with, I know this from his time at Fulham. He has always wanted to play in the north, even when he was there, and wasnt seen as a player who would bust his guts on the pitch. I know for he came back from an horrific injury early and kept us up v Sunderland, however I am told that is a rare exception.

I do not know him or Cox so wont besmirch them at all, but for me if any player can add then the club have too do their due diligence and see if that will work for the whole squad.

COuld it be a coaching role if we are interested the Same as for Timlin? I cant read the article as it says something about paying or what not

I was always impressed he seemed to be off doing his own training regime in advance of pre-season. What do I know? Do any of the ITK posters know he was a really bad influence or is this just a rumour that has built.
It's a load of rubbish! One of the best strikers weave had in the last 10 years ! Only behind Freddie eastwood and goater!

If you have been to Oz you will know that they are, can be, a very blunt and direct people.
Coxy as the new, bigshot, Pom in the dressing room there will have learnt a few things about how behaviour can affect a person and group dynamics.
Most fans seemed to be willing to give Nile a 3 or 4th chance with us and hoped he had learnt. There is a thread on what PB might have learnt about the dressing room onside rules.
Who can say if Coxy has considered his recent past?

I voted yes but on the basis we have no strikers who can hit the net regularly, although no guarantee Cox will either given his form in Australia.

I do think though we should only be singing over 33’s if the can add something we haven’t got already. I am not ruling out 30 year olds at all but they have to bring experience and be willing to help the younger lads too.

I have read on here the stories about Cox, and some say he was poor to wards Humphrys, that may or may not have been the case I do not know. People do not always get along but you have to work as a team (Sheringham and Cole spring to mind), that cannot affect the way you or the team play. I do know the SH isn't the easiest to get on with, I know this from his time at Fulham. He has always wanted to play in the north, even when he was there, and wasnt seen as a player who would bust his guts on the pitch. I know for he came back from an horrific injury early and kept us up v Sunderland, however I am told that is a rare exception.

I do not know him or Cox so wont besmirch them at all, but for me if any player can add then the club have too do their due diligence and see if that will work for the whole squad.

COuld it be a coaching role if we are interested the Same as for Timlin? I cant read the article as it says something about paying or what not
He was doing all his badges so he clearly thats the way he wants to go eventually.
BTW This season in Australia been in the squad for every game 9 starts 6 sub appearances 2 goals 2 assists. What is the A league? I think L1 standard the we lat had the debate.

1 year contract with the option of another year with financing for a coaching course. Would be fair I think.

He was doing all his badges so he clearly thats the way he wants to go eventually.
BTW This season in Australia been in the squad for every game 9 starts 6 sub appearances 2 goals 2 assists. What is the A league? I think L1 standard the we lat had the debate.
Yeah I watched a few of their games to see how he was doing but the standard wasnt the best to be fair, L1 at best for some. He didnt get on the last few games and then last weekend wasnt in the squad but now thats obvious why

I would have cox back! This guy is a class above national league level and can find the net on a regular basis!! To all those cox haters why dont u want him?

Because we should be giving squad places to players who are going to be hungry for success at both a personal level and a professional level. That professional level has to be for Southend United and be proud to pull on that shirt.

Finally I'm not a Cox hater. I'm just someone who believes that the squad place can be used more effectively.

What is it with this club signing ex players? They never work out and probably only come back just for the money. There are other players out there that are available and hungry to prove their talent. We need to look past the ex players and have a positive recruitment program that will add players to the squad who will actually enhance it.

Stan, PB, Tomlin and Cox. Sorry guys but I really want to go forward. Too many get hung up on past heroes and villains. Let's leave the past where it is and start anew.

Stan, PB, Tomlin and Cox. Sorry guys but I really want to go forward. Too many get hung up on past heroes and villains. Let's leave the past where it is and start anew.

I’m not with you on Stan, he is doing a lot of positive work alongside the club to plan for the future - & not getting paid for his time either.

Ha ha! A process that was served us well these past 3 seasons…! I suppose I was saying it in the sense of drawing a line under what has happened in the past but you are spot on.
S'ok, I understood your point perfectly. Just thought it was funny how far back this problem goes and how we didn't learn. I was hoping the penny did finally drop.

Let's hope Brown's statement is just him not wanting to say, "nah, I'm not interested in Cox".

Surely the question is more, do we want him back? Someone more in the know than I can maybe confirm but when he left last time, weren't we clearing bad (and probably expensive) apples from the squad???
I'm sure I won't be the only one saying no thanks. Squad splitter and lazy. Experienced player yes but not a good influence. Instrumental in too many problems before

You mean Timlin? Or have I missed something?

I think each on it's own merits.

Stan is working hard to change the way we are run and we desperately need this.

Timlin as a player, of course not, but as a coach, why not? Had a great, committed attitude which could be great to have around the place.

Cox. For me, no thanks.

Unless he is willing to come in on bargain basement dollar then no ta. Great player without a doubt but the stories about his attitude and the fact he is 950 means a definite no

Please please let's move forward and stop looking back.

Agree with many on here, it's time for young, hungry and ambitious players not sentiment and yet more potential injury prone players at the end of their careers ?‍♂️

Back