• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin explains how club would be boosted by new ground

Let me make it quite clear, I have no objection to Chairmen who pay themselves a salary or who use the contacts they make from running a football club to improve their own outside businesses.I certainly object to a crook like Anton Johnson (his autobiography proves he was a self -confessed wide boy) who embezzled funds from the Supporters club Xmas fund.The current Chairman is much cleverer than that.What he's done is to buy up the club's assets at a knockdown price and hang on to them knowing full well they'll be worth a fortune one day.What exactly a new stadium will be worth to SUFC if we lose our league status and can't generate any serious revenue streams from it in the future, is another matter entirely,of course.

No he didn't. Even Sainsbury's didn't buy it and they wanted the land at the time.

The Butcher of Rotherham, an expert at allegedly raiding the Christmas club funds long before Arthur Fowler had the idea.

Many of our younger fans probably never heard of him.

There was a picture in the paper a few years ago of Anton Johnson smiling with his arms round Harry Redknapps shoulder. Neither are the sort of people we want any near our club ever again. Ron, please take note.

Let me make it quite clear, I have no objection to Chairmen who pay themselves a salary or who use the contacts they make from running a football club to improve their own outside businesses.I certainly object to a crook like Anton Johnson (his autobiography proves he was a self -confessed wide boy) who embezzled funds from the Supporters club Xmas fund.The current Chairman is much cleverer than that.What he's done is to buy up the club's assets at a knockdown price and hang on to them knowing full well they'll be worth a fortune one day.What exactly a new stadium will be worth to SUFC if we lose our league status and can't generate any serious revenue streams from it in the future, is another matter entirely,of course.

Exactly ! from what he's told us so far, there is no financial planning for the long term future of SUFC. Until that is set in stone, he'll struggle to get the fans backing for his dream...and I think he'll need that to push it over the line.

Exactly ! from what he's told us so far, there is no financial planning for the long term future of SUFC. Until that is set in stone, he'll struggle to get the fans backing for his dream...and I think he'll need that to push it over the line.

That was fairly clear from the zoom meeting when the Chairman said that he couldn't make any plans until he knew which divison we'd be playing in! (Seem to remember hearing that line last season too). Only 9 games to go now folks!

That was fairly clear from the zoom meeting when the Chairman said that he couldn't make any plans until he knew which divison we'd be playing in! Only 9 games to go now folks!

so, we're just a bargaining tool depending on which revenue streams he thinks are appropriate nearer the time ? These were just two trumps cards he didn't mind committing to (because he knows they are not main income generators ?)

I understand Sainsbury were sold the dream at a later date, when they started to expand their network of stores. I'm with Tangled...I think the assets were picked up on the cheap, and he's held those trump cards ever since.

Nope the stadium move, supermarket and £millions in debt with the threat of the club going bust that season were all in place before Ron arrived.

The fact that some fans just cannot be honest about this and prefer to deceive our younger fans means we will never achieve anything with campaigns like SOS.

If you cant start from a place of honesty (not aimed at You) because of a personal dislike of Ron then everyone of us will suffer in the long run.

Nope the stadium move, supermarket and £millions in debt with the threat of the club going bust that season were all in place before Ron arrived.

The fact that some fans just cannot be honest about this and prefer to deceive our younger fans means we will never achieve anything with campaigns like SOS.

If you cant start from a place of honesty (not aimed at You) because of a personal dislike of Ron then everyone of us will suffer in the long run.

Perhaps you'd like to jump to the present and let those "younger fans" know what's in store for them in the near future in "Ronworld"? I suspect they've already got a pretty good idea.

...and currently...no new stadium, no supermarket interested and many more millions in debt and the threat of going bust every year ???

Back