• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin explains how club would be boosted by new ground

I don't think we should be gifted the stadium and I have always been grateful he kept the club afloat. I would like to see more come back to the club from Ron's successful punt at redevelopment. He paid 4m to take over and has bankrolled us ever since. With 502 houses going on RH the plot value alone has to be 25m. That's without the development, sales and rental revenues. I haven't mentioned the 800 houses at FF because, as much as they came about because of our club moving, they would have been built eventually regardless.

As I said before, Ron and SBC are the winners. I feel, morally, the club could be handed a more certain future from a fraction of the pickings. I know morality and business are not bedfellows but as Ron claims to be such a supporter, and I think he is, then he should be a little more grateful to the club that has realised his dreams.

So who is paying for the stadium to be built? Originally it was Sainsbury's.

The houses will not all be rented, they will be sold. Ron has said in the past that SOME of the flats built as part of the actually stadium will gifted to the club and can be rented out. Maybe that could be confirmed in the next 15 to 1 podcast.

I don't think we should be gifted the stadium and I have always been grateful he kept the club afloat. I would like to see more come back to the club from Ron's successful punt at redevelopment. He paid 4m to take over and has bankrolled us ever since. With 502 houses going on RH the plot value alone has to be 25m. That's without the development, sales and rental revenues. I haven't mentioned the 800 houses at FF because, as much as they came about because of our club moving, they would have been built eventually regardless.

As I said before, Ron and SBC are the winners. I feel, morally, the club could be handed a more certain future from a fraction of the pickings. I know morality and business are not bedfellows but as Ron claims to be such a supporter, and I think he is, then he should be a little more grateful to the club that has realised his dreams.

Thats terrible maths.

Even 1 bed flats cost around 200k
2 beds around 240k
3 beds 270k

502 at those prices is a vast sum.

Thats terrible maths.

Even 1 bed flats cost around 200k
2 beds around 240k
3 beds 270k

502 at those prices is a vast sum.

Its RH not Leigh-on-sea. Plus alarge percentage will have to be affordable housing.

So who is paying for the stadium to be built? Originally it was Sainsbury's.

The houses will not all be rented, they will be sold. Ron has said in the past that SOME of the flats built as part of the actually stadium will gifted to the club and can be rented out. Maybe that could be confirmed in the next 15 to 1 podcast.

If that were so, and a useful number, then it would be good. He may be paying for the new stadium but he is also going to own it and will recoup monies when he sells up. I feel sure it's in his interests to make the new stadium an ongoing, viable asset. When he sells it will be worth so much more if it has its own revenue streams and is not haemorrhaging money.

As there doesn't appear to now be the scope for concerts, conferences, commercial activity as the stadium is in the middle of a housing estate.
Was said in the meeting that there would be scope for conferences, events, commercial activity from the 1000 cap hospitality venue (that can be subdivided for multiple events) and that IIRC that there is scope still for concerts but probably not for larger ones that would fill the whole stadium (with the rationale that it would be hard for Southend to compete with the O2 for these). I presume this is where some of the additional self-sufficiency comes from.

We're essentially getting use of a probably ~£15-20m stadium and training complex without paying the capital cost of it at all ourselves and renting it on the same terms as our current loved but rather run-down place, I think it is a bit unfair to suggest we're not benefiting hugely.

Was said in the meeting that there would be scope for conferences, events, commercial activity from the 1000 cap hospitality venue (that can be subdivided for multiple events) and that IIRC that there is scope still for concerts but probably not for larger ones that would fill the whole stadium (with the rationale that it would be hard for Southend to compete with the O2 for these). I presume this is where some of the additional self-sufficiency comes from.

We're essentially getting use of a probably ~£15-20m stadium and training complex without paying the capital cost of it at all ourselves and renting it on the same terms as our current loved but rather run-down place, I think it is a bit unfair to suggest we're not benefiting hugely.
How much do a few bat mizvahs bring in then? Maybe enough to buy egbri some new boots....

Last edited:
love him or loath him the club has never gone into administation unlike many other clubs .He has allways pulled a rabbit out of the hat .He wants a return from his investment .Tell me what chaiirman of a football club or owner of a company does not want that .I doubt you will find many if any .

It wouldnt work in his favour if he took it into administration. If it did he would of done it I suspect, although his knowledge of business and strategy is clearly woeful. That's the only reason he hasn't. As soon as a business goes into admin he loses control. The administrators take their cut too.

love him or loath him the club has never gone into administation unlike many other clubs .He has allways pulled a rabbit out of the hat .He wants a return from his investment .Tell me what chaiirman of a football club or owner of a company does not want that .I doubt you will find many if any .

Surely if we did go into administration the Chairman would lose control of SUFC and its assets? Which is precisely why he won't allow this to happen.

Why would Ron hang around after the stadium is built?. He has waited long enough for the so called big pay day.

Trips to Sweden and Larson sitting with him in the stands said to me buyers rather than team mangers. Again its in Rons financial interest to build a decent stadium with plenty of additional revenue streams because any business that generates or has potential to earn more money is worth more.

Us fans never owned the club when Ron arrived we don't own it now and we won't own it when its sells it. Just like fans of nearly every other club. Lets hope he doesn't sell to the sort of people who took over Orient or Owen Oyston.

Surely the relevant point here is that when Roots Hall was built in 1955 it was built and owned by the supporters'club.Unfortunately they gifted it to the then Chairman Bill Ruben for nothing.

So to sum up then

non league

Losing our stadium and its history

**** new stadium

No covenant

No income streams That will come close to sustaining the club.

Dont own anything of real value anymore.

That about right?
Bang on I would say. Plus the 'careful what you wish for' camp want us to sit quietly on the sidelines and accept that this sh*tshow is the best we can expect for our club.

So to sum up then

non league

Losing our stadium and its history

**** new stadium

No covenant

No income streams That will come close to sustaining the club.

Dont own anything of real value anymore.

That about right?

Yep, that seems to be it, from what they've gleaned so far. I think we assume this, unless RM informs us otherwise.

Back